Sell or Trade the Speed Triple... Who has Regrets?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by optimum_malarky, Feb 18, 2010.

1. Canis Pugnax

Canis Pugnax Unnecessarily Mercenary

Oddometer:
    All men are tempted. There is no man that lives that can't be broken down, provided it is the right temptation, put in the right spot. :wink:
    Henry Ward Beecher
  2. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    i got rid of my s3, it had a crap gear change and harsh suspension. I wanted something fast to replace it but with some wind protection because the s3 was useless over 70 for more than a few minutes. I have a slow bike to ride that doesnt require as much focus so i got a gen 2 fz1 and got it all tuned so its got more speed than the s3 but not quite as raw
  3. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have the same problem. I own a 2003 Speed Triple and every time I think about trading it or selling it to buy something else , I wind up riding it and totally forgetting any desire to trade or sell her.Its to the point now mileage wise , its not going to fetch much , so I'll keep her.Maybe there is room for 3 MC's in the garage.:evil
  4. dogfm

dogfm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Street triple will make it better for you :1drink A less power and weight ... you know it makes sense
  5. BinDerSmokDat

BinDerSmokDat Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Interesting thread. I have an '05 Rocket 3 and have been wanting something more nimble for short trips. I like the idea of a Speed Triple or a Bonnie with sporty suspension.

While I keep the speed in check on the R3, I hadn't considered that the nimbleness of the S3 might make me take more risks, but it makes sense. I only wind out the R3 when there is plenty of straight or gentle arc fairly empty pavement ahead. With the S3 I might be more tempted to stretch the envelope in more twisted and crowded scenarios.

Maybe the Bonnie with some tweaks is the better choice.
  6. theblk1

theblk1 Dirt, pavement, whatever.

Oddometer:
    Simply not true. I have no problems riding well over 80mph for hours at a time.
  7. maddjack

maddjack UFO Pilot Supporter

Oddometer:
    Nor do I with the fly screen that is on mine.I am also mystified by the " rough shifting " comment. I think the tranny is as good as any I have owned.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:

I have an older T595, its a bit chunky compared to my other bikes, I've never really had an issue with it. I just learned to drag the rear brake a tad to minimize the driveline lash on down shifts. Compared to my 675 its a very heavy lever action, but I can't remember the last time I missed a shift or got a false neutral on mine.

I'm more comfortable without the flyscreen, I took mine off trying to track down a cluster rattle (100,000 mile 10 year old bike) and decided I liked it better with the gauges in the buff. The wind hits me a bit smoother, and lets face it, you can't really duck behind it anyway.
  9. FlyingScotsman

FlyingScotsman Crash Test Dummy

Oddometer:
    Get rid man...dangerous things these Speedies

[​IMG]

Pick up my KTM SD-R next week; gonna finish it proper this time:freaky
  10. Indiana_Jones

Indiana_Jones Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I sold my Daytona 600 to get my Scrambler.

Sometimes I miss her, but then I think about how much hassle it would of been come to service time or if I binned it (since there's no parts, instance write-off).

Can't compare the two bikes really, but I'm happy with my choice of getting a twin, it feels like a *real* Triumph and I'm having a blast with it :)

As for the speed, sure I miss the acceleration every once in a while, but as they say, it's more fun to ride a slow bike fast then it is to ride a fast bike slow. :freaky