Head checkin whilst in your cage?

Discussion in 'The Perfect Line and Other Riding Myths' started by kaman, Feb 9, 2013.

1. kaman

kaman WeeStromer

Oddometer:
    OK... Am I the only one that caught himself doing a head check while riding inside an enclosed vehicle? Even when I can't even actually turn around I have on occasion caught myself starting to turn to check the neighbors lane. I have to laugh when I do it.:rofl
  2. Offcenter

Offcenter On The Road Again!

Oddometer:
    I do it all the time. Been doing it for years. I never trust the mirrors.
  3. advNZer?

advNZer? Long timer

Oddometer:
    i do it,there is a blind spot if the car beside you is nearly right beside you
  4. RustyStuff

RustyStuff Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Thats something I do, no matter what I'm driveing.
  5. ADVATT

ADVATT f/k/a "Heavy Cy"

Oddometer:
    Illnoise.Flat as a pool table.Crooked as a snake.
    Motorcycling *can* make one a much safer cager. It definitely does that to me. I actively check blind spots and scan side to side numerous times through intersections. Bicycle racing even from decades ago does too. I routinely look through the windows of that car in front of me to see what that car in front of them is doing just like looking 2-3 bikes ahead in a pack where your front wheel is inches from someone's back wheel. Never raced motorcycles so I couldn't fathom all that a moto GP racers mind would be processing.
  6. Boondox

Boondox Travels With Barley

Oddometer:
    I absolutely agree with heavy Cy. Motorcyclists who have situational awareness and take responsibility for their own safety are among the best drivers I've ever known. As on the bike, when in my cage I'm constantly scanning.
  7. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:
    WTF. You are supposed to do a head check while driving to clear your blindspot. One of the more scary near-hits I experienced was some idiot in a van who changed lanes without headchecking while I was in the process of rolling past on a two lane highway.

If you are not regularly checking your blindspot before changing lanes while driving, I hope we never share the same street.
  8. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:
    I've put those convex blind spot mirrors on every vehicle I've owned for years. Don't have to head check as much. My 2500 Dodge van had a blind spot that would hide a bus.
  9. MotorradMike

MotorradMike MIL-TFD-41

Oddometer:
    They all do that.
  10. genespleen

genespleen Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I was always taught that mirrors can only say "no': they should not be understood to say "yes."
  11. Mr_Gone

Mr_Gone Viking Berserker

Oddometer:
    I always do a head check. My dad was a driving instructor, and when he taught me, he taught me to always look in the blind spot.
  12. Twilight Error

Twilight Error Going nowhere slowly

Oddometer:
    I used to drive a Ram 2500, with the cap on, its blind spot was the size of Chicago. Not only would I head check, if I had a passenger, I'd ask them to look also.
  13. LuciferMutt

LuciferMutt Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer:

I have those on our Xterra...what they don't help with is, for example, you are in the right lane, wanting to move into the middle lane, and there is another car in the left lane wanting to move into the middle lane at the same time. You won't see that person unless you physically check -- all you'll experience is the crash...
  14. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    With proper mirrors there should not be a blind spot. :1drink
  15. rbrsddn

rbrsddn 3banger

Oddometer:

That's why those convex ones work. They make shitty mirrors Proper.:deal I definitely do head checks when the situation warrants. Blind spot mirrors are another tool in the kit.
  16. anotherguy

anotherguy Long timer

Oddometer:
    Trusting mirrors leads to bad things. Always look or pay the consequences.
  17. DAKEZ

DAKEZ Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mirrors do not lie they only reflect what is. If you have proper mirrors there are no blind spots. :deal
  18. Wraith Rider

Wraith Rider Banned

Oddometer:
    How could one even THINK about not to head check? Especially with the reduced vision from inside a cage. Crazy.

And there should be world peace, there should be gender equality, there should be someone who presents me with one or two million dollars. Yet...
  19. bwalsh

bwalsh Long timer

Oddometer:
    [Klay]Proper[Klay]

And where do you get these mythical "proper" mirrors? In a cage there is always going to be some sort of blind spot, even with fish eyes. Even on the bike there is a little blind spot...enough to do a quick head check, although I always do it no matter what vehicle I am in/on. New riders are also taught to do head checks in the BRC while changing lanes due to the BLIND SPOT...

As to the original question...From the Virginia drivers manual, Page 16...

http://www.dmv.state.va.us/webdoc/pdf/dmv39.pdf

It's been that way since before I started driving 36 years ago.
  20. fast4d

fast4d Long timer

Oddometer:
    I do it before any lane change in a cage, on my bike, etc.

it's also in the CA driver's handbook IIRC.

like someone mentioned. everytime an a-hole cager comes close to side swiping me it was not performed.