Am I an idiot? CL350 on the T.W.A.Trail

Discussion in 'Americas' started by 50short, Jun 4, 2013.

1. 50short

50short Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Just wondering what the public opinion is...
    I've ridden'em all. 3 KLR's, 3 XT's, 1 GS Adventure, Victory, Honda CB750, TW200, etc...
    I'm planning a trip up to the Very Boring Rally 3 in Duluth, MN. I've decided that it would be a great idea to try this trip on a $500 budget...bike and all. Today I found a bone-stock CL350 with 5,000 miles that runs and drives and fits the budget. I'll do some restoration work over the next few weeks and get it roadworthy and reliable. The plan is to jump on to the Trans Wisconsin Adventure Trail somewhere around central wisconsin camp my way up to the rally. Probably around 200 miles. My other option is a Honda Trail 90.

Here is my question:
    Is the Honda Scramber a reliable bike, capable of the journey? Is there enough space for gear? Is $500 a good deal for an original condition, running, titled, CL350? What extra parts should I bring? What tires should I fit to the bike before departure? Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks!!
  2. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    If the bike is in decent shape?...........check the fuel tank for any rust issues and the rest of the fuel system. They are easy enough to work on, if you have the parts.
    I've got two CT-90 's that are just collecting dust. I just don't want to work on them eveeytime I want to use them.
  3. High Country Herb

High Country Herb Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer:
    Really depends on the bike. Some of them had points ignitions, didn't they? You may want a spare set of ignition parts and the tools to adjust them. Otherwise, those old scramblers are pretty cool. Some old style all terrain tires like the Shinko SR241 would be cool.
  4. McJamie

McJamie STROMINATOR

Oddometer:
    When the bike was new, it would have been used for exactly that kind of trip, so why not now?
    I would.
  5. acejones

acejones Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would also pay special attention to the shocks and forks and probably check all the spokes for tightness.