Adventure in Ohio?

Discussion in 'Central – From Da Nort Woods to the Plane States' started by somecallmetim, Nov 14, 2003.

1. ruppster

ruppster Long timer

Oddometer:
    Short notice, but I'm doing a gravel ride out of Marietta Wednesday afternoon. Probably leave 12:30-1 tentative plan is Woodsfield & back on maximum gravel. It will be myself (KLR) & another guy from Tallmadge area (1200GSA). Probably laid back speed as long as his bike keeps running :D, it broke down around New Philly last time this was supposed to happen. This is his first time in the SE, I expect he'll be ruined of any other OH riding by Wednesday evening. :rofl
    PM if interested & we can figure out meet up spots.
  2. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Local sales tax?
  3. Moparmanpete

Moparmanpete The Cracken has risen!...maybe? NOPE

Oddometer:
    Not as bad as registration fees
    State registration fee 25.00
    Local TAX 20.00 WTF!!!!
  4. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:
    possible but during the quick google search I did I only found the county tax
  5. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    if you can get it down to 80 in PA, I can pick it up for you early next week. Looks like I'm heading to Jersey after a 08 KLR 650......
  6. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    I've never made apple wine, so I'll give it a shot. I have done grape so the chemistry is similar. I found a super old cider press in my wife's grandparent's barn, so hard cider is a go too.....

I make a mean apple pie shine with my little home distilling operation, usually make enough to have a good fall party. It's also easy to make with everclear, I do either depending on my laziness......
  7. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

got any made up now? I've got a family reunion this weekend and would like to bring a quart or two if I can lay my hands on it.
  8. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    None made, but I can give you a recipe using everclear if you can lay your hands on some. I get it from a buddy in the National Guard, they sell it on bases in Ohio.
  9. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

cool, pm it to me...I may be able to get some
  10. Devil Dog

Devil Dog Q-Tip With Ears

Oddometer:
    That'd be cool :thumb
  11. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
    You have mail. :freaky
  12. Gonzo_Matt

Gonzo_Matt Random Hero

Oddometer:
  13. buildit

buildit Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer:
  14. BikerGeek99

BikerGeek99 Horizon Chaser

Oddometer:
    Dunno if you guys heard or not, but JimBo passed away last Friday.

This is from Facebook:
    I want to thank all my friends and family for your love and support durning this very difficult time. For those of you who have not heard. JimBo passed away Friday around six o'clock. He was sittting on the patio at JimBo's having a beer with friends. His heart stopped and he died instantly. He will be so missed..
  15. Bruno T .

Bruno T . N8YQ

Oddometer:
    Nice to meet you, Michael.

Lots of guys enjoy taking breaks and chatting with each-other, it's a social ride not a race.

As far as you not finding the challenge, yeah i hear you. You were pretty lost for a good part of Saturday anyway, seemed like you were having trouble reading you roll chart (did you even have one . .) and following the route.

My group passed you while you were flailing with your legs out in the sand at crawling speed, never saw you again till dinner.

As far as Sunday's "B" loop and your 950 Adventure, you must have been lost again, if you'd been riding on route you'd have ran quite a bit of single track that would be a chore on a 950.
  16. mgorman

mgorman Crashing since 1964

Oddometer:
    Sorry I didn't hook up Sunday Bruno, we had plans so I rode straight through then the plans got axed and I went to Indian River. I fixed my original post, said you never rode, should have read, you "never rode it" in reference to your 690. Was that you that yelled on the downhill jeep road? The sand messed with me for the first couple sections, New to endless sand, I was bouncing off everything and thought I was going to die out there. Then once I learned to plane it, all was good, only dropped it once, stalled a bunch. The GPS tracks wouldn't upload so i was running off the chart.

I screwed up at the camp cut off Saturday, ended up doing both loops, the A 1.5 times but I didn't mind, those sections in that area were fun.

Sunday I missed one turn that confounded me. Seems like I took the wrong fork before it so nothing matched. I followed the bold line, not the arrow. Took me about 15 minutes of circling and staring for the light to come on. Only rode the 640 both days, no adventure loops.

As for the route, the mileage was always pretty much spot on. The extra miles on Sunday were from riding the mccc trail and working my way up to Indian River and back for lunch.

I had a blast, I'm going back.
  17. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Who knows...

I think the Versys 650 is a great deal at the price it sells at and an even better deal used. The Versys 1000 though is selling at over 14K. At that price point you can get some pretty nice alternatives. Plus it needs to have a shaft drive, IMO. ;)
  18. indypup

indypup ╭∩╮( º.º )╭∩╮

Oddometer:
    Did you ride up there? I was thinking about going but couldn't get anyone to respond about the ride. Probably should have posted in the Michigan thread though. ;)

It's 7 hours from my house... :( People keep telling me I need to go ride up there... ;) I don't particularly like sand but it is softer landing when I crash...lol
  19. dyrtybyrd

dyrtybyrd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I recently bought a leftover 2011 Versys 650 for less than half that price. It's a great bike, especially at the price point. The only reason you "need" a more powerful street bike, is if you ride 2 up a lot. Then, I think you'd want more hp.

I'm sure the V 1000 will be a good bike, but they won't sell very many at 14k. They'll languish in dealer showrooms, much like the Suzuki B-King of a few years ago, and eventually sell at a greatly reduced price.
  20. sion

sion sigh-own

Oddometer:

I happened to stop at JimBo's while out riding today, with intention of getting my camping pass for the Rally...talked to Joy (Jimbo's wife) who told me what happened. The plan is for the Rally to go on as scheduled, but with a memorial for JimBo after the rodeo on sunday, at which they will scatter his ashes as per his wishes.

It is kind of a pirate-fest, but I've enjoyed the JimBo's weekend for the last 4 years and will be going again this year, probably for my last time. Joy and JimBo are good people who put on a helluva good party. JimBo will be missed.