Installing a CPR air filter on my 990

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by moto-treks, Jul 3, 2012.

1. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    The CPR Rottweiler air filter had been sitting around on my workbench for too long and it seemed like I would never have time to put it on. Then, yesterday, my wife announced she was going to visit her mom over the 4th - free time :clap

A quick call to the tuner insured he could get me in and I started the install last night :thumb

Here is the stock configuration

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and what it's going to look like

[​IMG]

After a few hours I had the stock air box removed and the fuel injectors reinstalled.

[​IMG]
  2. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I had thought I would just leave the SAS plumbing installed for now but when removing the stock air box I found out the the pump is attached to it So.......

[​IMG]

It's gone now. For those of you removing the SAS, remove the rear cylinder plate first. Why? because the front cylinder plate is such a PIA to replace that if you try and do it first you will most likely decide it's not worth the effort :baldy I had to keep telling myself, the other plate is already removed - ya got to figure out how to get this one off :huh
  3. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Next it was time to setup the baseplate. The crankcase breather check valve and Temp Sensor need to be installed onto the Rottweiler baseplate.

[​IMG]

Once the baseplate is mounted on the bike I rerouted the crankcase breather cutting about 1.5 inches off before it would match up to the check value. Then I tied to connect the temp sensor wire.

[​IMG]

But it's not long enough. I've checked everywhere and there is no way for me to get the extra inch or two needed to connect the connector to the Temp Sensor
  4. EatinDirt

EatinDirt WannaB Thumpin

Oddometer:
    Your in way to deep now you can't stop and go back cuz I want those other filters....:1drink
  5. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Oh man don't I know it :eek1

I lengthened the wire for the Temp sensor about five inches and it fits great. Just hope adding the extra wire doesn't change the way the ECU reads the temperature.

[​IMG]

After I had the connector installed I check the clearance with the secondary throttle. It didn't touch but was a little too close for me so I rotated the Temp Sensor 180 degrees in the base plate and now there is plenty of space between the connector and the secondary throttle arm.

This is how I ended up installing the Temp Sensor in the base plate.

[​IMG]

Baseplate all ready to go - just need to add the filter :clap

[​IMG]
  6. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Here is the location of the front cylinders SAS plate. A real PIA to get at.

[​IMG]
  7. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    And here it is all oiled up and installed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And all buttoned up - lots of room in there but I will need to take the top cover off to clean the filter

[​IMG]

I didn't know if I needed to install a resistor in place of the SAS pump so for the first test I plugged the SAS pump in, hit the starter button and she fired right up :clap

Next was to plug in TuneECU and switch the SAS off. After that I removed the SAS pump and again, she fired right up with no FI errors :clap :clap

Finally, since I'm guessing I'll be getting more air :huh I loaded the map for a 2011 R Akrapovic slip-on, did the 15 minute idle reset and I was ready for a test ride.

All I can say is :thumb :clap :clap :clap:rilla :happay the bike ROCKS it has a lot more power over the whole RPM range.

Tomorrow I'm off for a custom tune :deal
  8. cjracer

cjracer AWD please!!

Oddometer:
    Wonderful Report. Thanks for posting. Very helpful. :freaky
  9. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    If I may, the breather tube could get kinked as it is hooked up onto the bottom plate and is too long. Rerouting or shortening is necessary in my experience.

Great pix
    Cheers!
  10. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    In addition to the increase in HP you also get to reduce the weight of your moto by removing all of this

[​IMG]

and replacing it with this

[​IMG]

for a total loss of 5 lbs :thumb
  11. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Good point - I had to cut mine 4 times before it was the right length

[​IMG]
  12. bikyto

bikyto Dans le doute...gaz!

Oddometer:
    :thumbup
  13. Helajames

Helajames Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I just got one for my 2010 990R, going to do the Sas removal at the same time, can you tell me where you found the KTM specific info on the tune ecu? Very interested in this too! Great info!

Jim
  14. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Here's the big thread on TuneECU for the 990. For the maps for the their TuenECU website
  15. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    Tune done and again WOW! I can't believe what a difference this filter makes. The 990 has all sorts of power from 3k to redline.

Some details.

My 990 is a 2010 Adv with a Remus Revolution TI 2 into 1 exhaust. I had been running the 2011 R map which helped the top end when compared to the standard ADV map. When I installed the CPR filter I knew I would be getting more air so I loaded the European 2011 R "Akropovic" map (KM601EU1180232Map.hex). These maps are known to put extra fuel into the system and on inspection in TuneECU, it did.

Nels, from 2 Wheel Dyno works, put the bike on the dyne and after a few runs said the fuel map was really very good for the setup. He decided to leave it as is and "smooth" out the ignition advance. After working on that he needed to add a bit more fuel based on ignition adjustments. Then he said, I got about 10 more HP with that change, take it for a test ride and let me know what you think.

Well, just putting the CPR on made a huge difference in power and the modifications Nels made to the map was another big boost :clap

I rode 280 miles to get to Nels and another 100 after so I had time to do a before/after seat-of-the-pants comparison and what a difference the new map makes. The 990 pulls so strong now it's simply amazing. Passing is effortless - just open the throttle.

Tomorrow I take the moto off-road so I'll see how that work - I'm betting I'll need a bit more throttle control :lol3

If you're installed the CPR on your 990, I would load the Akropovic map. I guessing that if you're not running a 2 into 1, then you will need to add fuel too. I'd also suggest you take the bike to a Dyno and get a custom Tune if for no other reason then to ensure that you are not hurting the motor.
  16. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    Do you have a dyno graph?.

And i also did noticed that the AKRA map isn't that bad in combo with the CPR filter.
    At my bike between 3500-5500rpm it is almost 1:1 only before and after that rpm are some changes.
  17. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    I do and will post it up once I stop long enough to make a copy. But, I'm off for another ride today :D

What pipes are you running?
  18. Spark01

Spark01 V-Twin

Oddometer:
    stock pipes with akra cans.

I know its addictive :lol3
  19. moto-treks

moto-treks Back Home

Oddometer:
    The Red line is with the stock AKRA map. The blue is after Nels finished going his magic.

Pretty good example of what a custom map can do :thumb

[​IMG]
  20. MAXVERT

MAXVERT O.G. on da O.C.

Oddometer:
    I like the increase in torque at 5 to 6 thousand rmp.

So you used Two Wheel Dyno Works as per the dyno sheet ?

Why did you decide not to build a heat shield baffle between the engine and the CPR base plate ?

It's a long haul to the Seattle area for me for tuning, anyone have a tuner closer to Southern Idaho ?

Max