Soccer Thread V1: Klinsmann for Gold?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Bshelton, Jan 2, 2013.

1. Bshelton

Bshelton Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi guys, just seeing if anyone on here enjoys some soccer banter at all. I'll start out, I support Liverpool and its been a rough year so far. Hoping this transfer window see's us get some much needed quality up front. Ah also some talking points:

Man Utd are scum
    Can Harry Redknapp pull off another miracle with QPR
    And in spite of the first point Gary Neville is the greatest pundit/analyst on the air right now.
  2. Bshelton

Oddometer:
    No one? No one on these forums like soccer?
  3. mancunian

mancunian Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hello brother from across the pond, Harry seems to be doing ok but Benitez is the big surprise !
  4. mikem9

mikem9 Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I'm a convert.

At first I was very disappointed that LIverpool didn't land Clint Dempsey. But, looks like the Spurs are doing well now and he's starting to show better there. I think he would have been a good fit at Liverpool though.
  5. Icewalker

Icewalker Conundrum

Oddometer:
    :cry 6th place ..... no trophies for a good few years now. And everyone keeps jumping ship. On the bright side I don't think Arsenal is in any debt unlike quite a few of the teams in the premier league
  6. Bshelton

Oddometer:
    This is true! IDK how all the FFP rules are going to affect big spending teams. They may just get around them like City's big "sponsorship".

Also agree with the surprise Rafa. But with money Rafa could be deadly, he's a top manager.

In transfers I'm glad Liverpool picked up Sturridge, I think if his attitude can be controlled he will be a great signing, plus he's versatile.
  7. mancunian

Oddometer:
    Man utd Liverpool tomorrow brother:wink:
  8. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    The original Thread football/soccer has been a dead subject here, unfortunately (except for the big tournaments like the Euros and World Cup).
  9. mancunian

Oddometer:
    been reading through interesting:wink:
  10. Bshelton

Oddometer:
    Welp, Man Utd beat Liverpool very deservedly. Liverpool were terrible in the first half, but the second was much much better. I think Daniel Sturridge is going to be a great signing for us. The game completely opened up when we had three forwards instead of 2 wingers and Suarez in the middle. But credit to Utd, they got the goals and thats all that really matters. Also credit to Howard Webb as I think he did a fantastic job officiating this game.
  11. wxwax

wxwax Excited Member

Oddometer:
    You saw all there was to see in Sturridge yesterday. Blazing speed, gets in good positions, shoots from terrible angles, profligate, selfish, doesn't pass to an open Suarez, doesn't smile when he scores. He's never happy, it seems. Not sure he'll ever change, but you never know.
  12. JNRobert

JNRobert Breaking Wind

Oddometer:
    Guardiola goes to Bayern. Not surprising he turned down the fruitcake who own Chelsea (although I thnk Benitez is doing a good job there and should stay). The EPL is heading to trouble with its unsustainable mega-owners and Sep might just build a club that can rival Barcelona with the much more sane German league model.
  13. Bshelton

Oddometer:
    I have high hopes for Sturridge. I'd rather he took shots from crazy angles than not take them at all like all our other players. Hes a nice burst of speed and lets Suarez move away from defenders. I also have high hopes for Fabio Borini. I think he can become a very good player and has great off the ball movement, which is something we DESPERATELY need.
  14. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

Well, apart from the Benitez bit...

Talking of Chelski, why the heck in the world would you allow Lampard to leave the club ? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.
  15. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    I hope he turns out to be a good buy - Liverpool have wasted way too much money on mediocre players in the past.

Did you see the reports about Suarez admitting he dived in the game against Stoke ? I've supported Liverpool for a very very long time and I have to say, I'd sooner Suarez left tomorrow. He really is an odious little shit and I'd sooner we lose without him than win by him cheating. He's destroying the great legacy of Liverpool and I wish we'd never signed him.
  16. Bshelton

Oddometer:
    thats ridiculous. Its a media witch hunt on Suarez nothing more. Hes honest, why punish him for that. Hes trying to change his game to not dive and people are calling for his head. Id like to see them come down so hard on Rooney, Bale or Young. No, that wont happen as theyre english/welsh. The United controlled FA and media is a bit ridiculous I have to say. Also, where would Liverpool be without Suarez this year? Relegation battle anyone?
  17. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    :rofl

I guess you missed the part where he's admitted to diving :dunno

I never implied for one second he's the only one that dives, Bale in particular is a dickhead when it comes to that. This has nothing to do with nationality and everything to do with character.

He's a diver. Fact. Also, did you not see his deliberate handball on the line at the World Cup ?

As for where Liverpool would be without Suarez this year (and last) ? With a boat load more integrity that's for sure...

He and people like him are a fucking cancer on the game.
  18. Bshelton

Oddometer:
    I would've done the same thing in WC. He got a red card and Ghana was awarded a penalty. If Gyan scored there would be no big deal about it. Suarez should not be criticized for Gyan not finishing off a penalty.

Ashley Young. Worst diver in the EPL. Plays for United so nothing is said about his playing style.

Rio was the only one out of the three (Suarez, Ferdinand and Terry) who had actual physical proof of racism and he gets less than both other players.

The english media is ridiculous, and they eat that crap up over there.
  19. Ragin Rabbi

Ragin Rabbi Semper Fidelis

Oddometer:
    Suarez pisses me off because he has talent, but seems to get lazy and goes for a dive or handball.

Spurs able to draw against Man-How-I-Hate-Sir-Freaking-Whinny-Ass-United!:clap

I think Spurs can claim Third. Need to if they are to keep Bale.
  20. Mercury264

Oddometer:
    What a fucking terrible point of view. I pity you...I really do.