06’ 30K GS Final Drive Issue!

Discussion in 'GS Boxers' started by claude74, Apr 12, 2009.

1. claude74

claude74 2 Girls, 4 Tities!

Oddometer:
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 9"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/mkanz/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Font Definitions */ @font-face {font-family:Verdana; panose-1:2 11 6 4 3 5 4 4 2 4; mso-font-charset:0; mso-generic-font-family:swiss; mso-font-pitch:variable; mso-font-signature:536871559 0 0 0 415 0;} /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style> About three weeks ago Woodies Wheel Works made my stock cross laced BMW wheels perdy (if you will) by anodizing the rims and powder coating the hubs black. At the same time I put new rubber on (Metzler Tourances) and was/am satisfied by the workmanship and appearance of the GS’s new shoes. But on the other hand I am running into a problem with a slow speed (Between 30-40 mph) hop in the front end and handle bar wobble that I had never encountered before. The hop is consistent while cruising in a straight line and the handle bar wobble happens on deceleration. Thus I brought the bike into Woodies so he could re-check his work, witch came to be spot on. The new tires are not even as true as the wheels Woody fixed! One of the other things we looked at was the final drive. So we put the bike on it’s center stand and let it run. What we noticed was the rear brake caliper moving side to side as the wheel spun. So with the wheel off we did the same test and put a dial indicator next to the wheel mounting plate, sure enough it was spinning WAY out of true. I had never noticed a real problem before now nor have the BMW techs who do all my scheduled maintenance said and or noticed anything. So now it’s in BMW’s hands and I’m requesting that the final drive be replaced or fixed! <o:p></o:p>
    Would love to hear from anyone with a similar issue or professional insight?<o:p></o:p>
    Cheers.<o:p></o:p>
    Claude