The Yamaha Super Tenere XT1200Z Big Thread

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by mr moto, Feb 9, 2008.

1. geno_rocket

geno_rocket Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That was my experience. picked up a 12 at a small town dealer while all the big metro guys were sold out of 12 and 13.
  2. Starkmojo

Starkmojo Chief Totberry

Oddometer:
    Where the valley rises up to the shifting mountain
    There was a 12 cheaper than my 13, but it was 400 miles away and by the time i factored in gas, time, lost overtime it wasn't that great a deal. Plus my local dealer was wanting to get it gone, so it was a win win and start of a good relationship. :freaky
  3. geno_rocket

Oddometer:
    Yep, my rural dealer was only 50 miles away. I like to ride, but not 400 miles just to save a few $$$. Loving the bike so far. :clap
  4. TheBlurr

TheBlurr Banned

Oddometer:
    Mine was three hours out of the way, after I looked at it he met me an hour and a half away when I was ready to pick it up. Was worth it, everything is at least that far away as distance in Montana is measured by Hours. :clap
  5. geno_rocket

Oddometer:
    Boy that is the truth! I stopped at a gas station once and asked how far away Little Big Horn Monument was. The attendant said something like "just a little ways over that direction". Four hours later I arrived. :lol3
  6. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    So, for the 2014 Super Tenere, how is the bikes power? Does it feel snappy or is it like the >2014 models?
  7. markjenn

markjenn Long timer

Oddometer:
    CW's characterization:

- Mark
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    I rode one back to back with my flashed '11 model and mine is much punchier. But the '14 is just a flash away from being like that.
  9. Cataract2

Cataract2 Where to?

Oddometer:
    Good to hear. So, how would you compare your flashed Super Tenere to say the R1200GS?
  10. Thagua

Thagua Let's go adventuring...

Oddometer:
    Thanks to all the feedback on this site I requested information from TRS and they recommend their relay which has a timed delay and thus will not fire until the engine starts and is compatible with DDM ballasts ... will test and update.

By the way, in my bike you cannot turn off the lights when the engine is running.

Cheers,
    Roberto
  11. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    When I rode my flashed S10 back to back with a friend's LC GS on a twisty mountain road where it was all about low-end and midrange power I thought the two bikes felt very similar.

I recently added an Arrow exhaust and PCV to my bike and both me and my LC GS friend had our bikes dynoed. The torque and HP power curves were very similar up to about 6,000 rpm. From there the LC GS takes off and makes about 16 more peak HP. At the track no doubt that would be a real advantage for the GS but in real world riding on twisty roads not so much. I hardly ever exceed 4000 rpm much less 6K.
  12. Born1944

Born1944 RoadcrafterAlwaysOn

Oddometer:
    This has probably been answered before, but is it TEN-er-ray, or is it ten-AIR-ay.

Does it rhyme with canary or not?
  13. MarkM

MarkM Long timer

Oddometer:
    TEN-er-ray. Rhymes with résumé. At least that's how most moto magazine reviewers pronounce it in their videos.
  14. TheBlurr

TheBlurr Banned

Oddometer:
    Funny shit, sorry you rode out into the beginnings of hell, hopefully you saw some of Montana's Beauty? I am assuming this is the case if you came from the west, if it was four hours from the west that would put you in Butte.
    Four hours from the east is the Devils Hall.
  15. Roadscum

Roadscum Long timer

Oddometer:

I noticed a significant difference in performance between my re-flashed '12 ST and the '14 GS-LC. The additional hp, combined with the lighter weight of the GS makes a significant difference in performance both on the highway and in the twisties. The GS's were both demo bikes with less the 1k mile on the ODO, I suspect the difference would be even greater after the GS's had a few thousand break-in miles on them. As always..... YMMV!

I found the ride modes, including Enduro Pro, on the GS allowed me to taylor the ride with more precision then the YTS. I also found throttle response to be more linear and precise allowing much better total control when pushing hard in the corners on the GS. again.... YMMV!

Paul
  16. McBoab

McBoab Fast side of farty

Oddometer:
    I often wonder if peops really buy a Adventure bike on its ability to be the fastest (adv) bike from a traffic light or on the highway dragstrip. It seems to be missing the other 98% of what these bikes can do for your inner wellbeing when riding them. I had a chance to test ride the MT(FZ)-07 whilst the S10 was in for its headlamp harness and that bike was FUN. I may be tempted to swap when the pending XT-07 Tenere is announced/released (later this year) subject to how Yam decide to build /price it, and tempered by the rumour the XT-09 Triple maybe just around the corner too, though my desire for such would be only if lighter than the S10 (not because it would likely be faster) and the XT-07 maybe a little too flyweight for longer hauls two up. :dunno
  17. tremor38

tremor38 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well, since you've been looking to jump ship for quite some time, and have embellished to the nth degree to reassure yourself about the Kevin-Ash-killing street queen, why not take the plunge? [emoji106][emoji149][emoji579]
  18. dcstrom

dcstrom Long timer

Oddometer:
    Good news - I'm 99% sure this isn't a crack - closer inspection (with a mirror on the inside of the brace) revealed no sign of a crack. So, I think this is just a scratch in the paint. Phew!

19. jwdub

jwdub Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    To be sure about the "crack" I'd think about removing the paint in that area and use some dye penetrant to verify whether it's a crack or not -- wouldn't want that to fail while riding.
  20. Travex

Travex Lost is found

Oddometer: