Desierto 3 Fairing for F800GS, whose got one?

Discussion in 'Parallel Universe' started by AKTroy, Dec 10, 2009.

1. DockingPilot

DockingPilot Hooked Up and Hard Over

Oddometer:
    Also: Those plastic knurled nuts will vibrate loose in quick order. Watch them and take the nylock nuts with you in case you loose them.
  2. RV8Pilot

RV8Pilot Blue,Green,Blue,Gree..... Supporter

Oddometer:
    What he said:clap

DSC00722.jpg
  3. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :thumb excellent!
  4. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    If it matters, those brass nuts are only pressed into the fairing, and the fit on mine were pretty loose...loose enough that if I were to bolt down something like in the above linked picture, it would rattle around.

I'd reccomend using a bolt and nut like the BMW touring screen uses at that spot, or at least put a big rubber o-ring around the brass nut or something.
  5. Guy Jinbaiquerre

Guy Jinbaiquerre Monorail Conductor

Oddometer:
    Wow, what kind of seat is that?
  6. RFlagg42

RFlagg42 One hoopy frood....

Oddometer:
    Corbin and I love it. I couldn't ride an hour on the stock seat without wanting to kill myself. I've done 1500 mile weekends on this seat several times.

Eric
  7. rhicks

rhicks Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I would love to see one of the Desierto 3's in person.
    Does anyone in the Denver metro have one they would like to show off?
  8. endurorazor

endurorazor Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Are there any buyers of the Desierto 3 near 6'2" height / 32" inseam with a stock seat out there. On the upper settings, where would I expect the air to hit my helmet at highway speed? Read the entire thread but can't find the answer.
  9. Ronin ADV

Ronin ADV Gear addict

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1" with long legs and I find my D3 gives good wind coverage when fully elevated ( I also ride with the stock seat). I've had it up to about 90mph with no problem but I routinely ride at 70 or less (more of a TKC thing than a D3 thing). I also tend to take the plastic upper portion off when I do off road rides or rides in tight twisty stuff. I like the increased visibility this offers and the wind protection is still enough. I just strap the upper portion to my tail bag and put it back on when I get to the long fast paved portions. As previously mentioned the stock knurled nuts are weak. I replaced my with a larger knurled nut ordered online and a M6 bolt with a larger cyclindrical head I can grab with my fingers as opposed to the stock M6 (20mm?) carraige bolts. I found the M6 bolts at my local hardware store (True Value) and I carry spare of the bolts / knurled nuts (you will eventually lose one or more).
  10. OZZY-DUCK

OZZY-DUCK Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:

Would it be possible for you to send through some pictures and sizes of the upgraded nuts and bolts you have used. Im not happy with mine either.
  11. FatBuoy

FatBuoy Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'1 with 32 inseam and the air hits my helmet about 2" above my helmet shield, but it's soft air. I also have 20mm risers and stock height seat. With the same setup it sounds like it would hit you about 1" above your shield...

As someone else on here coined very well, "Just drink 5 beers and hit the buy button". You will never look back.
  12. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    Its on and Im getting ready to see if it was worth the trouble. Sure looks purdy. :ricky
  13. AKTroy

AKTroy BE AWARE OF TRAINS

Oddometer:
    :ricky

Excessively expensive, yup. Although I was lucky enough to get one for 650 bucks. Still steep but Im digging it. Not only does it do what a wind screen should do (screen wind) but now my 800 stands out in the many 800's around south central Alaska. Functional and unique. As I see it one more costly mod, AK-20s or Bitubo's and I can tell my wife its done. :lol3
  14. speedz

speedz Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm the same height and inseam as you but with the TT breathable high seat. I just can seem to adjust it right enough for me to be comfortable. At it's highest setting, seated upright doing 120 km/h, it feels like my head is being punched from both sides, I even get blurred vision :eek1 However if i duck down just a little, everything becomes so quiet.

I guess I'll need to spend more time with the thing to figure out what works.
  15. Ian B

Ian B Fairing Manufacturer

Oddometer:
    Just a heads up that there is going to be a new 800/650 fairing coming out from Britannia Composites soon. It will feature our fully retractable screen system and a dashboard with a perch for the GPS. Watch this space, you wont be disappointed !!

Ian
  16. rockinrog

rockinrog Long timer

Oddometer:
    looking forward to seeing it,,,,,any idea of the $amage?
  17. Ian B

Oddometer:
    Likely around $500, but there will probably be OEM paint options (instead of the standard satin black) and may be dashboard options, both of which will effect price. Unit it will be tested over the next three weeks and all being well, will go into production shortly after.
  18. bxr140

bxr140 Flame Bait

Oddometer:
    Sweetness. I thought I heard you stopped making fairings?

Any chance there will be a Hella 90mm option?
  19. Ian B

Oddometer:
    We were stopped for 2 months earlier this year whilst we re-located,but have been back in production since May on all of our existing fairings. The 800/650 fairing will be followed by another design for the 650 single.

We havent considered changing the lights on the BM, because they seemed pretty good when we tried the bike out. Admittedly, the one we have here has HIDs fitted. Do you find the standard lights need upgrading ?.

Ian
  20. Aether

Aether Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Worthy of a separate thread....