Guatemala to Alaska and Back

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by GuateRider, Feb 17, 2012.

1. ficoszac

ficoszac y...ahora???

Oddometer:
    hola amigos, no puedo contestar por inbox, te recomiendo que mejor tomes la ruta, hidalgo-jimenez-torreon-zacatecas, el costo del cuarto en el hotel posada de los condes av. juarez 107 zacatecas zacs, costo de $370 por noche, mi tel es el 492 112 3574, si quires te puedo reservar una habitacion, parking on the lobby, saludos:1drink
  2. Cubdriver

Cubdriver Mostly Vertical

Oddometer:
    Julio and Luisa, I have been following your RR With much interest. We met at Rob's house in Wasilla. Congratulations on a successful trip. It was a pleasure to meet you. Dick. (green shirt in the BBQ pix)
  3. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    After 2 days out in the woods at the Basaseachi Falls (this time with water:D) we arrived today in Creel where we met my good friend Shawn, who rode his bike down all the way from Kansas City just to spent a few days with us :clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

Really great to see him again :D:freaky:D
  4. TRAVELGUY

TRAVELGUY Old Traveler

Oddometer:
    Please post some photos of Creel. I'm going there in January and would like to have a preview. Glad you had a enjoyable trip to the states. I hope to meet you whenever I get back to Guatemala.

TravelGuy.

5. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Regards were passed on, just spent a pleasant afternoon and evening with Shawn .

Gracias !!!
  6. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Hi Dick, good to have you along . I still dream about your pickeled Halibutt :evil:evil:evil
    The trip is not over yet , we still have a long way to go and lots of new places to see .
    Cheers

I posted a lot of pictures when I came through Creel on our way up north in May ; we spent a week here in the area, hiking, riding down to Batopilas.... Tons of pictures,look them up. Be prepared for cold temperatures in January, maybe even some snow
    Would be great to meet you in Guate
  7. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mex 16 from Hermosillo to Chihuahua is a great road, pretty soon after Hermosillo the mountains start and it seems like the twist and turns will never end

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We had a great lunch here at this place in Yecora,good traditional Mexican food :clap:D:clap

[​IMG]
  8. AceRph

AceRph Retired slacker

Oddometer:
    Pics aren't working, Julio. Check the permissions.
  9. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for telling me, on my computer it worked stillfine but now that I checked on another one I saw what you mean. I have to find out what happened
  10. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    We have been in Basaseachi in May on our way up north, but there was no water at that time . So I was really looking forward to see this fall with water . We stayed at a nice place , less then 1 KM from the mirador away . Nice cabins with fireplace, kitchen and gas heating in the bedroom

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had seen similar construction technique in cabins around Lake Tahoe

[​IMG]

The next morning we hiked up to the viewpoints of the fall

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Another nice way to enjoy the spectacular views

[​IMG]

At night it gets pretty cold up there , way below freezing point

[​IMG]
  11. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yesterday I went to the Divisadero,Copper Canyon with my friend Shawn,aka nailit2em.
    It was very strange coming back to this place , that impacted us in a very significant way on our way up north . I don't know how to explain it, but it was not the same . I was again impressed by its breathtaking beauty, but the magic of the first time was gone . We were not sure if we should go back to some of the places we liked most on our way up...now I know . We will remember those places with all the magic of the first time, maybe in a few years , but not now.
    But we definitely will visit some of our friends that we made on our way up north; people and places are two different issues.
    Yesterday I didn't take any pictures of the Barrancas, I have hundreds in my mind and my computer . I took quiet a few of my friend Shawn , because that's what yesterday was all about : Getting a chance to ride with him and to show him what was an important part of our journey
    Thank you for taking the effort and ride all the way down to visit us :clap:clap:clap

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  12. klous-1

klous-1 Man on a bike

Oddometer:
    I remember reading Ted Simon's "Return to Jupiter" where he re-ride his trip, though some thirty years later, which filled me the idea that going back anywhere is a bit of a no-no. He seemed to be fairly well disappointed the whole time, though perhaps didn't say as much.

Makes me think too, I've been riding some really nice places recently and was thinking "Why is this not as good as the last few days...which weren't as beautiful but somehow I was really happy there and in awe...here I'm just....not. But shouldn't I be?" and so, what makes a good ride and a bad one, and does it really matter what you see or is there "something" else more important? And what is that, and how can I find it?

Or, even, is it's all just a big fat waste of time? :eek1 (It's not...just kidding!)
  13. Radioman

Radioman Moto rider Supporter

Oddometer:
    have to remember not to re-ride. i have fond memories of riding copper canyon last year on our way in Mexico. Stunning!!

Ride safe!
  14. tymetrvlr

tymetrvlr Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did tonight's earthquake affect your home at all?

I hope not!

Nice views!
  15. nailit2em

nailit2em Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  16. motorradrudi

motorradrudi tourguide

Oddometer:
    Great RR and pics!:clap:clap:clap

Thank you very much!

Best greatings from Germany
    Rudi
  17. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do believe that there is something else, it's not so much about what you see, but how you see it .
    What is it ? Maybe your level of energy at the moment???
    How can I find it ? Don't look for it, let it find you

:freaky
  18. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:
    On my 30 month long trip around South America in the late 70 and early 80 I stuck to the idea of never going back, and it worked out fine for me . I still carry great and magic memories with me.

Ride safe and keep smiling !
  19. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer:

Hi Barb,
    thanks for asking . Unfortunately it did affect a property of mine in Guatemala City; the damage seems to be not to big,they are still working on the evaluation.

Glad you are enjoying the views :D
  20. GuateRider

GuateRider Long timer

Oddometer: