New Zealand Planning

Discussion in 'Asia Pacific' started by Bumpaman, Nov 13, 2012.

1. Bumpaman

Bumpaman Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Foot of the Sangre de Cristos and Music City, TX.
    Well, my request for a New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas has not gotten many replies, so hopefully this one will. We are planning to be in NZ late Jan through early Feb 2013 and I am seeking input on lodging in a few specific areas. We are looking for multi night lodging reccomendations in Gisborne, on the north island, the Takaka/Abel Tasman Park area and Queenstown on the south island. We are 4 adults and are looking for lodging that is nice and clean, fairly economical ($100 - $150 NZ a couple/night) but all suggestions are welcome. Also, any reccomendations on day rides from these areas would also be greatly appreciated. We will be on GS1200's. This is a once in a lifetime trip for us and any help with planning is so greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance
  2. Batman640

Batman640 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  3. Bumpaman

Oddometer:
  4. jondirt

jondirt City rider

Oddometer:
    Routes - You are probably fairly far along, definitely check out http://www.adventureguide.co.nz. They have lots of routes with different gradings. You can get a used copy of the New Zealand Motorcycle Atlas on Amazon.

Accomodation - I can't give specific recommendations (just started my trip) but I bounced between TripAdvisor.com, Booking.com and Jasons.co.nz to find motels. I am also packing camping equipment, and the DOC Campsites are a good bet.

The KiwiBiker forum is also a good place to look - they have an Adventure Bike section in the forum.

Have a great ride!

Jon
  5. dgeezer

dgeezer If you are gonna be dumb, you need to be tough.

Oddometer:
    Try www.bnb.co.nz

I stayed with a fisherman wife,
    stayed on a sheep farm , stayed on a cattle ranch.
    All found with the "Blackbook". I think you can order online.

From $30 anite to $100.
    degeezer
  6. dgeezer

dgeezer If you are gonna be dumb, you need to be tough.

Oddometer:
    Plus there is an "i" center in almost every town(even the smallest)
    the " i " being for information. Big sign usually.
    I enjoyed many hostel stays too. But at hostels,
    you really just meet other travelers, not locals so much.
  7. sinned

sinned Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Not sure if you may have stumbled on trademe.co.nz (similar to eBay and Amazon) where all kinds of items, products and services are auctioned and sold, including accommodation. Some is commercial like rooms in motels, hotels and camp sites, while some are Bed & Breakfast (BnB), peoples homes or rooms in private homes etc. There are some pretty good deals going at the moment, and there are plenty Gisborne accommodation options available. If you happen to be in one of the (armed or civilian services e.g. military, fire, police, ambulance) then there are some reciprocal accommodation options. You can search that out for yourself if it applies, or PM me for more info.

Enjoy your trip regardless, but just a warning that the South Island is having a spate of bad weather at the moment...
  8. Bumpaman

Oddometer:
    Thanks to you all so much. You have been a great help and we leave in a week.
  9. Tagger

Tagger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Have fun !

keep us posted on how the trip goes :)
  10. Pomgolian

Pomgolian n00b

Oddometer:
    Guess you are pretty sorted by now, NZ motorcycle atlas if you dont have one yet is a good atlas both tar & gravel routes with descriptions, if you get down to Milford sound the route in & out is magical, then Movara lakes DOC camp then steam boat to Queenstown, just check they can take four bikes as there is not much space but easy loading & unloading right onto Queenstown centre.