So......Am I an A-Hole?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by JOKER650, Oct 5, 2012.

1. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Traveling out in the grasslands along a gravel road , caught up to a JEEP, road wide enough to pass 2 trucks....but barley..
    A man and his dog...dust billowing ...traveling about 60KPH (40mph).
    I pull up behind on my Super Enduro, Patrick behind me on his Adventurer.
    I stayed far to the left and he saw me in his side view mirror......moved to dead center out of the dust......he saw me in his center rear view mirror. He knew I was there and did not slow or slide over a little to let the pass happen..there was plenty of room but he decided to use the dead center of the road and block ( about 1 km or so for this section).
    The SE has "more than enough " to make the pass ....but I didn't want to be a dick and so waited another 1 k or so cuz there was a fork in the road and figured that he would just pull off and away we go. I gave a short blip of the horn and he AGAIN looked at us behind him.......NOTHING:huh

Ok...Pass the next fork in the road and he continues on.
    This is about 3 K in all now and I had enough.
    I hear that when the SE is opened up to the limiter in 3rd with a full knobie on a gravel/rocky road..it throws...um...er...HAVOC:lol3
    I passed on the left and he seemed to pull towards me a little. Prety much in the limiter from behind him till about 100 feet ahead of him.:lol3

I stopped where we hit the trail and asked Patrick if the guy let him pass. The guy stopped him and asked him to relay a message to me that he was "VERY PISSED OFF BECAUSE OF ALL THE HUGE BOULDERS THAT WERE THROWN AT HIM":huh

SO after 3 K of blocking and me wanting to do a gental dust-free pass I figured it was time to move on.

AM I that bad of a guy? :ear
    I hope this doesn't go the way things usually go in Jo-Mumma:1drink

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. Forde

Forde Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    the guy might not have felt safe riding the edge of the road to let you squeeze through.

your definition of "enough room" is probably different to his and making him move over would have been forcing him to do something he didnt feel comfortable with, whats the rush anyway lol
  3. windmill

windmill Long timer

Oddometer:
    On the street I won't do anything illegal or unsafe just because someone behind me is impatient, nor will I pressure or expect others to do so just because I'm faster.

On forest service and logging roads things are more subjective depending on the type of vehicle and the "rules" more informal. Unless a vehicles or drivers abilities are being challenged by conditions there is no real legitimate reason to not let someone pass.

IMO, it does sound like the guy was being a jerk, but being judgmental about another persons decisions off road is questionable as you don't really know their skill and comfort level off pavement.

In answer to the OP,
    Roosting someone with rocks/gravel, especially someone you don't know in retribution for some supposed discourtesy is a total ass wipe maneuver, and if you have to ask, you still need adult supervision.
  4. JOKER650

JOKER650 Long timer

Oddometer:
    haha...didn't roost him just to roost him...wanted to get past FAST.

Not an FSR ..but a farm road that was straight (100kph easy on the SE) and almost as wide as a 2-lane paved road, about 2/3rds the width and flat grasslands on each side.Full size trucks can pass in opposite directions.
    Like I said, Gave him 3km to think about it.
    I know myself that if I was in a truck I would pull over for ANYONE that caught up to me.
    The JEEP was not just a pavement cruzer. It was moded for off road, muddy, over sized tires,cooler, fishing rod and gear in the back seat.
  5. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    You did fine.

If he "didn't feel comfortable" maybe he should sell his Jeep and buy a Prius...
  6. fhowell55

fhowell55 poser

Oddometer:
    Sir,
    The guy in the truck is THE DICK.
    you had far more patience than I would've had.
    Fuck him, and forget it.
    and congrats for pelting the prick with gravel.
  7. gmk999

gmk999 23 wrong turns off the main trail

Oddometer:

+1:clap
  8. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:

+1 :1drink
  9. Tepi

Tepi Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    +1 :D

My friend roosted some cars driving close to his rear wheel by drifting his bike and hitting the gravel side of the construction of the road... needless to say the cars took some distance ;D
  10. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    +1 more
  11. ScEd

ScEd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This.
  12. JRP

JRP Old guy Supporter

Oddometer:
    What was your rush?
  13. eddie bolted

eddie bolted BOING!!!

Oddometer:
    They were eating dust!!
  14. AZbiker

AZbiker Say hi to the bad guy

Oddometer:
    Because it is better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed out of a tube? :dunno
  15. icebox

icebox Long timer

Oddometer:
    The guy is a dick, common courtesy on most gravel roads down here in Montana would be to pull over, the faster car, truck, bike passes and takes it easy for a bit to not raise to much dust, then go as fast as you like. If you grew up around gravel roads, you got held up by stock trailers and grain trucks, and they always pulled over. The drivers knew the next day it might be them. But the world is changing, to many inconsiderate assholes out there. Forty years ago they might have got the crap kicked out of them at the next watering hole, today there just to many of them to bother.
  16. Advntr

Advntr Answering the call of the wild

Oddometer:
    +1

The "mean people" driving motor vehicles come in all shapes/sizes and you will find them everywhere. Beware of these people as you ride as they are truly evil people. Sometimes it's better to pull off and take a break as engaging the enemy may ruin your ride.
  17. preppypyro

preppypyro Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Sounds to me like the jeep dricer was being a dick as well. I would have probably done the same as what you have done, minus shooting rocks at him. I know that the 950's can move, and shooting rocks at anyone is a dick move as well. ( you COULD have passed him easily without shooting rocks)

However I know how frustrating some other inconsiderate drivers are, and it seems to me like the jeep guy was trying to be a bully in his vehicle to you (by hogging the road and not letting you pass, specially after the blip of your horn) and personally I think there are times for the old " eye for an eye" treatment, and if this was the case, then the guy DID deserve to know that you were pissed off, and the few rocks ya threw at him (although still dickish) were "justified"!

We can all be dicks, I give ya props for not being a dick first.
  18. JGNC

JGNC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, it was an asshole move but I've done the same. On a fairly wide forest road wide enough for two full-sized trucks to pass. Some prick riding the middle of the lane hitting the inside of every turn and going slow as piss. I have very little patience for inconsiderate people. When I went to pass they tried to block me so I tossed as much gravel as my little DRZ could.

Looking back I should have just pulled over and chilled out for a few minutes. That asshole could have easily killed me out there. :deal
  19. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Yes you are an asshole, but I'm sure your friends have told you that, much as mine have me. Now onto the real topic...

But all seriousness aside, why did you wait so long to pass. If the vehicle allows enough space to pass and the road is clear, we pass virtually immediately, without any haste. Thus no rockage being pitched as we move away.

Sure there's a bit of stuff thrown back, but that is the other vehicle driver's problem. If they don't want the chips and crap, slow up a bit and let us pull away. Heck, that's what we have to do at times with each other. You don't want the roost, get out of the way.

Unless they are clearly blocking out our passing, we're automatically past. Most slower traffic oblige. I can not actually remember any problem on any dirt/gravel back roads with someone not allowing passage (except that one time when the combine I got behind actually was WIDER than the road we were on). Now narrower paved back roads have all those "racers" in their trucks and cars that think you should stay back there in spite of the fact that you can cruise comfortably at about triple their speed. They're a pain in the ass.
  20. Josephvman

Josephvman I'm the Decider Supporter

Oddometer:
    I might have done the same, but you always run the risk that the guy's a sociopath, and in the battle between car and bike the car always wins.

I passed a guy (safely) on 35 heading north from San Marcos to Austin, TX, and the guy got pissed, started passing a bunch of cars, got next to me (my right) and opened his window and started screaming shit. I shot him the bird and he went ballistic, charged right into my lane and pushed me within an inch of the guardrail. I was able to power ahead of him, but I was sandwiched behind another car, and the idiot kept charging up on my rear to within inches. I was able to get out of that situation, but he chased me, cutting off cars left and right, all the way to 71, where he followed me for several more miles. I was able to pull off and call the cops, who basically said they couldn't do anything about it. BTW, this is why I now carry.

The older I get the more I'm convinced that approximately 20% of the population really needs to be kept in cages.