ktm 500 exc?

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by Visigothic, Apr 27, 2011.

1. oldx

oldx Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for your info.
  2. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    FYI, Vortex has a CDI unit available for the 350 EXC-F through KTM Twins.

It's a bit hard to find on the site as it's under the 690 version and for engine type you choose the 350 EXC-F. Apparently, they'll be carrying more KTM dirtbike stuff in the new year. I've been a happy customer and Ron's always been great to get things organized.

No kickbacks for me - just a fan who's rabidly waiting for his Vortex!
  3. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:

Would you like me to call Richard at vortex I know him quite well .

OK spoke to richard he has no plans for the 500exc I did mention that there is a US spec EXC ECU it is locked out and changes can not be made ,but it all comes down to demand , he would have to get orders for X amount before testing and production would start , Also offered my bike as a test bed .
  4. Bartron

Bartron 'Tenacious B' the Bike Punisher

Oddometer:
    You are connected!

Thanks Mudguts, fortunately I've got a 350 and was able to order the Vortex. I hang out here because so much stuff is transferrable between the bikes. I can only imagine what a monster the 500 would be with a Vortex.
  5. Mudguts

Mudguts when in doubt GAS IT

Oddometer:

Yes it would be quite a handful i rode my 690 for the first time in six months on the weekend cause i love the 500 .

Richard has a 350 and knows the weak points , and there is a calling for the vortex with the sx models
  6. thedesertdalton

thedesertdalton www.desertdaltons.nl

Oddometer:
    We keep it cool, fit's now with the 20ltr. acerbis tank, extra fan and Twin Air oil cooler..

[​IMG]
  7. thedesertdalton

Oddometer:
    Finished....now headed to the paintshop, it's gonna look like an angry bird...we head for Dakar in 30 days...

[​IMG]
  8. teambft

teambft teambft

Oddometer:
    SWEEET!!! Good luck! :clap
  9. harcus

harcus Long timer

Oddometer:
    That is one beautiful aux tank. :D
  10. Colemanfu

Colemanfu King of all manfu

Oddometer:
    Looking forward to seeing the paint job! :freaky
  11. bill1960

bill1960 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
  12. jesusgatos

jesusgatos fishing with dynamite

Oddometer:
    Is that a Dirttricks computer fan kit mounted on the frontside of the radiator? Can't imagine that's going to last long...
  13. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    I know this is the 500EXC thread, but I'm sure this group is the right knowledge base for my question. Does the 350XC-F have the same transmission ratios as the 350XCF-W and 350EXC? Thinking about plating an XC-F and wanted to now about the trans ratios. TIA.
  14. Gryphon12

Gryphon12 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I thought the "-W" meant wide-ratio. Hence, why would you assume that the ratios would be the same? I believe the answer is "of course not".
  15. thedesertdalton

Oddometer:
    Hi Bill,

No, we made it together with Twin Air Netherlands, there's a guy who has a workshop at his house with CNC machinery, he makes the oil coolers and oil pump covers for Twin Air.

We found out this idea Twin Air found out with this oil cooler and contacted them, so we got in touch with this workshop, brought our spare engine and after a week of measuring the program for the cnc machinery was ready, the original brackets that hold the cooler on the radiator would also fit with the original tank from the 450 and 500 but as we installed the 20ltr. Acerbis tank we had to make new brackets so the cooler would move about 1 cm closer to the frame.

We found out that the 2012 450 and 500 engine do need different oil pump covers, the connection inside the engine is different, just by 1mm but it's different, also the original oil filter needs some mods buit it can be used.

Since we build our rally bike ourselfs we had to do allot of inventing, it turned out to be a good looking and well performing bike so far..
  16. thedesertdalton

Oddometer:
    Hi Jesus,

That's correct, it's the one from dirt tricks!

It's protected on the side with the big fuel tank and we mounted it as high as possible on the radiator, we turned everything around to make it work since this blower normally is mounted on the back of the radiator.

When riding, the air speed catches the fan and since we turned everything around it will rotate the same way as when the power is turned on so that couldnt do much damage, then there's rocks, dust, water etc.etc. we don't know if it will last but we will know soon...

We leave the power switch on and connected the fan to the original fan, also fused it, they will turn on at the same time, and since the turn singals are not on the bike anymore we connected a wire to the green control lamp so that we know when the fans are spinning, just a little indication that tells us something about the engine heat, an oil temperature gauge will be mounted also, we replace the oil drain plug by a sensor M12X1,5 and put a digital counter in the cockpit.
  17. thedesertdalton

Oddometer:
    Hi Harcus,

We will start selling the parts after we return.

Complete Faring
    Rear 5L Tank
    Skid plate with 1700cc water reservoir and big toolbox compartment.

So keep an eye on it!
  18. SoilSampleDave

SoilSampleDave Dr. Zaius was right!

Oddometer:
    In theory, yes. But KTM used to be notorious for mixing and matching stuff out of the parts bin and it didn't always follow the naming rules. I know the W's have softer engine mapping, open chamber forks, and softer suspension settings.
  19. cross-country

cross-country .

Oddometer:
    I was looking at this the other day, it looks like the xc-f and xcf-w have the same 6th gear ratio, different 1st gear ratio. I don't know about the rest.
  20. ram350

ram350 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Just had my fan switch quit working and had to hard wire the fan to get out of the woods. I tried searching and can't find the info on a different switch that comes on at a lower temp that I know some guys have used. Anyone have a source or part #