Hannover to Istanbul (hopefully)

Discussion in 'Ride Reports - Epic Rides' started by Milli13, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi, each year for the past 22 years a few school/Uni friends and I have done a bike trip, usually 1-2 weeks. Over the years we have ridden in/accross the US, Australia, New Zealand, Brazil, Peru and most of Europe. This year's trip is our biggest adventure, a 3 week trip from Hannover to Istanbul via Austria, Slovenia, Croatia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Serbia, Kosovo, Macedonia, Albania and Greece, then back via Bulgaria, Romania, Hungary, Slovakia and Czech. My mates will join me, starting from the UK.:1drink

This year we plan to go back to basics and wild camp. Note we haven't camped for many years, you know how it is when you get older.

I bought a 1190 adventure last summer, have spent the last few months getting the bike ready, the usually offroad stuff.

I have also been to "Adventure days" in Sweden and "Bukkerittet" in Norway for a couple of test rides to get the bike on the gravel

The trip is planned to start on Friday 5th September. I have a SPOT tracker to keep the wife happy, but it can be followed here :
    http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0E13UZO5kqBIWDkBErGvq9QGLBKVWV6Yt

But, my bike would not start on Sunday, So after lots of playing with it, it went to to KTM on Tuesday, and today they have confirmed the compression has gone, and it needs a full top end rebuild!!, :eek1

Just reviewing the options, repair in time?, rental bike, borrow a mates bike?, I hope to work it out in the next few days

Attached Files:

2. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    KTM have stripped the bike, needs new pistons and cylinders, spares arrived today, should be rebuilt by Tuesday, so the trip on:clap

Attached Files:

3. moggi1964

moggi1964 Tiger Keeper

Oddometer:
    Adventure before "the adventure" begins. Can't miss this one :D
  4. RiderRick

RiderRick Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Subscribed, I'll ride along, stay safe, have fun!
  5. BalkanBiker

BalkanBiker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hope it all works out for you. Do let us know how KTM treats you, and where the problem is.
  6. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    The original plan was to ride around the Black Sea :1drinkbut then it all kicked off in Ukraine and Russia :eek1, so we looked at riding to Georgia and back :1drink, then Steve (one of the mates from UK) had to get back in 2 weeks:huh, and I only have a max of 3 weeks, so this is the current plan, it may still change....

Attached Files:

7. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Slight delay, bike wont be rebuilt until Thursday:cry, then I need to give it a few shake out runs, so wont set off time Saturday morning, plan to meet Steve and Phil in Munich:freaky

I thought my planning was tight, Steve has been working away from home for the last 3 months, he fly's home on Friday, then packs his bike and leaves home to start the trip at 2am to meet us in Munich Saturday evening:clap
  8. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My friends and I are all married, have children and work hard, but always make time to go for a trip each year. (Work Hard, Play Hard)

In my 28 years of working, I have spent 14 years living and working internationally (India, Indonesia and now Germany), but I always make time to join the bike trip.

Below is a list of trips we have done, when I look at this list it brings a huge smile to my face, as I can remember so many fun times and places I would never have seen without getting on a bike.

Cheers
    Milli

Attached Files:

9. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My KTM dealer just text'd to say my bike is ready:clap

"I love it when a plan comes together"
  10. dooby

dooby aka Frgich; www.lobagola-mototours.com Supporter

Oddometer:
    If you maybe do a detour to Zagreb, cold beer is always in the fridge :freaky

Keep us informed along the road, and take some pics please :D
  11. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hey Frgich,

I think you are a bit futher inland than we are heading, but thanks for the invite.:freaky

Cheers
    Milli
  12. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    So, got my bike back this morning with new pistons and cylinders, tonight I started to put the luggage rack and rotopax back on the bike, then the garage light failed, so I ended working with a head torch and spot lamp

Attached Files:

13. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Phil will be the first to start our trip, he will set off on Friday morning, heading from the UK and staying Friday night in Luxemburg

We will meet in Munich on Saturday night

Attached Files:

14. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bike is almost ready, :clap

Attached Files:

15. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    This should be a good un', it's a trip I've been longing to do.

Just one thing - Steve's route back along the Italian Adriactic - that road sucks, big time. The coast road itself is too built up to see anything, loads of slow moving traffic, tourists, junctions, one big holiday resort and you can't even see the sea (it's the exact opposite of the Croatian side). The Autostrada is nicer, has less traffic, a better view but it's slab. Personally, I'd either get the ferry from Igoumenitsa to Venice (if he wants to spend some time in Italy) or ride back the same way as you other guys, through Bulgaria, Romania and Hungary.
  16. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Catweasel,
    Thanks for the heads up on the italian coast road, we plan to get to igoumenitsa on day 11, and Steve only has 3 more days to get back home to the UK, I assume he will sit for 10 hours each day on the motorway, is there a motorway up throught bulgaria, romania?

Cheers
    Milli
  17. catweasel67

catweasel67 RD04

Oddometer:
    Ahh, time constraints eh? That's a bugger. If he's gotta slab it then he's probably going the right way but someone from the Balkans would give you a better answer. Maybe stick a quick post in the regional forums?
  18. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Nothing too exciting, 650 km of motorway down to Munich rained heavy for a few hours, nothing a good set of waterproofs cant handle, unfortunately i don't have a good set set of waterproofs so wet feet and bum, but a big smile as i am on the bike trip!!!!
    Steve an Phil where already in the hostel, so quick shower and out for a few.... German beers :freaky then bed
  19. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    sorry for the lack of updates, internet has been limited, so just a quik check in, trip going fine, bike ok:freaky

Day 2 munich to Slovenia bled lake, beautiful ride throught Austria grossglockner pass, and into slovenia,
    Day 3 slovenia to croatia, awesome ride just set the satnav to no highways, no tolls, miles and miles of flowing twisties
    Day 4 croatia to bosnia, ran all way down the west valleys, fanstic roads, sad to see the bullet ridden burned out villages, went to mostar to see the old town

Tomorrow dubrovnic

I will upload the photos after
  20. Milli13

Milli13 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Day 5 dubrovnik, nice ride over the mountains
    Day 6 Montenegro, excellent rider up the west side, tried to finf a camp, setting on a hippy cabin, great breakfast
    Day 7 Serbia, up through mountains into Zlatibor, and back throught the mountains
    Day 8 Kosovo. Very wet ride in, went to pec ktm center for new rear pads,

Pictures to follow