Ride to Northern Sask.?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by ritetwist, Oct 24, 2013.

1. ritetwist

ritetwist Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone know of anyone who rode to, or attempted a ride to Wollaston Lake,Sask.?
    All gravel.Hwy. 102 north of LaRonge,conn. to 905 to Collins Bay.(~450 km.)
    3 hr. barge to Wallaston Lake town site.
    Just to say you did it.
  2. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
  3. leftshark

leftshark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    St. Albert Alberta and too many other places
    LOL Wollaston is for the weak of hard and the butter of frames..... Real men take the highway to the end..... Right to Stony Rapids at the end of the "seasonal" road. Glad to help if you want to plan or just chat about it. I got stories.
    Daniel

Ride video to Stony Rapids below

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wyu7kikSvu8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  4. grumpybear

grumpybear Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Looking in Google maps, it looks like Stoney Rapids is about as far north as you can yet via road. How seasonal is the seasonal road? Could a person do in a dry summer?
    grump
  5. leftshark

leftshark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    St. Albert Alberta and too many other places
    In the summer, depending on current conditions, and your disregard for your bike you could make the trip all the way to Stony Rapids at the end of the road. We made it all the way this summer in 2 days a direction from Saskatoon. Road to Points North is fairly good if a little washboardy and busy at time with trucks. Calcium gets pretty slick when wet. From Points to Stony is another story, talking to highways that maintains the road, this summer was particularly bad because of the lack of moisture did not allow them to work on the road. First 100 ish km is piled gravel and rocks that are embedded in the road sticking up about 3-5 inches. Very, very jarring at times. Next 40Km is wide path sand followed but 20 km of what was described as "moon dust" by one of us. The next 60km or remainder of the road to Stony rapids is/was about 5 inch deep shale gravel (best described as razor blades) that wasn't packed down because of no moisture. That all being said, we all had an epic time and would not have traded it for anything. Truly adventure riding at its finest. Scenery is incredible and well worth the effort. We were planning this adventure to try out our setups before doing the dempster next year but it turned out to be a lot more than that. We met a pair of guys in Points that had done the dempter the year before that made it to about 120km from Stony but had to turn back because of the conditions but we managed to get through. They said it was substantially harder than the dempster.

If you are planning the trip i can give you some specifics for planning. The information is vague at best for fuel and stops.
    Daniel

PS mechanically the bikes did well, only a broken panier rack on 1 bike for casualty and the welder at points saved us there.
  6. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    This trip sounds pretty interesting, I going to think about it for while. I have some trips planned for next year into BC and down to the lost coast but this might make a great trip for 2015 or in case the weather sucks in BC.

greg
  7. BordenBmw

BordenBmw TheFrenchRider

Oddometer:
    Went up there this summer!

Glad to help.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=917321

<object height="315" width="560">

<embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/14Vf0-s7rkY?hl=en_US&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" height="315" width="560"></object>
  8. grumpybear

Oddometer:
    BordenBmw, great video and links. Really got my interest now.
  9. OceanMtnSea

OceanMtnSea Pretty Dogged

Oddometer:
    exited middle Saskatchewan & entered middle BC
  10. RevyRider

RevyRider FXD Traveler

Oddometer:
    I grew up in Northern Saskatchewan, I still consider it to be home in some ways even though I haven't lived there since 1986. I used to go up north of La Ronge every year on a fishing trip, usually no further than Reindeer Lake. Just loved it up there! Best fishing anywhere!!
  11. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We went up as far as the Churchill (green iron covered bridge) this summer with truck and campers, family camping. Ive been up as far as points north when I was younger.

Hard to beat northern Sask, its peacful and quiet, I would love to ride all the way up to the end of the road someday.