World Record Tuk tuk drive needs advice!

Discussion in 'Trip Planning' started by TukTheHighRoad, Apr 12, 2012.

1. TukTheHighRoad

TukTheHighRoad n00b

Oddometer:
    September 1st 2012 sees us (2 brothers) setting off, from London, to begin a world record journey on a Tuk Tuk (Thai 3 wheeled Taxi). This is the longest journey ever attempted by one of these vehicles and will take in the seven modern wonders of the world and covering 4 continents. Taking in world heritage sites and other sites of interest on the journey.

Although extensively travelled, we have not lived all over the world and therefore we would appreciate any advice on what to see / avoid, which local events / festivals will be taking place on our route. We would also appreciate moral support by people waving, saying hello and joining in the excitement as we pass along the way.

We are undertaking this journey to show that that the world is, indeed, a small place, full of wonder and adventure! No matter where we come from, we have more in common than we realise. In addition it will raise funds for 2 charities that are very close to our hearts.

If you wish to find out more about exact times and route visit our website at www.tukthehighroad.com

Follow us on Facebook for up to date information!

Track us on Twitter

If you click the “like” button then the exact times / dates of when we will be passing through your area will be sent to you by e mail before the event.

We would really appreciate any helpful tips and advice from anywhere you live or have travelled that will help us to achieve this world record.
  2. Wolfgang55

Wolfgang55 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good Luck!
  3. TukTheHighRoad

TukTheHighRoad n00b

Oddometer:
    Thanks! :-)
  4. willys

willys Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good luck from misplaced Brit....your adventure has great potential.

I have wondered about those 3 wheeled machines, where did you buy it from, country wise I guess and was there any issues getting it into England? I live in Canada at the present and have always looked back at the vehicles we could get back home. But the rules and regulations here are much stiffer to allow some of the more interesting vehicles to be imported.
    I also didn't realize they made such large cc'd engines for them. That makes them much more usefull for us over here as the distances are much greater.

Again...I'll be following you on your adventure...it gets my blood stiring for a RTW motorcycle adventure also.

Good luck.....:freaky
  5. TukTheHighRoad

TukTheHighRoad n00b

Oddometer:
    Hi there,

We actually bought this from ebay of all places! It was imported by a company in Brighton or Southampton I think. It is fairly easy to get things into the UK if you are willing to deal with the DVLA. This Tuk Tuk is a Thai one, most of the engines are this sort of size. We actually heard of one the other day that had an engine over 1000cc, this would cruise at 90mph! Scary!

If you get on an RTW then we can meet up on the way!

Thanks for your support!

TTHR!.
  6. Littlepeter

Littlepeter Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    You should contact these guys (see link below). I don't know them, but they are from my home town. They traveled across India in a similar vehicle. Best of luck on your adventure!

Peter

http://www.eagarbros.com/
  7. Gornzilla

Gornzilla Registered Slob

Oddometer:
    Wow, great! I couldn't get my bike shipped to India. Problems with the Aussie government. I was pretty close to driving/riding one of those around, but got an Enfield instead. I still don't know which would've been better.