New Harley-Davidson V-Rod owner -- any others?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by ridenm, May 25, 2014.

1. sixspeed

sixspeed Put on the WHOLE armor

Oddometer:
    Exiled from the land of gum bands & bottle of pop
    I'm SO blessed not to be a "pop culture" kind of guy so I don't worry much about doing and buying what others are going crazy for. All for the better since I've wasted a small fortune on new cars/trucks in my life without being a band wagoner.

If there's one consolation for you it's that the 2014 "rushmore" bikes are likely bringing a glut of 09-13 baggers on the market at real market prices.

If an HD bagger is what tickles you this just might be a good time.... and of course don't forget to look at no-mileage cop bikes if you can find them. :D
  2. danielraible

danielraible Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Interesting hearing the negative comments about the VRod handling, especially the newer ones. I took a 2014 out for a demo ride recently, frankly not expecting much, but was surprised how easy it was to turn - especially with that huge rear tire. Not a fan of the idea of a 240, but didn't really notice its deficiencies while riding.

I had my doubts, but was surprised. It actually really peaked my interest in finding an older streetrod, since it should handle even better.

Hearing the comments in this thread, maybe I missed something. Might rent one for a day and wring out some more. But I remember it being quick, great brakes, and very easy to handle in curves at speed and parking lots. Definitely did not feel like a 600+ lb bike.
  3. kirb

kirb should be out riding

Oddometer:
    I wanted to like the one I rented in Vegas. I didn't. The fork rake SUCKED, the suspension was sub-par, the brakes were meh...Scraping everything everywhere kept you from pushing the bike past slow speeds. Mids would change the handling, but not fix my other issues.

The 240 tire was much more 'there' than one on a bike like the Diavel. Test ride one of those if you are curious of what good suspension, brake, and power are supposed to be on a bike with a wide rear.
  4. ridenm

ridenm WALSTIB Supporter

Oddometer:
    Riding my bike and the new one back-to-back the tire profile was quite noticeable. Unfortunately fashion dictates that all the new ones have the wide tire affliction. One thing this has taught me is how short-sighted the MoCo was in re: the V-Rod platform. The drivetrain really should be powering a sport-touring model that would be hundreds of pounds lighter than their big twin touring models.
  5. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
  6. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I like the V-rod but never liked the forward pegs, this is the first time I see it with peg on the normal place!!!!!:ear
  7. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Mid pegs are standard for this model.

George
  8. achtung3

achtung3 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Old Lion, I'd better start looking again! I never knew that V-Rods came with mid pegs!!!
  9. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer:
    Read post # 10 in this thread.

George
  10. jwoods986

jwoods986 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OP - congrats on winning the bike!

After doing a lot of research on them (I'm a nerd), I rode my first vrod yesterday, a 2012 Night Rod Special, and I really liked it! The engine, tranny, and riding position just felt right. And I am not coming from a cruiser background, used to ride sportbikes, so the forward controls have been the most difficlut thing for me to adjust to on test rides. It didn't work for me on the Victory Gunner or Triumph Storm, but felt good on the new Low Rider (which is actually mid-forward), and now the NRS.

Part of the reason for researching so much was that I wanted to learn which models had (or could add) the mid-mount controls, because I thought I would have to have them on a vrod. I don't feel that way now, but it seems there a few here that would be interested in a vrod with mids, so here's a rundown:
    '06-'07 VRSCR - Street Rod. Mids stock, higher seat (30"), revised suspension, etc., probably the most "sport" vrod made so far.
    '06-'08 VRCSD - the original Night Rod (not Special). Mid controls and highway pegs, but I don't think much else was changed, i.e. seat, suspension, etc., so I would think mids with the standard seat (low) would make for very tight legroom.
    '07-present VRSCDX - Night Rod Special. Forward controls but as mentioned earlier, there is a mid control kit for them. But then I think you run into the same problem as the VRSCD, unless you raise the seat, the legroom will be very tight.

The Harley world is a whole new thing to me, so I'm certainly no expert, if something I've posted is wrong, or there are other vrod options w/ mids, please chime in.
  11. Old_Lion

Old_Lion Crotchety Biker

Oddometer: