The Adirondacks and Beyond

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Day Trippin'' started by prometheus rising, Jul 8, 2010.

1. Hannda

Hannda Short, fat, bearded, old & slow

Oddometer:
    From today's PostStar.

[​IMG]
  2. pitbull

pitbull Long timer

Oddometer:
    Wonderful thread and pictures, thanks so much for posting them.

We had a cottage on the north end of Lake Champlain, on the Quebec, Canadian side, growing up. I spent a number summer days driving through the Adirondacks with my father, who simply loved to take long drives for the sake of seeing places.

As and adult I've taken a few rides through the Adirondacks, from my home in south western Ontario, and often do an overnighter in Lake Placid as it always seemed to be the destination my dad and I would end up in and I've loved the place ever since.

Next week I have a one day job in Stowe, Vermont and instead of flying I'm taking the bike as I have a few extra days time. I will leave Sunday and head for lake placid for a night before heading to Stowe. After the job I think I will run down 100 to the bottom of VT, before turning west home.

Can't wait.
  3. operose

operose Mama tried

Oddometer:
    Just checked out your site, let me know if you want help with content, I think it would be good to break out the camping section into state campgrounds, private campgrounds, and free camping for instance??

Love the pics as always, see you out on the road
  4. prometheus rising

prometheus rising Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer:
    they;re definetly changing as of now, it looks to be a good one

Enjoy it, nice route you got going there
  5. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Hey you never know, thanks for stopping

operose - I'll be sending you a pm
  6. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Friday night the weatherman said

" Sunny with a few scattered high clouds and highs in the 60's to low 70's"

Meteorology as we all know is not an exact science, apparently this is what sunny and a few scattered high clouds means

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But I did learn something I was never aware of

[​IMG]

Sunday I had some commitments, but I squeezed in some time for a fast run and it kind of made up for Saturday

[​IMG]
  7. SugMag60

SugMag60 casual observer

Oddometer:
    My photos don't compare to yours but here are a couple I took while in Saranac Lake this weekend. You were right, the colors were spectacular! I'm sure the frost on Thursday before I got there helped speed them along a bit. The drive home today down 28 was also beautiful. I haven't uploaded those pictures yet and they will be sketchy as I took them while driving :eek1

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks for the inspiration.
  8. MOJO

MOJO Adventurer

Oddometer:
    :beer Absolutely fantastic! My son went to school in Watertown and then Syracuse. There is some beautiful country up there. A ride in the Adirondacks is on my "to do" list. Thanks for sharing!
  9. Erik500

Erik500 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Absolutely stunning pictures. The sheer beauty of it is overwhelming. Thank you for sharing.
  10. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Thanks, definitely ride here, you'll be amazed

My Pleasure, Thanks for stopping by
  11. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    So, after the weatherman blew the forecast for Saturday he still maintained Sunday would be Glorius

I was half hoping he'd be wrong (again) as I had a commitment for the afternoon

The morning looked really promising

[​IMG]

So I made time for a short run, these are a few from Route 30

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hopefully the forecast for the next 3 days - sunny high in the 70's holds true, if so it's gonna be amazing color
  12. irvfr

irvfr Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It began changing colors up there. Should visit there before it is too late. Beautiful pictures.
  13. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    It was a spectacular color season once again and I was fortunate enough to be able to take a number of journeys to enjoy it

Here's a few pics from Fall 14

These are from Essex County Roads 20 & 22 on the way to Tahawus

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  14. StriderJim

StriderJim Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Very nice pictures. I'll be taking a trip through (mostly) northern PA later in the summer, and will re-run your thread looking for ideas. I stick mostly to paved roads, however, as my ride is---well---a little on the heavy side.

Thanks for the thread. Subscribed.
  15. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Enjoy your trip, if you get the time it's well worth going a bit further north to tour The Adirondacks
  16. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Winter is finally over and I thought I'd post up some of last falls rides before I forget

Although I had passed the turnoff and signs for Tahawus I never gave it a second thought until an inmate sent me a pm regarding a trip he was planning there

I first visited it 2013 and was amazed.

I did a little research on the history last fall and went back at the peak of the color season

[​IMG]

Tahawus (prounounced tuh-haws) was built in 1940 around a mining operation. It consisted of housing for approximately 180 families and 160 single men. Also constructed ere a school, fire department, movie theater, barber shop, a YMCA with a bowling alley and other assorted buildings all built by MacIntyre Development

In 1963 the company discovered the village itself sat on another rich site of titanium and iron ore, so in order to mine it they moved the village 12 miles to the logging town of Newcomb
    A sizable area of land formerly owned by The Finch Pruyn company was cleared in 1962 , utilities were installed and in 1963 MacIntyre Development began jacking up the buildings, loading them on trucks and driving them to Newcomb.
    By the end of 63 a total of 87 houses, two churches, a store and 5 apartment buildings had been moved. The YMCA however being a large concrete building couldn’t be moved so it was left there.

[​IMG]

Above is the entrance to where the town was, today it’s a stone crushing operation and is off limits to the public.
    Getting There: The easiest way is to take The Adirondack Northway ( I-87 ) to exit 29 (North Hudson) and head west on Blue Ridge Road for approximately 18 miles to a clearly marked right hand turn.
    Keep going straight till you come to the spot pictured above and enjoy the views along the way,

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

When heading back take the right hand turn ( Essex County Road 25) which is just over this bridge

[​IMG]

This leads to more spectacular scenery and another mining town called Adirondac which instead of being moved was abandoned, a few houses remain but are in ruins with the exception of The MacNaughton Cottage which is in the process being preserved by The Open Space Institute.
    It was here Teddy Roosevelt was vacationing when he found out President McKinley had been shot and he left to take over the presidency.
    There’s also some trail heads for hiking, this is where you can access Mt. Marcy, the highest peak in The Adirondacks
    Here you’ll find the old blast furnace

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More pics from CR 25

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is the old blast furnace where they burned lumber scrap fron the sawmill

[​IMG]
  17. Firenailer

Firenailer Still Ridin'

Oddometer:
    Welcome back Joe, I've missed seeing these pictures! :clap
  18. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Hey Bob, good to see you survived the winter, here's to a great riding season for 2015
  19. prometheus rising

Oddometer:
    Route 86 between Lake Placid and Wilmington

Late Summer on a foggy day

[​IMG]

Behind The Hungry Trout Restaurant

[​IMG]
  20. Dragonflylily

Dragonflylily One Women -Two wheels

Oddometer:
    The last photograph is simply beautiful!. Have you actually tried the trout?