Jill Singer blames us for Marco dying

Discussion in 'Australia' started by Lerxstdawg, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Lerxstdawg

Lerxstdawg Wait...what?

Oddometer:
    The link to Jill Singers' article in todays' Herald Sun looks, on the surface, to hold motor racing fans responsible for Marco Simoncelli getting killed at sepang. According to Jill, if it wasn't for fans craving the death of anyone foolish enough to want to be the absolute best at anything related to motorsport, racing would be as safe as knitting. I hope I'm wrong, please have a read of the article below and let me know if I got it arse-backwards.

HOW is it that so many motorsports fans seem shocked when drivers and riders are killed on the racetrack? <!-- google_ad_section_end(name=story_introduction) --><!-- // .story-intro --><!-- google_ad_section_start(name=story_body, weight=high) -->
    What do they really expect from high-speed, close-proximity racing? And why do they think that both participants as well as spectators at some events sign waiver forms acknowledging the risk to their lives?
    Whether it was the premature and gruesome deaths of Marco Simoncelli, Dan Wheldon, Daijiro Kato, Shoya Tomizawa, Roland Ratzenberger or Ayrton Senna, public reaction to this legitimised form of road carnage follows a trajectory that smacks of denial.
    It's as though supporters can't face up to their complicity in how these young men came to die. They try to rationalise their dangerous thrill-seeking by saying the men died doing what they loved - and in the next breath they talk of "tragedy" and their disbelief when someone dies.

Simoncelli's fellow Honda rider, Dani Pedrosa, commented: "There are things that shouldn't happen, but this is sport".
    Sport? Soon after Simoncelli's death the MotoGP safety officer claimed it was "unpreventable". Really? If deaths on the track are inevitable, how can we call it "sport"? Valentino Rossi is one rider who seems particularly conflicted about this.
    After Tomizawa's death last year, Rossi said: "The rest means nothing when this happens". The rest presumably being the thrills, the adulation, the money. And now he's also lost his mate Simoncelli. If meaning hasn't been stripped from Rossi's career choice by now, it is hard to imagine what more it would take to make that happen.
    Clearly, there are riders who themselves question the validity of their "sport". As MotoGP rider Andrea Dovizioso said last year: "You forget sometimes how easily something like this (death) can happen. Sometimes our sport is just too dangerous."
    Dare to question the ethics of motorsports, though, and you risk being run over. Bemused by the flood of platitudes about Simoncelli's death - such as "five minutes of speed is equivalent to another person's lifetime" - I (foolishly) tweeted my doubts about the genuineness of this outpouring of grief and suggested the sport thrives on crashes.
    To be sure, my sentiments could have been expressed more sensitively, but in the angry barrage of abuse that followed, it surprised me that no one could admit they actually enjoy the inherent dangers of track racing. To do so would obviously expose the inner ghoul of spectators. Time and again I was told that people don't watch for the crashes.
    But it's not just squeamish women such as me (and I have seen more than enough road trauma in my life) who suspect that some people are getting off on the carnage.
    Tim Dahlberg is an Associated Press sports writer who confirmed my worst suspicions: "Racing is a dangerous, dangerous sport. Always has been, which is a major part of its appeal.
    "People come to watch racers risk their lives and flirt with danger. They slap high fives for a good wreck, strain to see replays of cars slamming into walls. Without crashes, racing would just be cars going around an oval in a chess match. Interesting, perhaps, but not thrilling enough to get people to watch."
    So for those who now grieve for Simoncelli, ask yourselves: Isn't there perhaps just a speck of blood on your hands?
  2. rallyman1978

rallyman1978 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Got an email address for this cunt?
  3. Fatguts McCantRide

Fatguts McCantRide On a diet and learning

Oddometer:
    So some middle aged biddy who couldn't even hack a story on Jeff Kennett without a couple of headaches feels qualified to comment?

Excuse me, Satan just called and it appears the temperature's dropping rapidly.
  4. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    Forgive her, she knows not what she says.
    She simply doesnt understand life, or death.
  5. BikePilot

BikePilot Long timer

Oddometer:
    She's an idiot who doesn't get it at all if she thinks racing happens because of the fans. Maybe a few folks are there for the money, but I'd wager most are racing 'cause they love racing and if there weren't a professional dollar to be had in the entire sport they'd be paying their own way and racing out of the back of a van. The guys racing in the desert push just as hard as anyone else and sometimes pay the price, but there's no one watching - its done for the love of the sport, no reason pavement racers are any different really.
  6. ADV-Wes

ADV-Wes I'm not lost....yet.

Oddometer:
    That would have to be one of the biggest loads of shit I have ever read about road racing!! :huh
    I say lets overload her inbox with "pull your fuckin head in" replies :lol3

7. Lerxstdawg

Lerxstdawg Wait...what?

Oddometer:
  8. stuc

stuc Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, that made me throw up a little in my mouth. But then, if she understood the first thing about anything, she wouldn't be qualified to write for the Herald Sun....
  9. neilaction

neilaction Slightly Less Adventurous

Oddometer:
    The obvious question is this.

Does she also suggest that those in the media have blood on their hands because of their goulish fasination with all deaths? How many people have been deliberatly killed in the knowledge that it will be covered it minute detail by the media thus giving the "cause" oxygen. She is part of a profession that dines out on death, that profits from death and that sits and waits in grotesque anticipation for the next death so thay can plaster it on the front page along side the most perverse picture thay can produce. :deal

Piss off Jill.

Rant over. :lol3
  10. Beach40

Beach40 Banned

Oddometer:
    I think this has been written just to upset people and increase the click through stats.
  11. johmarq

johmarq RottenMongrelBastard

Oddometer:
    Shit what a Bitch
  12. Leipo

Leipo '08 wr250r

Oddometer:
    well she does have 1 point:

I only watch these sports for the crashes :muutt
  13. rvt

rvt Big Fat Trail Bikes

Oddometer:
    We as riders, skydivers, surfers, fugo eaters, road crosses, make our choices and take our chances.

Or she was being reactionary to get attention - let's not feed that cactus.
  14. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Don't write to her - that'll just give her gloat-cred as she pitches for Bolt's job.
    Write to her Managing editor, company chairman, circulation manager and/or advertising director - and tell them why you no longer wish to receive their paper, nor advertise therein.

Certainly, all motor industry advertising should be pulled.

That skeletal guy on Media Watch might like to hear about it - trouble is, no-one in the media gives a toss what he says, does or thinks.

Or we could get up a Class Action (like fair-skinned aboriginal people did) and claim that she has vilified all motorcycle riders.
  15. Gimme 2

Gimme 2 wheels , with nobs

Oddometer:
    She is simply a person struggling for attention and freedom is a thing she has no idea of .Womens lib must have kicked her in the teeth Long ago, you pittyful souless thing i feel sorry for people like you , ...go and have coffee with joanne greer, that heartless thing will have the likes of you, keep your negative nonprodutive veiws in the deep tarred darkness of your mind.
    A fool and a simple shock jock at most you are ....why do i waste my time.... sleep is better ...goodnight!
  16. bumblebee1

bumblebee1 All bikes are dirt bikes

Oddometer:
    She reminds me of someone.
    Oh, I remember who...

Well, Kyle's Mom's a bitch, she's a big fat witch, she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world, she's a stupid bitch if there ever was a bitch, she's a bitch to all the boys and girls.
    On Monday she's a bitch, on Tuesday she's a bitch, and Wednesday to Saturday she's a bitch, then on Sunday just to be different she's a super King-ka maya-maya beotch! Have you ever met my friend Kyle's Mom, she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world, she's a mean old bitch and she has stupid hair,she's a bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch,
    bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch she's a stupid bitch, WHOOO! Kyle's Mom's a bitch and she's just a dirty bitch, Kyle's mom's a bitch, and she's such a dirty Bitch. talk to kids around the world, it might go a little bit something like this! (imitates french) (imitates northern european language) (imitates yodeling) (imitates african language) Have you ever met my friend Kyle's Mom, she's the biggest bitch in the whole wide world, she's a mean old bitch and she has stupid hair, she's a bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch,
    bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch she's a stupid bitch, WHOOO! Kyle's Mom's a bitch and she's just a dirty bitch, Kyle's mom's a bitch, and she's such a dirty Bitch. I really mean it kyles mom: she's a big fat fucking bitch! YEAH big fat fucking bitch kyles mom, yeah! chow!:lol3
  17. hunter_greyghost

hunter_greyghost XS650 Allroads Traveller

Oddometer:
    :freaky:bueller:lurk
    Cheers
    Baza
  18. Matt

Matt Dirt Virgin

Oddometer:
    I wonder what she thinks bout horse racing?
  19. havafati

havafati Yassdafarian

Oddometer:
    Is this the same news paper that employes that dickhead Danny Wiedler (or whatever his name is) who bagged Stoner out???

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=736690

Herald Sun or Sun Herald. Do Not Buy it or click its links. Malicious rubbish written simply to get a rise.:deal
  20. overlandr

overlandr Dystopist

Oddometer:
    Lets see anotherobedientjournotowingtheline@murdoch.com ? I cannot imagine for a single second that those of you expressing annoyance/anger at this article may stoop to regularly buy/read any NI paper.