The All New LIQUID COOLED R1200GS threadfest

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by Dorsicano, Feb 3, 2011.

1. Marki_GSA

Marki_GSA Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's in the name Controller Area Network. CAN is nothing more than a network same as WAN and LAN. It does the same job as what is connected to you computer right now. The difference being its a lot more robust and meant for vehicles. On its own it doesn't do anything. It isn't responsible for putting lights on or messing with the accessory socket. All it does is let the computers that do control all that talk to each other. Oh and it is only 2 wires.
  2. Sailorlite

Sailorlite Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    What is the date of the industry trade show at which this new BMW might be introduced?
  3. tagesk

tagesk Tuscan rider

Oddometer:
    How nice it is to live in the vicinity of EICMA :deal

[TaSK]
  4. Dorian

Dorian huge carbon footprint

Oddometer:
    Stop for gas. Unlock gas cap. Set key on pump. Fill bike and close gas cap. Start bike (without key it's still on the gas pump). Ride off. Miles/hours later stop for fuel. Hmmm... now where's that damn key?! :becca

Well, that's what I'd probably do.

- Dorian
  5. flightestman

flightestman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what do you think looks better, the liquid cooled or the air/oil, dislikes? likes? it look too futuristic. LED running lights and dials very future looking, frame and swing arm look the same. Probably will leave the same ESA setting like the GT has. Whats the That big LCD screen think it going to look similar to the GT/GTL which isn't a bad thing, but my fear is confirmed it looks too modern for a adventure bike and it lost some of it BMW dash cues with the new screen but at least they kept the fins on there hated the smooth sides they also raised the piston higher up for better lean angles. Wonder what the hp will be like to hear its new sound. How long with RT take to come out so i can test drive against the GT for my next all road bike.

Attached Files:

6. NZRalphy

NZRalphy I'm not half as good as I think I thought I was

Oddometer:
    Errr.....you'll only get 10-15m before the bike gets out of range of the key and you stop. Sigh
  7. JimVonBaden

JimVonBaden "Cool" Aid!

Oddometer:
    Actually, the bike will stay running until you shut it off. This is typical of these kinds of "keys".

Jim :brow
  8. SQD8R

SQD8R Eat squids and be merry

Oddometer:
    Hey GB, there you go again, tossing logic where it doesn't belong, namely internet forums. :lol3

Reminds me of when the 12GS came out and everyone was on about it being supermoto-like :huh compareed to the 1150, and too light and not as reliable as the 1150... like when the 1150 came out and the 1100 crowd said... :norton

Personally, I like it. Toss it into a new HP2E or HP2S and I will buy it.
  9. dmac57

dmac57 Long timer

Oddometer:
    This is correct. You get a "key out of range" warning.
  10. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    Yeap, It's actually happened on the Multistrada....although the bike can also be started with a password on the display which is nice, but it doesn't help you find your $200 high tech fob.....
  11. EJ_92606

EJ_92606 Rider

Oddometer:
    No warning on the Multistrada from what I hear.
  12. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    OK, let's forget about keyless ignition then :-)
    I'm sure we'll need something else. Cruise control analog K1600GT?
    We're already using the same handlebar controls and ride by wire > Easy.

[​IMG]
  13. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    Say you have a PC or Mac, and it's hooked to a printer via a USB cable. When you print a document, do you imagine that the USB interface did the printing? Or, are you clear that the printer did the work, and the USB interface merely carried data?

That's how a CAN interface works. It doesn't turn on a headlight, any more than it prints a document. The CAN interface merely carries data to and from complex devices. The CAN interface is unaware of the data it's carrying. The CAN interface is no more aware of what type of data it's sending than a USB interface is.

The smart money says that the explanation will prove pointless. :D You know, because everybody knows that the CAN interface powers and controls everything. :wink:
    <BR>
  14. Spyker

Spyker Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So this is something similar to the 1-Wire technology from Dallas we use for real time clock and temperature switches? The wire is only the physical layer and it's unaware of what data its carrying?
  15. Poolside

Poolside Syndicated

Oddometer:
    In the same way that an Ethernet network for your computer is unaware of what data it's transporting, only that it gets it from point A to point B unchanged.

Same 'data ignorance' say for, FireWire, Thunderbolt, SATA, PATA, HDMI, DVI, RS232, Parallel, HART, Modbus, Profibus, Fieldbus, etc., etc., as well as all the wireless data protocols such as WiFi, Bluetooth, and ZigBee.

The CAN network only moves data between a network of controllers. Hence the name Controller Area Network.

<BR>
  16. Emoto

Emoto Sure, why not?

Oddometer:
    He and the bike have the same nose! :rofl
  17. tallguy-09

tallguy-09 Smile 4 Miles

Oddometer:
    Who needs a 2013 if the 2012 is the "preferred choice for movie and rock stars"?
    And how about the "6-speed transmission that's useful when driving in challenging terrain"? :D

Actually this makes me think that a dual clutch tranny similar to Honda Crosstourer would be nice, would it?

[​IMG]
    Vancouver Sun 2012-01-06
  18. Ducksbane

Ducksbane Quaaack!!!

Oddometer:
    Im pretty sure it does warn you ... up to the rider to notice I guess. :D

I think you would develop a system to check, like the one I have for my wallet and phone ... always check you have them before you go far from your last stop.
  19. flightestman

flightestman Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    So what do you think about the new liquid cooled boxer looks. Does it look good or doesn't look good?

Attached Files:

20. kiwiAdventure

kiwiAdventure Long timer

Oddometer:
    It would be nice for the 2013 to have an option for heated seats, speed control and bluetooth. Speed control would be most helpful in stopping some speeding tickets. :wink: