Drz250 Thread

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by tdrrally, Jul 24, 2008.

1. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    TDRally, previously mentioned that he has successfully run a 46T rear sprocket with the OEM chain guard.
    I can confirm that the following combination works ok:
    - Front Sprocket: 12T
    - Rear Sprocket: 49T
    - Chain: 53 link

This combination works without any mods required. Can't wait to see how this combo works out on the trails, combined with the TM33 pumper carb and the full uncorking per the published procedures.
  2. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    The T63s are $136 at motorcycle superstore, then he'd have to wait for them and then find a shop here to fit them. Doesn't seem like much savings for the extra hassle.
  3. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Agreed on the tires, but for EVERYTHING ELSE you just can't beat the US, when you only pay domestic shipping.
  4. KLM 3

KLM 3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I tried that. They won't ship tires or oversized items to APO/FPO. I did order some other stuff successfully though.
  5. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i worked for ktm-parts.com for a year or so

they shipped tires ect to apo address
  6. KLM 3

KLM 3 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I may have to try them, or look at a few other sites. Motorcycle Superstore and Cycle Gear (10% discount for military) both would not ship tires.

Of course if I just pick them up locally then it is not an issue. The prices aren't too far out.
  7. JDUBinCO

JDUBinCO Dirt Connoisseur

Oddometer:
    I was referred here by Hudsen, I sold him some rims and he thought i ought to post some other stuff on here. Parts are from a low hour 2005 that was in pretty good shape - but no motor.
    What i have left:
    Front forks
    Triple clamps with steering stem and bearings
    Front fender (yellow)
    Battery box with cables attached
    Foot pegs, Kick stand, factory skid plate
    Swing arm, linkage, rear shock, rear axle
    Stock chain, chain guard, chain slider
    Black plastic mud guard for shock and rear fender liner
    Front and rear brakes complete, throttle tube and cables
    Head pipe and muffler without baffle
    Other little stuff

I don't have:
    Engine, oil cooler, carb, plastics except as noted above, wheels

PM me on here or email me at John.Williams1220(at)gmail(dot) com
  8. twinrider

twinrider Pass the catnip

Oddometer:
    Sending you a PM on the forks.
  9. ruffzguts

ruffzguts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have had a bit more progress in the tear-down over the last few days. I hope you dont mind me documenting my progress. This is the first time i have undertaken a project like this. I'm really excited about doing all this as it means i will REALLY know my bike, whats been done to it, and how it all goes together.

Progress was halted this afternoon when i realized I dont have a 32mm socket to remove the forks from the frame.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  10. JamesK

JamesK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Keep posting the pics, it cool to see the bike so naked :rofl
    Just wondering why you didn't do it in winter though.
  11. ruffzguts

ruffzguts Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have only Just purchased the bike, and it will soon be winter here in Australia:D

I want to get all this done before i start riding it, because once i start, i wont want to strip it down :rofl
  12. redleger

redleger Horrible Mechanic

Oddometer:
    OK, I know this is the DRZ forum, which I am quite fond of. I have come to love and appreciate this bike. However I think my riding style has just gotten too aggressive for it, and I am looking for some guidance from the wealth of knowledgeable people here.

I rode again today, and once again when in the "rhythm" area and the whoops area I had to slow down and roll them over. No this is not an MX track, just a ORV area for the Soldiers here where I am stationed. I appreciate the DRZ in the slower sandy area and the slow curvy technical areas, but in the wide open area, rough areas, and hard turns, I find its bottom end power lacking, and the front wheel just will not stay up, and seems like it just wants to sink unless I am constantly yanking on it, which wears me out. I do not feel like I should have to do that.

I came across a deal on an RMZ250 which is very cheap from another Soldier who switched to a quad, and wants to just sell his bike to another Soldier cheap.

I know it is not a woods bike, I know the suspension is stiffer and would possibly beat me up in the rocky rooted areas, and MX bikes are not known to do well at slow speeds.

I rode it, and I loved it. However I also researched the maintenance needs on it. Seems like alot of upkeep to me.

Would the upkeep needs be worth the what the RMZ has to offer me? I know I posted before I bought the bike when a CRFX was my other choice and I am thinking that I should have bought the CRFX but that ship has sailed. I guess I am just looking to see some pro's and con's for dropping the DRZ for the RMZ.
  13. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i would recommend a drz400 to you, more all around.

the best part of the drz250 is it takes more skill to ride it fast:D

some stiffer springs will go along way on the 250
  14. privateer2010

privateer2010 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I would agree with tdrrally, I have had two DRZ400s and they are great bikes. One was a supermoto and one a S model. It has always made me wonder why guys drop so much money into mods of smaller bikes when if you are that far beyond the bike's capabilities you don't just spend the money on a bigger bike to begin with. Ultimately what matters is what you are looking to do with the bike. I think the DR series of bikes can do everything well and nothing in particular really great. Plus if you still feel the need to mod the bike there are far more options for the 400 just check out Keintech Engineering at http://www.kientech.com/index.htm for instance. Hope that helps.
  15. tdrrally

tdrrally Long timer

Oddometer:
    i have both and no plans to sell either:D

the 250 is a bit easier to ride in the technical stuff
    has that 6th gear the drz400 folks dream of
    i still plan on a 300cc big bore with tm33 carb

what sort of mods do you have on drz250?

the yoshi does wonders as does the rm forks
  16. redleger

Oddometer:
    I have only uncorked it. The RMZ IS 1500. I feel like I could easily sink that much more into the drz with exhaust and suspension mods. I also still don't have that snappy response I got when I rode the RMZ. Touch the throttle and it can toss you back. DRZ I touch the throttle and it just kinda goes. If it would cost as much to mod the DRZ with forks carb suspension exhaust then wouldn't the rmz be smarter?

As for the drz400. I don't have that kind of money based on the prices I have seen around here. For that momey I could get a crf250x.
  17. hudsen8

hudsen8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    From my experience with riding MX type bikes in the woods you have to ride fast. I had a yamaha 450f for about two months then traded in back in to get the DRz400E they had used; reason being I just didn't like the way I had to ride through the woods at WOT here in GA just to get the suspension to work for me to soak up ruts and giant roots/rocks. Now on the track that was a different story, that bike would rip. I'm not trying to persuade you one way or the other, I just think that you will enjoy a trail bike more than a MX bike. Yea the MX bikes do have the pull your head off acceleration to them, but if you've never ridden one in the woods your in for a treat. If you plan on riding mostly track to woods like 80/20 I would say get a MX bike, but if its going to be more 20/80 I would look more at a trail bike. They also make 450 woods bike, maybe something to look at and save for. Also maintenance is a big issue. That 400e, before it got stolen, I feel like all I did was change the oil. On the the 450f I was constantly tinkering with it in the two months, so maintenance is a big thing to look at.
  18. hudsen8

hudsen8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Also wanted to ad, I found this online for the DRZ250

http://djebel-club.ru/_ld/0/32_How_to_Uncork_T.pdf

I think its what everyone is talking about but haven't seen a copy of it in the forums unless I missed it. Thought it was a good reading. Will take it down if need be.
  19. redleger

Oddometer:
    I''ve done that. :(

Is there any other way to get that kind of low end pull out of the drz?
  20. hudsen8

hudsen8 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My brother in law lived in Ft. Lewis too. He told me when he got up there he had to retune both of his bikes because the ran like poo. That could also be another thing going on is the elevation and climate. The guy that had the bike before you, where did he come from?