Bluetooth headset for cell phone

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by Rottweiler, Mar 21, 2008.

1. MAD MAN

MAD MAN Space Cadet

Oddometer:
    There is not a way to add an external mic.

The microphone on the S9 is very sensitive, almost too sensitive, most bluetooth earpieces are.

It works well up to 40mph and then wind noise becomes a factor(for people hearing you).

Take into account I have a GSAdv windshield.

That is the biggest drawback to the S9.

Also not everyone is comfortable wearing earbuds, it bothers some people.

I like ear buds because they also act like ear plugs.

I had a dificult time getting the right rubber earpiece setup.

The S9 comes with three different sets to choose from.

There is a Moldable kit for custom fitting your earbuds which I haven't tried but want to.

With reguards to the Scala, if it is bluetooth then it will pair with another piece of Bluetooth hardware, adapter or not.

And like he said its only $30, and the microphone has really good noise cancellation.
  2. Jamie Z

Jamie Z I'm serious. Supporter

Oddometer:

Please don't do this. If you're going to go into a store and waste the salesman's time, the least you could do is buy the product from him.

If you want to save $40, fine. That's what the internet is for, at the cost of not having the hand's on experience. Buy from a reputable online dealer and you can send it back if it doesn't work how you thought it would.

Jamie
  3. MAD MAN

MAD MAN Space Cadet

Oddometer:
    Hey I'm just trying to give out information here,

...and I did buy mine at Best Buy because the guy let me try them on.

So thanks for the lesson in morality.

[​IMG]
  4. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    I just bought on of these:
    [​IMG]

Jabra BT3030

You can use any ear-buds you want and the "dog-tag" can be attached to the interior of your helmet with velcro and then easily used off the bike.

I wasn't sure that I'd like it but it works well both on and off bike (which is what I wanted).

They list for ~$80 but you can find them online for ~$50.
  5. daGeeeze

daGeeeze Geeezed lightning

Oddometer:
    I bought mine just a week or so ago and have used it around the house. It's got its own ear buds but they're too large for my ears and not interchangeable. I plan to cut them off and wire on a normal 3.5mm jack at some point and try to jack it open and attach a wired mic instead of the built in deal. It is small enough to put the dongle part inside my helmet near my mouth though. Best part is it's about $20 and stereo bluetooth. I've got probably 12 hours of talk time on it since its initial charge. I like to run rechargeable batteries from full to empty the first few times.

Since it works so well as is though I might get a second one to cut up. It works very simply.
  6. philthycoder

philthycoder lurker extraordinaire

Oddometer:
    I just got one of these for on-bike use as well... I'm actually using it in addition to a Motorola HS830, which I use for cell phone or close range bike-to-bike comm because of the nice microphone. The BT3030 is used to receive audio from MP3 and GPS in my tank box, and I built a little passive mixer cable which takes the output from the HS830 that would go to the speaker and instead mixes it with the output from the BT3030, so I get all my audio directly into my earbuds without worrying about the low volume on the HS830's speaker. I haven't gotten any actual riding time in with this setup, but if it turns out to work as well as I hope it does, I'll post up full details.
  7. JackstrawAK

JackstrawAK Lonesome Traveler

Oddometer:
    dageez - thakns for the info. Are you talking about the Philips or the Rockr headset? This is exactly what I am thinking about doing as well. Let me know how adding a microphone goes. Thanks.
  8. Jazzzzz

Jazzzzz proof that gravity works

Oddometer:
    Looks like he's talking about the Philips, but FYI the earbuds on the S9 rokr headset are pretty large as well. I bought one and can't wear it for more than 30 minutes or so before it becomes really uncomfortable, and the buds are so large that they don't seal well (don't fit into the ear canal).

I have a Jabra BT030 as well but haven't thought to try placing it in the helmet to answer calls.
  9. FatMatt

FatMatt Pumpkinman

Oddometer:
    How did you orient the mic in-helmet?...I have an mx style shoei...thinking I'll mount the 3030 to the right or left of the mouthpiece, point the 3030 mic backwards (toward my ear) to keep as much of the wind noise down as I can...
  10. CODIY

CODIY Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Philthycoder...

Looking forward to your report. My biggest complaint with the motorola 830 is the low volume. I have been looking into running the audio out through an amplifier, but the power requirements seem to make it less than ideal. Interested to see your set up if it works well.

Keith
  11. beechum1

beechum1 Dandole Gas al Burro

Oddometer:
    I Like the ear buds, i looked @ the rocker, but wasn't sure about fit, i'll look at it again.... also, the sony DS970, or i think the other one is the 980... I'm not interested in making calls, but listening to music IS a priority. I listen to jazz and classical and like my music clarity (@90mph). THanks for the updates on those two models specifically, i'll have to take a look at it.
  12. DriveShaft

DriveShaft Long timer

Oddometer:
    You can fit your S9 under your ff helmet? Dang...I can't squeeze it in mine without feeling like I'm in some mideval torture device. I like my S9, but I have the scalarider for the bike comm...a very flat speaker set up, and a proper mic.
  13. beechum1

Oddometer:
    I just noticed the HBH-DS205 from sony. I get to use my own headphones.... i'm liking this.... i have to check that out.
  14. ravenranger

ravenranger rave

Oddometer:
    I used velcro to put it to the left with the mic pointed toward the back. To the left makes it easier to manipulate the buttons with the left hand. There is some wind noise but it's not too bad considering it wasn't designed for that use.
  15. beechum1

Oddometer:
    k, so....

I like the sony DS220, but it only connects to one device at a time. I'd like something like that, with interchangable headphones, that does two devices at a time. I'm not worried about budget yet, i'll figure that out when i get my choices.... anyone have any suggestions?