The Trans Missouri Trail - The "TMOT"

Discussion in 'GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States' started by bash3r, Jan 6, 2011.

1. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I believe a friend of mine got it for her Mac last year.
  2. BigDogAdventures

BigDogAdventures Fart Letter Supporter

Oddometer:
    An e-trex will store 10 track logs---this .gpx file only has one track log.
    You don't even need a map on your gps to follow a track log---of course everyone wants one.

New versions of Garmins mapsource mapping software will open a .gpx file--then all you have to do is upload it into your e-trex----------it's a one second click of the mouse.

If you had garmin mapsource ---you could zoom in and print out all the detailed maps you wanted.

Writing down a bunch of coordinates would take a month-------I like using the one second click of the mouse method :D

BigDog
  3. ezrdr55

ezrdr55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for the weather to get a little warmer so that I can ride some of these:clap
  4. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Gary, as in "MY tracks" I meant just that.. my tracks but not my routes. Said differently, those I've actually ridden and confirmed are passable so we don't send people down a dead end like Cannon was saying. But by no means saying "I created them". Only way I could say that is if I dozed the road and laid the gravel.. lol.

If there are any routes that need to be removed please let me know. Like I mentioned earlier I wasn't even going to include the SBR routes but threw them in there because of how popular the SBR has become.
  5. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    When I can get some tracks cleaned up (and ride a few parts) I have a straight shot ride from Iowa to Arkansas staying pretty much east of Rolla ....down south by Eminence is Buzzez inspired which probably means be careful if there are Spring rains.....:evil....including a detour of the Tram Trail he told me about which is another story in itself.....We stopped by there on our way back from Arkansas in 07 but it was all mud from the bad rains so we blew it off...In '08 I plotted a ride to camp and visit but didn't get to go due to unforeseen circumstances......but everyone told me what a great time they had.....:lol3
  6. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    Hey Gary.. should we note the snot crossings?! :rofl Maybe a special icon for those suckers!

North Missouri is a quadrant we need some routes for. I have no clue what's of interest up there as far as cool things to see ?!
  7. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    I know that there is a lot of stuff in N. Missouri, but most of my time has been spent pretty much south of I-70. On the MS-150 bike ride this past year I drove some gravel roads in a SAG van trying to cut over to another part of the bike route, so there are gravel roads up that way that run between paved county roads. Up north of Sturgeon.

I have been over to visit Thousand Hills State Park outside of Kirksville, which has a really nice lake and campgrounds.

Looks like this project has a good start and is picking up momentum!
  8. ThumperDRZ

ThumperDRZ Bouncing off Rocks!

Oddometer:
    Up though Hannibal is a great ride staying by the river.....I have it plotted with almost all gravel and for a first timer would be a great ride. I went to College in Kirksville and there are gravel roads everywhere up that way....we used to head 5 miles any way out of town on a gravel road and go fishing....loved it up there.....I used to hang at Thousand Hills State Park but back then it was about beer, frisbees, and hot wimmins . I'm in for a ride up north for some plotting this summer......See if we can't link the TWAT with the TIT (Trans Iowa Trail) to the TMOT and the TART :lol3

That is if there is a TIT - Pete you listening?

EDIT: I see the TIT is 205...(Trans Illinois Trail and Trans Iowa Trail) so I guess that means there will be two of them :evil
  9. svr700

svr700 wrrider

Oddometer:

Shouldn't Illinois be TILT?
  10. lfs225

lfs225 Reintarnation: Coming back to life as a hillbilly.

Oddometer:
    Naples, Fl with a storage unit (house) Mo
    I feel I must add my two cents worth. Laying out a trail across Missouri is a fine idea but it can not be done with a committee. I suspect Sam Correro knew that so he did the TAT by himself. Or at least, with no committee.

Getting ideas from others is a grand idea. But sooner or later SOME ONE person is going to have to be the leader. Take responsibility on whether you turn left or right at intersection A and then DO IT.

All of us will appreciate his efforts. Most of us will follow and be thankful we have a continuous trail to ride. All of us could make minor improvements but all of us CAN'T. Or it will never get done.

Bash3r, Big Dog and DRZ Charlie may need to take the bull by the horns. :trp
    afcope likes this.
  11. sieg

sieg Wearing out tires......2 at a time, day after day. Supporter

Oddometer:
    I think it can be done in sections by different people with maps and GPS's and computers. As long as each person rides and confirms their section as previously discussed. I laid out a 200 mile off road course (MTRA's SHOW ME 200) in that fashion, surly a road course can't be harder. Cut and paste sections, it was correct when we went out to ride it for the first time.
  12. ezrdr55

ezrdr55 Been here awhile

Oddometer:

ThumberDRZ,

We use to ride out to the lake (1973-1977) and ride around the entire lake and miles of trails. I graduated from MNSU in '77 and I'm sure that is no longer allowed, but man some of my best riding memories are there and the local MX tracks on my Bultaco Alpina & Pursang.:freaky
  13. devrodirt

devrodirt devro

Oddometer:
    Yea, get the Trans-Mo defined! Good work to all.
    There is a TART, Trans Arkansas Trail that is the result of a lot of work by a local Arkie, these trails could tie together.

Maybe I didn't read enough, but is this route across MO to be a small bike (450 or less) or BIG Bike route (650 and more)?

I haven't ridden the TART but knowing of the guy who put it through I think it favors small bikes.
    I am working on a north/south route through Arkansas that is going to be BIG bike and fender bunny friendly. It will go to Blue Eye.
  14. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Devro,

The TART is small bike friendly. There are sections near Lake Winona and in the Weyerhauser Forests that would present problems for anything larger than 650.

JoeNuclear did the TART with his XRL however, he is an accomplished rider and his bike is set up for it. There are some long sections of pavement on the TART due to lack of adjacent gravel or trails and rivers without crossings. But, the paved sections (which were unpaved three years ago) are nice and twisty so it makes up for being paved.

Damn Gubermint is screwing with roads by paving them...ack For those who are interested in tying the Missouri trail into the TART you will find routes and tracks HERE.
  15. intothenew

intothenew Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer:
    For what it's worth, I got a chance to lay down some tracks through IL recently. I took the opportunity to try and extend the OTC to something that you guys have laid out. BigDogs was the most convenient. This ain't polished by any means, but the track logs are legit. The run along the levee on the east side of Ol' Miss is pretty nice. The section through Hamilton and Wayne Counties is pretty nice also. Zig Zagging between the lakes is mostly paved. I also collected a detour around Evansville, and I'm still not satisfied. I think that section is going to have to run up into Gibson County for any satisfaction.

[​IMG]
  16. lfs225

Oddometer:
    This looks like a neat route. Is it something you would share the .gpx files on? :ear
  17. intothenew

Oddometer:
    Yep, it's free to any ADV member. It's the sticky just above this thread, "A Hole in the Fence".

It's a long way from home for me, I really need some help on it from some locals.
  18. lfs225

Oddometer:
    Thanks. Did as you directed. Thanks again, up front. :wave
  19. bash3r

bash3r 790ADVR

Oddometer:
    No worries there.. you're gonna get some help for sure :deal
  20. intothenew

Oddometer:
    And I really, really need it. I ride the pig out on slab for a few hundred miles, collect about 200 and then have to head back, slabbin' it I might add. A man shouldn't complain about ridin' I suppose, but it just seems so inefficient.

I've got plenty of bright ideas, I just run out of time each time I am out that way. :lol3

IL/IN/KY, somebody step up to the plate. Please? It's just "A Hole in the Fence", we need somebody with a key to the gate. :deal