Husaberg Rallye bikes

Discussion in 'Racing' started by SafariBerg, Jan 11, 2008.

1. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey, if you are in the Southeast you should know that James Embro (multiple Dakar competitor) is opening a new shop at 5666 Buford Hwy and Mitchell Road in Norcross, Georgia. Saturday Feb 23rd is the grand opening, with a number of real Dakar rally bikes for you to check out.

Did I mention he is a Husaberg dealer? The 08 models are nice machines for sure. Stop by and say howdy this Saturday if you are in the area.

Hope to see you there,
    Tim
  2. cyborg

cyborg Potius Sero Quam Numquam

Oddometer:
    Wow this is a great thread and pictures! Awesome looking bikes. :clap

I really like the lightweight setup of the Hussy's compared to the quite a bit larger rally bikes I've seen. I guess it's all about speed. The big bikes go faster in the flats, the smaller ones faster in the rough. Seems even Dakar is drifting towards only 450 class to reduce the crazy speeds across the open sections. That '09 Slant 450 and I guess perhaps a 565 will likely be very fast and a damn sexy looking design! Those would make a wild rally bike! Be interesting to see what the reliability will be like on the all-new design, given what the mfr's know today about reliability. I love all the trick new hardware coming out these days, after watching the evolution for 40 years or so. :1drink
  3. Anders Green

Anders Green NASA Rally Sport

Oddometer:
    How was the open house? Any pics?

Anders
  4. youngblood

youngblood Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    This Saturday. I'll post some pics for sure.

5. Seth S

Seth S My avatar is ok. Your screen is broken

Oddometer:
    is there an external oil cooler on the bike? if not you could ad one. The oil cooler will not only help keep the oil cool but it will increase the oil capacity of the bike slightly as the cooler and lines will hold that much more oil.
  6. Hair

Hair I am on my way.

Oddometer:
    Thanks I am in the process of doing that now.
    HMS racing was adding Honda XR400R coolers to their bergs.
    I bought Peter's last filter converted cap. I also bought an XR400R cooler off of Ebay.
    I hope to start mounting this weekend. I've put about 10 hours on the berg. I really like this bike. I use to ride a 525. The two bikes are close, The berg pulls harder. And it really show it's stuff on the more open trails.

This is a great thread. :thumb
  7. mitchalison

mitchalison Mitch

Oddometer:
    Looks like a 'Bum Tank', same one I've got. I bought mine at Peter Stevens in Melbourne, but I've also seen them at Motorcycle Accessories in Sydney.
  8. ruliram

ruliram Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Safariberg, thanks for your answers, just got one quick left, where do i find the 5.5L Husaberg side tank, i´ve been to the Berg dealer here and they dont know about it, they have the under seat one, but not the side one, do you have a part number of it?...or anywebsite through i can get it?

Thankss
  9. SafariBerg

SafariBerg Oz Safari Addict

Oddometer:
    Husaberg Side Tank 5.5L Part Number: 39004201

I just ordered from my local dealer.​
  10. scotsmun

scotsmun Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the info safariberg, i am looking to do the wild boar this year and am cosidering using my '06 550. This will be my first taste of rallye riding so it seems a good starting point. This thread has been a great help, thanks.:thumb
  11. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    I'm a complete n00b when it comes to setting up a rallye bike. Can someone explain what is required as far as nav gear goes? What is a Trippmatare and a GPS repeater? I know what a GPS is but how much gear do you need on your bike to set it up properly and why?? Thanks in advance!! :freaky
  12. SteveRed

SteveRed Adventure Moto

Oddometer:
    Ye well initially I just want to ride in the WildBoar and next year who knows! Maybe even the Oz Safari if I can grow a big enough pair of balls :evil after doing the Condo! Someone said you cannot use a GPS in the OZ Safari in any case.
  13. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    A team of 3 riders from Western Australia all on Husaberg's went over for the '08 Condo 750 2 day Rallye in NSW Australia at Easter.

http://www.condo750.com.au/

#71 Desertrider '08 FE650
    Tony - trusty mechanic & support guy
    #17 Gazza '07 FE650
    #29 SafariBerg '08 FE650

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

'08 FE650 - 10.5L main tank & 3L underseat tank, ICO & MD roadbook, 16:45 gearing, Akra slip on pipe, Scotts steering damper.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gazza backing her in !

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

At the Control at the end of a Selective (competitive) stage afer a 25km long drag race & dice to the finish with each other on Day 1...............great fun :wings

[​IMG]

Servicing at the bivouac at the end of Day 1.

The event is a 2 day full navigational rallye like the Safari, varied terrain and lots of fun. 74 motos started and 69 finished. 6 Berg 650's started and 6 finished.

Gazza came 25th (his first rallye), SafariBerg 28th, Desertrider had a kangaroo jump on him during Day 1 and DNF'd the rest of that day, but finished Day 2.

Will go back again next year :evil

Stories here.

http://www.bmwgs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=306565
  14. B.V.

B.V. n00b

Oddometer:
    Great stuff!!!
    See a "berg" in my feature.
  15. PPiA

PPiA Pete

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]

Top left is a tripmeter. Resetable meter that tells you how far you have travelled.
    Top right is a GPS repeater. Tells you your compass heading in degrees so that you don't have to keep looking down at the GPS.
    The Dakar GPS is that big thing on the bars...
  16. paulsra

paulsra n00b

Oddometer:
    gday all,

i must say excellent reading..
    just wondering if anyone thinks it might be a good idea to add an oil cooler to an 07 650FE? i ride in fairly tight tracks, occasionally in 40 deg plus temps.

also, i noticed that the clarke tank has mention of being 17 litres but i can only find a clark tank at 15 litres on google. any idea on this?

thanks

www.useddirtbikes.com.au
  17. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
    My Clarke holds 17 litres stock, measured it several times. I'm going to warm it up and blow it out another couple of litres, should be able to get close to 20 L.

The only off the shelf oil cooler that I have seen is the Joe Racer one. It is vulnerable to damage, I did a motor in last years Safari due to damage to the oil cooler. Since then I have not run one and all seems fine with around 13,000 km of rallye racing across 3 different bikes (all '07 or '08 FE650's) with no oil cooler. So I'm not looking at using one for now.

To me the critical thing is the oil.

Run Motul 300V Factoryline 15w50 double ester oil and you should be fine. :thumbup

It's the best there is for Bergs, it has been designed for rallye racing and is unlike any other oil you will find.

Even when my oil cooler broke and the engine went it was only the big end that failed due to the drop in oil pressure, the rest of the motor was like brand new after 3,000km of rallye racing.

For tight hot work the KTM/HBG radiator fan would be more useful I think.
  18. paulsra

paulsra n00b

Oddometer:
    ok, iv used the wrong conversion for the 4 gal tank. apparently theres a US gallon DRY and a US gallon Liquid......

i currently use motorex 20-50, i thought that for longer trips like the rallyes your talking about would need a thicker oil than 15-50. do you find the gears mesh smoother on a cold engine with the 15-50? i find that it wants to jump out from under you upon engaging first on a cold engine.

also, does your radiator fan run for a few minutes after engine has stopped?
    does this put excessive drain on your battery?
    i was thinking about getting one and rewiring it to a switch on the bars.

thanks

19. SafariBerg

Oddometer:
  20. paulsra

paulsra n00b

Oddometer:
    where would one find these items for purchase? cant seem to find them anywhere
    thanks