Any Tall Tenere Riders out there? Chime in on what you like and dislike

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by lacofdfireman, Sep 10, 2014.

1. lacofdfireman

lacofdfireman Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    So I have gone through like 6 bikes in the past few years trying to find the perfect bike. The only one I have liked at all was my GSA. Right now I am bike less and looking to add something to the stable. Either I'm buying another GSA or maybe I will take a leap of faith and try a Tenere. Problem is I don't have any time on a Tenere so I am hoping it's not a huge mistake if I go that way. I though my last Wee Strom was gonna be the bike. Great all around bike but couldn't get over the buffeting. Rode it once to work 360 miles and immediately put it up for sale upon my return home. I tried Madstad and different shields to no avail. Lets face it I'm a big dude at 6'5 and 260lbs and no bike's gonna fit me like an average guy but there was no way I would ever get comfy on that Strom.

I have always been intrigued by the Tenere but like I said I have never ridden one. One of the biggest reasons I like it is Yamaha reliability. Ya the BMW is very reliable also but when something does go wrong it's very spend to fix. I would love to hear from some Tenere owners that are Big and Tall like me and hear their opinion on the Tenere. Hopefully someone that has also owned a GSA in the past that could share their opinion.

What mods do you need to do for the Tenere to make it tall guy friendly? Peg lowers, Seat higher, Windshield Risers. Just like I do to all my other bikes? How is the buffeting? Any significant model changes to the Tenere before 2014? I know in 2014 it got cruise control but I think that's out of my price range. I'm looking to spend $10k or less hopefully.

If any of you tall guys have photo's of you riding your Tenere post them up. I wanna see ergonomically how it looks.
  2. Tallbastid

Tallbastid Stay Grateful

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'8", 310 lbs. and ride a Tenere. I love it, plenty of motor, ergs are very comfortable, antilock brakes are a big, big improvement over what I've experiences with the Beemers. Erg-wise, mine is completely stock. Seat in high position and I'm good to go. I may do some bar risers, but meh?

The buffeting with the stock shield is bad. I have a Madstad bracket on there now, but it's done no good. I'm following another member's advice and cutting the stocker way down. I love wind, just not buffeting. At some point, I'll buy the Extra Tall Parabellum like everyone else has, but for now I'm just looking for a really small screen and to ride the thing.

I was btw a 990/1200GSA/S10.

The 990's reliability and fueling issues had me pass on it.
    I LOVE the Beemers, but for what a decent used one costs, I could buy a new S10, and so I did. :deal

If you go for a leftover, you can score $1,200 in free Yamaha goods too. Lots of talk in the big thread about windshields, etc, but at 6'5" you may be fine with the MS bracket. If I hunch down a couple inches, I'm in much cleaner air... just hurts my back to do so.
  3. roll_it_on

roll_it_on Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I pretty much to second what Tallbastid has to say. I am 6'2" and with my ergo issues I need allot of leg room. The Tenere is the only bike I have ever had where I did not have to lower the footpegs on it in order to get comfortable. The stock seat in the tall position gave me all the room I needed. I have had vstroms, tigers, dirt bikes, etc and all of them had me lowering the pegs in order to get comfortable. I also put on 2" rox risers to be more comfortable standing. A very well made bike that is relatively easy to work on.
  4. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Super Tenere is good comfort wise, but I also I have a BMW K1200R sport and compare to that ST is super slow. I know that they are 2 different bikes but it is hard for me to get over it.
  5. 690Emaf10

690Emaf10 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    6'6". The tenere is good. I had to replace the windscreen. I had way to much buffeting. I'm a little longer in the legs and seem to still get a bit cramped with my bad knees.... oh god I'm only 38.

I commute on the bike probably 4 days a week ~100 miles round trip. I'm getting about 45 mpg depending on how hard I turn the throttle.

If I'm all the way front on the seat things can get a bit cramped between the legs.....

Not much more to complain about. I have just over 5K miles on my 2013 and am not looking back. It has been a very reliable well rounded bike.
  6. AwesomeUsername

AwesomeUsername Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'6" and around 330 (fatty cakes mcgee). Positives are plenty of leg room , no cramping. Upright, comfortable riding position for my giant torso. Controls while sitting are at a perfect distance, not too far away and not too close. Negatives, I absolutely can not stand comfortably on this bike with the stock bar rise. Roll it on mentioned 2" Risers and it's definitely something I am looking into. With that said, did you have to extend any cabling or did it work just fine stock. Second, the footpegs are too narrow. I have size 14, preferably 14 wide, feet. If you have larger feet, i would look into larger footpegs. Third, the windshield is a bit too short for me.

Overall, I have been so happy with this bike being a bigger guy. Everything about it just worked for me (for the most part) right away. The other larger bikes (GS, Tiger Explorer) did not feel nearly as comfortable to me.
  7. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:
    Thanks for all the replies. I am kinda leaning towards the S10 because I found a nice clean 2013 locally that the guy only wants $12k and it has luggage and that's it. Less than 300 miles also. He bought it for a big trip he had planned but the plans fell through so he is getting rid of it...

I am also curious about the bar risers... I have used 2" Rox on about every bike I have ever owned. With the S10 will 2" Rox fit without cable changes?

Thanks for all the replies. Hope to hear more good stuff about the S10 for us big guys so keep posting up...

Also where there any changes between 2011 and 2013? I know there are major changes in 2014 but just wondering if there is any reason to buy a 2013 over say a 2011 if I happen to find a screaming deal on a 2011...
  8. crazyjeeper

crazyjeeper Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Only changes from 2012 to 2013 were colors.

I'm 6'5" and I love my 2012. I use the Cal-Sci XL screen on a touratech bracket with the factory wind deflectors and I get zero buffeting. I also have the SW Motech lower pegs on it and a corbin seat. The seat is a little bit lower than the stocker but the pegs make up for it.
  9. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 5'11" with a 32" inseam, after changing the seat to a Sargent and adding bar risers the bike is very comfy for me. 800 mile days are not a problem.

For me, fueling could be better, even after a re-flash. Many complain of vibration caused by he clutch basket, not an issue on my bike.A new design on the 2014's is aimed at eliminating the vibration. Also there have been reports of failing can chain tensioners(cct), again a new design was released on the 2014's. and

I've also added a Madstad adjustable windscreen bracket, Madstad 20" screen, and OEM wind deflectors, this package provides me with a quite place, a very quite place.

I'd consider a 2014 model because of the clutch basket change, cct upgrade, and the other changes made to the motor(cams, head, exhaust port, etc..). Consensus of those that moved to a 2014 from an earlier model is that the 2014 feels "more refined".

Paul
  10. tessalino

tessalino Long timer

Oddometer:
    OP. I'm sure you're aware of this site, but if not...

http://cycle-ergo.com/

You can dial in your dimensions on the bikes you've owned and use the data to narrow your comfort zone. Use the numbers to give a tangible reference of how the bikes felt.

Then plug in the Tenere and see how, numerically, it compares.

Good luck.
  11. rjlmn

rjlmn Rjlmn

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3" with a 34" inseam. I have the Touratech windshield adjuster, a Vstream Sport Tour windshield, and CeeBailey lower wind wings on my SuperT. I have the seat in the high position. I have very good protection with little turbulence. The air pocket is almost identical to my R12GSA with the Touratech flipper on the windshield. The windshield directs about 90% of the bugs to the top of my helmet, and I rarely have to clean my faceshield.
  12. Cancun

Cancun Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6'3" and about 270. 32" inseam so I'm mostly torso. I absolutely love the super tenere, the stock seat is fine for me in the high position, stock pegs work great although I will eventually get some wider ones for my size 13 boots. Mine came with the rox risers and I love where my hands and arms stay while riding and standing. Didn't look like you need to modify any cables or lines for them to work.

The stock windscreen was ok, but now I have the national cycle vstream sport tourer (21.25"?) And madstad bracket and I can cruise at 80mph no problem and have a chat with my girl on the back through our sena smh10 headsets.

I wear a Shoei RF1100, so it vents nicely and is fairly quiet. I don't get any buffeting, just a little wind noise on top which doesn't bother me at all.

Bike has great power and I use a Kaoko throttle lock which works great too.
  13. bmac

bmac Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is too much for a used bike when you can still buy new ones for less and you get to choose your panniers.

That being said, after owning a 12 for 17k miles and now owning a 14ES, I would not buy anything but a 14 especially when I only paid $1000 more than the used one you are looking at. Granted, I don't have luggage in that price but still the amount of changes in the 14 add up to a substantial improvement in the overall feel of the bike. Additionally, Yamaha is offering a 2 year warranty on new ones. At this time of year discounts are easily found.

As far as comfort goes this is the most comfortable bike I ever owned and I am a little over 6'2'. I changed the seat and added a madsted bracket with a taller windscreen but that is it and I can do 900 mile days without issue.
  14. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You can buy a brand new 2013 leftovers for $11k and it comes with $1200 in yamaha accessories and 2 year warranty.
  15. zedXform

zedXform Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Had my 2012 Raven for about two years and 10k miles. Solid bike, very comfortable. I'm 6'7" and 250lbs. I had a few 600 mile days with nothing but an airhawk added to it. I would of added some folding highway pegs and recovered drivers' seat eventually. From my research, I would very carefully consider a 2014 if you can swing it. The ES, if you can find one used, was pretty much my entire wish list of upgrades.

I'm pretty insensitive to buffeting, so I can't comment on that. It sounds like that is a big one for you.

I jumped ship to a Multistrada a few weeks ago, but that is a other story...
  16. lacofdfireman

Oddometer:

Where are these at? All the left overs I see they still want $13k plus fees...
  17. Guls

Guls Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I know you are in Utah but check out Honda East of Toledo, they have one white one for $11.5k, they will get you few hundred off of that too.
  18. racer1735

racer1735 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm 6-1, so am on the short side of tall :wink:. I have the madstat windscreen adjuster on the stock screen, stock seat (but use and Airhawk when riding anything over 100 miles) and some SW-Motech bar risers. I find that even stock, I have enough legroom and the Super Tenere's seat gives plenty of room for me to move around. The bars were ok stock, but the risers were a must-have if I ever wanted to stand while riding. I keep the screen at near vertical and raised to its highest position and the buffeting is not noticeble. I enjoy the heck out of this bike and wish I had more time to ride than what I do!
  19. grouseridge

grouseridge n00b

Oddometer:
    Sat on many cycles and the Tenere fit, me being 6' 3" 34" inseam. Added a 22" Parabellum windscreen, Madstad bracket, Cee Bailey wind wings for smooth air flow, 1" handle bar risers, had a local upholstery shop add 3" of high density foam to the stock seat and put some 1/4" rubber spacers under the frt. of the seat bracket for more leg room and comfort.
  20. KTMER

KTMER On roads less travelled

Oddometer:
    Old thread but have another question re the ergonomics as this bike is on my short list.

I've never ridden one but have sat on a few at shows/dealers, I find my knees want to hit the plastic covers on the sides of the tank area. Unlike some other brands where there is nothing in front of my knees to hit, on the Tenere I find if I slide forward towards the tank my knees contact the plastic, and that's without knee guards on. I'm 6'4, 36" inseam.

I know I should test ride one to really see how feels but does anyone else bang their knees on the plastics? Maybe sitting back a bit will make this a non issue.