2013 KTM Adventure 1190

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by goodcat8, Apr 23, 2012.

1. MookieBlaylock

MookieBlaylock Long timer

Oddometer:
    ha ha you are a poser if you don't race 95% of the time, god talk about posers. The good thing about katooms is they crash really good.
  2. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it is, you'll know it's a photoshop because the 990 can't catch up in the real world :lol3
  3. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    Can a mod please move this thread to GSpot.

"Oooo, I drove through a puddle! Did you get that on GoPro?"
  4. sakurama

sakurama on an endless build Supporter

Oddometer:
    Man, haters gotta hate. The dude completely exemplifies the ADV spirit and you guys piss on the parade.

I appreciate your gumption KMC1. You're doing it for all the right reasons - more power to you. To anyone who gives this guy shit try to think back to the first time you road your big bike off road. Yeah, you were a regular Cyril Deprese weren't you? No, you weren't. STFU. There's nothing I hate more than people who show up late to the party and then want to lock the door behind them.

Now can we get back to our regularly scheduled whining about the new bike not being a 700cc V-twin that weighs 200lbs and makes 120hp?

G
  5. buffallodan

buffallodan Long timer

Oddometer:
    +1
    Can't understand the negative posts. That doesn't exemplify what I have come to know Adventure Rider to be about.

I am really wanting a new big bike and don't think I can wait till 14' for the 1190's not even considering the higher cost; so I will likely be choosing between 990A or 990A-R. Not a bad choice to have to make if you ask me...

Dan
  6. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
    KMC1, nice photos, they fail to show any circumstance where more weight, 50% more power and lower ground clearance would be a good thing though! :1drink

And Walter, if you are in the saddle of the 990 you know you are pulling a wheelie past anyone on anything! Even a 150 HP DS tired Adv whale! :lol3

I'll be LC-8 free for the first time since 2003 later today and there is nothing at the KTM website that even remotely tempts me as I window shop, and I'm a rabid KTMer!

If the 990Adv had become the 995Adv and was a real improved bike, lighter, better ergos, better efficency, rather than a BMW/Triumph?Ducati/ VStrom fighter I'd be looking.

If they built a new SE995 that was lighter and slimmer, and didn't stumble skimmin deep whoops sign me up! I'll pre-order it today!
  7. dlrides

dlrides 1:1.618 Supporter

Oddometer:

This

Please move this to "GSpot" or "Beasts", the metrosexuality is sickening !

:norton
  8. rockycraig

rockycraig Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    just stopped in at the local ktm shop to look up service costs for the new bike, used the 990r as a comparison. 9300 mile service was 8 to 9 hours somewhere around 7 to 800 dollars without parts so probably more like 900 dollars, then he said they have first service around 280 and some other service around 400 without parts before you get to the 9300 mile service. I thought I hadn't it bad at 440 for my r1200gs. if comes to us I'll test ride cause the specs are what I want but how will explain the 1000 dollar service. is this accurate for the people who own 990's? thanks for info.
  9. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    I'm guessing the 1190 was taken off the US website because it's not yet been approved for import (i.e. homologation is not yet complete w/ US DOT). Once that's done, it should be back up there, 'cause I don't want to believe KTM designed this bike knowing they'd never bring it to the US, where big, powerful bikes are pretty much all you see out on the open roads. :norton

-SM
  10. Motorfiets

Motorfiets Long timer

Oddometer:
    LED lights on a GSA? :huh
  11. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I had an '04 950S, now have an '11 990 (which was the pussy bike according to some 950 owners, but now has been cannonized along with the 950 because it a) proved itself and, b) a new bike has appeared :lol3), and have ridden RC8s. Trust me on this-- the RC8 powerplant is at another level compared to the LC4.

Until the RC30 left the garage a few months ago, I'd been a constant owner of at least 1 (usually more) sporting Honda V4's since 1986, and I've been a real Honda fan since 1969. Things change for people, so I know how you feel.

and

You yourself said in one of your SE for sale posts that you were tired of the big enduro concept: so would a "995ADV" really work for you?
    And btw- from the specs, the 1190 is a real improved bike in the areas you mentioned-- lighter (put crashbars on the 950), better ergos, and more efficient. So they gave you what you wanted-- it just so happens to be a category-killer as well. So what's your real issue?

And Gregor-- whatsamatter-- didn't you get the memo that it's not about the rider, it's about the bike? :lol3
  12. Sporting Wood

Sporting Wood I

Oddometer:
    I will absolutely buy this bike if, and only if;

1. Something has been done about the harmonic vibration I get in my right footpeg and right hand, effectively numbing them at a 4200 - 4400rpm cruise speed.

2. A no mar rubber replaces the 9x0's black rubber shifter pad, which has absolutely destroyed the finish on my left Sidi.
    The importance of clean and neat gear, combined with a severe design failure by KTM, should not be taken for granted !

3. Proper adjustable wind protection that doesn't make my head move around. This is a severe safety concern! The wind should not move my head around!
  13. Velociraptor

Velociraptor TrackBum Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    The more I read about these big adventure bikes the more I plan to keep my 690r enduro! In fact if anything I would go even lighter with the 500. I got to see how it was to ride big KTMs and Beemers for a week in Baja and it wasn't pretty. Yeah if you want to go cross country and do some dirt roads the big bikes are OK, but sketchy conditions off road, no thank you!
  14. Navin

Navin Long timer

Oddometer:
  15. Harold Waikiki

Harold Waikiki oldfatdumbbrokeoutofshape

Oddometer:
    on a 2 month trip with 3 bikes all over the west. 2012 ktm 350 exc, 2011 ktm 990 dakar, 2011 ducati multi touring. I LOVE my 990. ride the crap out of it off road. can't wait for the 1190 so I can trash rear tires faster. will keep all my bikes and add the 1190! also have a 2009 ktm 530 exc so feel I can have a rational opinion. rode the multi a teensy bit off road in enduro mode. not to be repeated. keep that baby on pavement. the gnarlier the better, but paved. trashed a mefo super explorer on the rear of the 990 on this trip. can't wait for multi power in a ktm 990-like bike!!!!
  16. HappyGoLucky

HappyGoLucky Goeie Grys Giftige Gert!

Oddometer:

That IMG is hilarious. Well spotted :lol3
  17. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    :rofl :fyyff
  18. Salvo

Salvo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    If you exemplify "loyal KTM" customers, their better off leaving you behind. Some haters just can't help themselves Sakurama, its an innate dysfunction. KTM is smarter than that, the latte upscale crowd is where the money is, and thats what a business is all about. Just ask BMW.

I agree with Velociraptor, 690r or less for the technical stuff. 1190 is the right bike for ADV touring
  19. orange spy

orange spy diddly squat

Oddometer:
    :thumb
  20. KMC1

KMC1 There is no spoon.

Oddometer:
    Yeah! That's why I don't see a problem with KTM making the new 1190 - it's still going to be a better dirtbike than the GSA, but it's really not important since so few people want to take a behemoth like a GSA, the 990 or now the 1190 seriously offroading. I know *some* people do - but it's really not many as a raw number. Would YOU want to build a company on that market?

That's what my point is in posting the pics I posted - I was over 1000 miles from home when I got stuck with the LT...:shog it was the wrong bike for what I wanted to do - but it really got my juices flowing to go out exploring far from home for a week or more at a time. That's why I got the GSA - I'm not intending to really offroad with it (although I have on a couple occasions done trails that really aren't "GS friendly" but I don't have pics) because I want it to be a comfortable and reliable long distance mount, that can take me off the beaten path 1000 miles from home. But when I am 1000 miles from home, by myself, usually in a different country - how hard offroad do I really want to do, anyway? I would prefer to see the OUTSIDE of Mexican hospitals, thanks! :lol3 And, as I pointed out - that stupid wipe out cost me $1500... how many times a year do you think I'm willing to do that?

That's why I have the EXC - that's the "playbike" that I don't mind being a little rough on - but even then - I have to work tomorrow, I have a real career and people who depend on me so it's not like I'm pretending I'm Travis Pastrana or something. :bubba
    Anyway, I've have had a lot of bikes in my life and only one KTM (the exc I have now) and this new 1190 has really caught my eye - so maybe KTM is onto something here?? :scratch