Super light trailer for hauling moto?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by munchmeister, Mar 10, 2006.

1. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    I know, I know.... sacrilege to tow a bike. Even more ridiculous to ask Advriders a question about it but...

Sometimes ya got limited time and you want to spend it riding the backcounty, not the slab getting there. So I'm just wondering if anyone out there knows of a super light weight motorcycle trailer. I've got an F650GS and I've got a Honda, so it would have to be a LIGHT :deal trailer. Really, really cheap would be good, too. (Want that money going for GAS, not trailers :wink:
  2. Freddiefudpucker

Freddiefudpucker Adventurer

Oddometer:
    There was a very recent Thread about the trailer from Harbor Freight.

I have one and it is just dandy. 8' by 4' and you can get a pertialy covered side rail system. Trailer base is under $300.

Go 4 it.

Fred
  3. Goldhelocks

Goldhelocks You had me at "2 wheels"

Oddometer:
    I can ditto the Harbor Freight route. perfect for one or two bikes.... three if they are traditional dirt bikes, not dual sport.

Here is a link for a viable option other than a trailer. I saw this on a Chrysler mini-van a few months ago and wrote down the website address off the manufacture's sticker on the rack. I thought that this was kind of neat! (By the way, the guy had a GS1200 on the rack!)

http://mototote.com/

Goldhelocks
  4. banshee

banshee hi

Oddometer:
  5. D'Artagnan

D'Artagnan Sharp and Pointy

Oddometer:
  6. OkeerfenokeeJoe

OkeerfenokeeJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I have a GREAT (all aluminum) towing trailer that is very light and stable. Made by Featherlite, my trailer tows well behind a vehicle, and I can move it around the yard by myself, with just one hand. Just add a pop-chock and some tie-down points and you're ready for bike-hauling. Excellent build quality and reasonably priced. In addition to hauling my BMW KGT (on occasion) to Atlanta for service, I have also used it to haul 60 bags of mulch, fertilizer, sheet rock, lumber, and an assortment of other building material. Best of all.....no rust. Yes, this trailer is very functional. See it here:

http://www.fthr.com/trailers/platform_template.cfm?cat=rec&StyleID=4&SyleName=Utility&platformID=1

Good Luck,

OkeefenokeeJoe
  7. OkeerfenokeeJoe

OkeerfenokeeJoe Adventurer

Oddometer:
  8. ErrinV

ErrinV D Boon!

Oddometer:

That looks like a great trailer. What's the cost of that trailer. Can't find prices anywhere.

Thanks
  9. t-dub

t-dub Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I just bought the a stand up (I have limited room) double Rocket Trailer to haul our street bikes to the track and dual sports to the mountain trails (keep those knobbies!). Here is the site (not cheap though, but quality trailer):

http://www.rocket-trailer.com
  10. motojosh

motojosh Mildly Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
  11. Bronco638

Bronco638 Nobody Home

Oddometer:
    I can verify this HF trailer is a great deal, too. It weighs less than 300 lbs., folds up and has casters so it can be moved. When folded, it's about 6' tall, 5' wide and less than 24" deep. I've trailered my DR350 to Colorado (from Chicago) and, except for seeing the headlight in the rearview mirror, never knew the trailer was back there. It would be a squeeze to get three bikes on it but two dual sports would be no problem. The weight rating is 1175 lbs. I've used it to haul drywall and lumber. Worth every penny of the $205 (shipped) I paid for it. And, since it comes KD (knocked down), you assemble it so you know it's done right. If you go this route, I suggest you buy a spare wheel/tire (~$40), too.
    Hope this helps - Dave.
  12. munchmeister

munchmeister Grow'd Up Mini Trail

Oddometer:
    That is just what I'm looking for. Fairly light weight, cheap and something to take to Home Depot, too. The aluminum trailer looks pretty sweet, too. Nice and light.
  13. waltert

waltert Poseur

Oddometer: