Best mesh jacket for Texas heat

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by dogboy11, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Racer_man

Racer_man 500,000 miles so far

Oddometer:
    I like my Tourmaster Intake. :nod Lightweight, lots of air flow, and retains good protection. I've put about 20,000 miles on it now, no tears, no zipper issues. Comes with a rain liner that also makes it great to block the wind at night.

Garry
  2. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

To me the airglide is fine below about 90 but above it's a little too warm.
  3. bluebonnet2

bluebonnet2 bluebonnet2

Oddometer:
    good morning,

FLY racing coolmesh pro...hi-vis, cool enough for me..added additional armor...105 yesterday on the way home(32 miles) from work...7.30 pm....:D:D 64 miles rd trip. almost every day.....2009 .kawa ER6-N....47 mpg avg....

pura vida,
    FREE TEXAS,
    bluebonnet2
  4. markk53

markk53 jack of all trades... Super Supporter

Oddometer:
    Someone's probably said it, but the most important thing is the color. Lighter = cooler. It may get dirty faster, but it will stay cooler when you're sitting still or moving slow. Even red is worlds better than black, per my experience with mesh and coats in general.
  5. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

On a bike I cant tell much difference in the color. There is some research out there that says when moving black is cooler, sitting still light colors cooler.

A friend who studies that kinda shit told me get black mesh and wear a white tee underneath it. The white reflects the heat back the black holds the heat on the exterior where wind currents can wick it away. Same as black tipped guard hairs on a camel.
  6. Trinity

Trinity Byron in Texas

Oddometer:
    A couple of years ago, I replaced my very satisfactory First Gear mesh jacket with a Motoport Kevlar Mesh jacket. The added "beefiness" of the material and ribcage armor of the Motoport reduces the airflow a bit, but the Motoport is now my "go to" jacket for spring and summer riding.
  7. frontiercat

frontiercat Space Staion #5

Oddometer:

Makes good sense. Kind of like why the air conditioning condensing unit's fins and coils are painted black....
  8. John Smallberries

John Smallberries Long timer Super Supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
  9. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Where in OKC? Do they have a good selection/sizes? The closest place I knew of, prior to this, was MotoLiberty in Dallas. I currently have the RS Tachi Team Leather Mesh jacket, it flows air pretty good as well, but has leather panels on the common "ground contact" areas. The only problem with the the Team Leather Mesh jacket is that it is "sport cut" and the sizing is pretty important. Gain or lose 10 pounds and the jacket won't fit, lol. I've been wanting to take a good look at the Breeze Jacket - RS Taichi makes really nice stuff.
  10. Bikerv2

Bikerv2 Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. markk53

Oddometer:

All I really know is what I've experienced too. The worst thing is sitting still or going too slow to get air in the coat. From there, it seems air flow is the predominant thing. And remember the color black absorbs heat, regardless. In the hot weather it is the sun beating down, so if black absorbs heat and white reflects it, the lighter color is right regardless of air flow. I don't think the black is going to absorb much body heat while moving, no where near what the air flow provides and that is what cools the rider. More air more evaporation, more cooling.
  12. markk53

Oddometer:

I'm thinking there is something different with ari conditioning, using the external heat energy to create the cooling. Some form of heat exchanger. I don't think it's quite that simple. All high performance radiators I've seen now are all natural aluminum no paint of any color. If it boosted cooling they'd be black.
  13. jmolsberg

jmolsberg Adventurer

Oddometer:
    awesome in the Tejas heat!
  14. SportEvo

SportEvo Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    is the best hot weather jacket i've worn.
    Pete
    Dallas
  15. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    I know you asked for mesh input, and I even responded with my BMW Venting Machine input. There is some evidence that above some really high temps the airflow through the jacket actually makes one hotter, and it may be better to wear a solid jacket. I do know that at that point I am wearing my Veskimo cool suit.
  16. mike1952

mike1952 Long timer

Oddometer:

I have one of these as well as a bushwaker. Happy with both.
  17. perterra

perterra -. --- .--. .

Oddometer:

From another inmate here a few days ago. It was explained to me using camels since the tips of their hair is solid black with a lighter color underneath.

18. TAS

TAS Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I ride 85 miles per day (commute on I95) year round in SE Florida, the summer heat can be brutal. I wear a "size larger" Technic Supervent jacket with a white cotton tee shirt underneath and it has worked very well for me. The jacket is slightly loose compared to what I would normally wear and I'm very comfortable at highway speeds for the duration of the commute. I've lost a good bit of weight and am looking at buying a Spidi Multitech Armor mesh jacket in the near future to replace the Supervent. I like the extra armor and it has no material in the armpits. We'll see how it works out.
  19. LoneStar

LoneStar WhoopDeDoofus Supporter

Oddometer:
    Joe Rocket Phoenix flows air better than any jacket I've found yet - especially the older versions.

If you're sitting still in traffic you're screwed no matter what :deal
  20. lhendrik

lhendrik Putins Puppet

Oddometer:
    JR Phoenix, boy that brings back memories. They flow melted nylon and blood well too! Better than nothing though, and available for almost nothing used. I may even have a couple somewhere in my closet....