my scootering love is being challange!!

Discussion in 'Battle Scooters' started by damasovi, Feb 14, 2013.

1. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    as you know it is winter! YES HERE IN BAJA IS WINTER, that is putting some challenges to my scooter specially in the mornings when the temperatures is around 50 F or in the 40's. Starting can take some time, but I now use the kick start to help it and it works.

For me was cold so I bough some MC pants (since the ones I have zippers went south, again) so that took care of the lower body, and I just install a windshield that has already paid for it self on last Sunday's trip when it was cold for many more miles than just my commute.

So all is well now for scooter and rider, the BIG problem is or ARE the million pot holes that have reproduce like gremlins! man this 10 in tires and little travel suspension are a bad (very poor) match for the destructed roads and streets that I have to go true.

So I am been challenge in all aspects, but as I type, weather.com says it is only 54F but the next couple of days will be in the 60-70's so all will be better!!! (for a couple of days)

Cheers!!!

Damasovi
  2. 6speed

6speed Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Get a SYM HD 200

3. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    it looks good and practical, how ever they do not sell them in Mexico. I guess it could be imported but after paying for importation fees it will be just to expensive, maybe I will just buy a cargo from Honda and have it for pizza delivering and winter ridding! lol!!

Cheers

Damasovi
  4. klaviator

klaviator Scooter Trash Supporter

Oddometer:
    Temperatures in the 40s, consider yourself lucky. My commute this morning was 32F. At least I didn't have to contend with any large potholes:D
  5. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hi K! I am lucky and I know it, this saturday will be around 72-75F! and the cold days there not that bad in comparison with other parts, and always one can say the grass is always greener somewhere else, my friends in interior Mexico keep saying it is like 90 F where they live.... I hate them! lol!!

But I do see another small motorcycle in my house at the end of 2013... I hope there are some xmas discounts

Damasovi
  6. cbolling

cbolling Here...Hold my Beer.

Oddometer:
    It was in the 30's on the way to work this morning and the low 50's on the way home.

I consider anything over 50 to be fairly nice riding weather. :wink:
  7. JerryH

JerryH Vintage scooter/motorcycle enthusiast Supporter

Oddometer:
    It hits the low 30s here in the early morning. I'm still riding. I have a CHP leather jacket that must weigh 50 pounds, but it sure is warm. I also have a pair of older Widder heated gloves, but I don't think the scooters will power them. For me this is riding season. There is only a couple months of decent riding weather left down here in the desert before the temperatures start going crazy, like 115+ degrees. I will be riding up in the mountains then.

The big problem here with scooters (and street motorcycles as well) is those darn manhole covers. Some of them are several inches below the surface because they have repaved the roads so many times without raising them. A few years ago a guy on a Harley Sportster hit one at night and crashed. He sued the city and won. They got real busy fixing them, but seem to be getting lax about it again. I rarely ride the scooters at night because of it.
  8. fullmetalscooter

fullmetalscooter Let me take this duck off

Oddometer:
    Get one of the cheap bike made for farms or delivery and you ll not have issues with pot holes. As I ve said before the honda cargo comes to mind .
  9. GREY.HOUND

GREY.HOUND Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I've been commuting a few times per week, 6 miles each way. Temps in the low to mid 30's on the way to work and about 60 on the way home. 70 tomorrow :)))))))))))))))))

The only real issue in the morning is fogging of my glasses and my hands are pretty cold despite freeze out inserts and some gloves from CG.
  10. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    o yes this is the one I was thinking maybe this time 2014 or by xmas 2013!! any excuse.. I mean reason for a 2nd bike or 3,4,5 is good. The added expense is not big, just buy and use, registration is like 20-30 dollars per year and that is it.

Cheers.

Damasovi
  11. alicethomas

alicethomas Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Every temperature above -45°C/-49F (freezing point of petrol) is ok!
    This Thursday after work (-10°C/+14F at noon):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wednesday and Thursday was sunny and around -5°C/+23F and the first "real mc rider" of the year hatched out of his garage (like a wasp).
    Today it's snowing again. No more motorcycles, only scooters on the road.
    Yes, potholes are inconvenient. But as long as powdersnow doesn't cover the potholes (like a trap), you still can swerve around them.
  12. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    OMG!!! -4C as a warm day! I guess since I do not have it then I will not do it.

And yes can not wait 6 months for ALL the snow to melt, can you? of course not.

Thanks for your post post, I feel like a little girl now! I will just go and ride in this 20C day without my winter gloves! lol!!

Damasovi
  13. DirtReeper

DirtReeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Dama Bro That what the KLR is for :evil:lol3:D
  14. csisfun

csisfun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Dama, when it gets "too cold", it merely means you need new gear. I have been riding in temperatures about -5 to zero degrees Celcius, and I must say having proper gear (especially gloves) really helps.

Be glad you don't have to deal with dangerous elements such as snow and ice... or even salt.
  15. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8240/8481030063_f6889698bf_z.jpg Preparing for Spring in Vermont, my new scooter coat. Black mittens, too.
  16. damasovi

damasovi Long timer

Oddometer:
    this winter I have gear up and thermal layers have been added, so in body it is all good, the bike takes time to warm up and I must not use the stock light since it will take longer to start. I do have a kick start option that I have never use..

Well the last 2 days have been above average and no need to complain no more, it will go back to average and then below average... so I went on a ride today :evil

Cheers, I hope you get spring early!!

Damasovi
  17. noitallal

noitallal Banned

Oddometer:
    Yes, Scooters really stink on poor roads. Small wheels even more so than poor suspension, seem to be the biggest culprit. My motorcycles are so much better on crappy roads than any of the scooters I've owned. I bet the new Honda maxi with big wheels does well on crappy streets.
  18. scootrboi

scootrboi Long timer

Oddometer:
    http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8343/8243988259_4817c83676_b.jpg

This scooter can go fast on bad roads even though it has 10 inch wheels. The swingarm lets the rear wheel move while the motor stays still. Too bad this idea was dropped long ago.
  19. vortexau

vortexau Outside the Pod-bay

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I guess that one just adapts to suit the prevailing climate, and temperatures? :wink: