GUN TO MEXICO or CENTRAL AMERICA???

Discussion in 'Latin America' started by kantuckid, Jan 5, 2008.

1. Steve G.

Steve G. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Should one even consider NOT taking asprin or Ibuphrophen with them? Those morning after times after an evening of Mezcal do require a back up plan after all.
    Ciao, Steve
  2. BuellBob

BuellBob Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Got it! Thats good enough for me.
  3. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    I represented a bailbondsman who crossed from San Diego into Tijuana to recover a fugitive. The dipstick had a gun, duct tape, a gorilla mask, a hunting knife, rope, and a machete in his trunk. He and two of his compatriats (one of whom was a female) were arrested when the police responded to the neighbor's emergency call. Apparently, they cornered the fugitive in his garage. The police arrested the gringos, and they spent the next 10 months in a Mexican jail. It cost my client over $60,000 in legal fees to get out, and he is barred from returning to Mexico. :pep
  4. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    One of the cops was killed, along with his wife, his twelve year old daughter, and his four year old daughter. This is new territory for even the most ruthless of the narcotraficantes. They NEVER go after families.

Things are blowing up in Tijuana right now. There is a war between rival cartels, and they are both being squeezed by increased enforcement at the border. They are now resorting to ransom based kidnappings to make ends meet, and the level of violence has increased exponentially.

I still am going to Tijuana every other day for work, but I am maintaining a high degree of vigilance. Always know where you are, and always have an escape route planned.
  5. hayduke357

hayduke357 hayduke357

Oddometer:
    no hell no and that goes for shell casings and other junk. If you take your bike hunting and have left over shells or casing they will get you for that to. and don't confuse mota and manta. just saying. :jose
  6. enduro-ince

enduro-ince dirtslave

Oddometer:

That shit is crazy, be careful down there.
  7. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Actually, it is a federal offense for an undocumented person to possess a firerarm in the United States. And, incidentally, a person cannot be illegal.
  8. lost...

lost... Guarior

Oddometer:
    Oh, come on guys. Take at least 4 pistols with you whenever you travel in mexico. One in the boot, one strapped under each arm, and one in the tank bag for easy access. If you can get a class 3 for a silencer, purchase it before you go. You never know when a silencer might come in handy. Grenades would be ideal as well, because of the shock the concussion will leave your attackers/banditos in. One person, when fully equipped and outfitted, can handle anywhere between 4-20 banditos holed up in a big compound. Good luck!

This message will self destruct in 15 seconds.......

:D
  9. Miguel AL

Miguel AL Always on the Run

Oddometer:
    Quetzal:

I don't know you and have never been to Mexico. BUT I am a Federal Police Commissioner here in Brazil, and part of our duties is related to Immigration. I have seen lots of Europeans and Americans doing stupid, illegal things, that start their argumentation just like you said: "Oh, you cops only want to get back at me because I have a better life than yours". I would like to clarify some things, because I felt somewhat hurt from what you said:

1. We do not like to arrest stupid tourists that think it is OK to run naked and drunk in a Mall on a Saturday evening. We do that because it is our duty, but I sure prefer to arrest a very dangerous drug lord.

2. In my country, just like in yours, having money helps a lot when you are arrested, because you can spend it on a better lawyer. Having money WILL NOT grant you a Free Jail card, unless you are playing Monopoly.

3. Sure, I would like to have Armani suits and Oakley glasses just like the FBI agents in all those fancy American movies. But I can get along just fine without them, and will not tolerate disrespect from ANYONE thinking that because my clothes are not fancy suits or silk ties that means I am just an idiot in for some easy bribe money.

4. I don't know how it is in your country, but here, if a cop lets a FELON (yes, that's the name for someone carrying an illegal gun here) walk, the officer is in deep S***. He will loose his job and do some time in jail, typically four years.

Finally: here I have full carry privileges. I can even carry my guns in commercial planes. Nobody can prevent me from entering ANY place open to the public - including amusement parks, churches, courts or government buildings - because I am armed. Even so, if and when I go to another country I don't expect the same treatment from them. If at any time in my life I can get the money to visit, let's say, the USA, I do not expect them to grant me the privilege to carry a weapon. I know that there I will have not the rights of a citizen, and will not complain about that.

I only expect enjoying full citizenship in my own country. That's the way things are all around the world.

Best regards,

Miguel
  10. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

:lol3 :wink:

Excellent post Miguel, and very well said!
  11. bongodave

bongodave Fixing Stupid

Oddometer:
    +1
  12. Quetzal

Quetzal Guatemalan Import

Oddometer:
    Miguel,

Have you read the title of this thread? Does it say or mentions BRAZIL or Brazilian police in any place or ir any way?

I am from Guatemala and have traveled trough all Central America and Mexico very extensively, so I do know what I'm talking about from very first hand experiences.

I do not care if you are a Federal Police Commissioner in Brazil, nor I care how you guys handle your gun affairs over there. If you I felt somewhat hurt from what I said about something in a very different context than yours, it's because you choose to, and it's your problem, not mine.

Keep up the good work.
  13. TexasRT

TexasRT Dual Sport RT

Oddometer:
    Great response with a fine piece of logic that every traveler needs to understand. Yes, there are plenty of examples of corrupt police and for every one of these there are several examples of police cutting a traveler some slack.
  14. Pelon

Pelon Dia Por Dia

Oddometer:
    Ei . . . Gringo Feo . . . no mames, ei?

His reply was good and on point. Now go lick your wounds.
  15. colomtnbiker

colomtnbiker wimpy old guy

Oddometer:
    Very well said Miquel. I wish I was going to ride in Brazil someday and be able to meet you.
  16. Miguel AL

Miguel AL Always on the Run

Oddometer:
    You will be welcome. We have a big group here (check www.xt600.com.br) and can help a fellow rider all over the country. As a matter of fact, many riders get support from this group. The only problem occurs when they try to handle all the beer thats offered on the parties along the way :freaky
  17. giblets

giblets Membrana Profunda

Oddometer:
    well thought out reply, miguel.

:freaky
  18. haggeo

haggeo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    great reply miguel :thumb.

if anyone winds up in a mexican jail for carrying a gun please take pictures and post a "ride" report if/when you make it back.

thanks.
  19. skag

skag No Monkeys

Oddometer:
    Last I heard, the standard sentence for simple possession of a firearm in Mexico is 7 years.
  20. PirateJohn

PirateJohn Banned

Oddometer:

In fairness, there are some provisions for possession of a firearm in Mexico and I seem to recall that certain narrow categories of gringos can legally possess: those who are permanent legal residents and perhaps bird hunters.

Or at least that's what I have read on some of the forums that I am on which have a number of folks living in Mexico.

With that said the penalties for screwing up one's permits are so harsh that the short answer for the gent who started this thread (and he wasn't any sort of hot head or anything - he thanked us earlier in the thread) has to be to positively, absolutely, NOT think about carrying in Mexico.

That, and I doubt that there is any way that you could legally carry while riding or driving. I have heard that you can get a weapon from the military for household defense but that it has to remain in your house. :deal

At any rate, way beyond the scope of what the original poster had in mind.