Winter itch..

Discussion in 'Thumpers' started by aicram22, Jan 15, 2012.

1. aicram22

aicram22 Ride Everyday

Oddometer:
    I have an itch for a 2 stroke woods bike. I had a 2000 CRE250R for a while and I would like to replace it. I'm finding late 90's and early 00's 125's and 250's for really short money ($500-1000). I would really like to try a YZ125. I plan to race some NETRA events but, I also want to ride "stealth" in my local area where I need to pass behind some houses. Has anyone extend the silencer to muffle the noise? Any detrimental effects to the engine by plugging it up?
  2. Switchblade315

Switchblade315 I make people disappear

Oddometer:
    Stock KTM mufflers are quite when they are packed good. the lower half is packed and the last half is the spark arestor. there's not alot of power loss with them. maybe a little on the top.
  3. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Plus, with a 2 stroke, you can add a device called a db snorkel. Take an already quiet KTM 200 exc that tests in the mid 80's to under 80 db.

A KDX200 or KTM 200 with stock exhaust are 2 of the quietest offroad bikes you can buy.
  4. aicram22

aicram22 Ride Everyday

Oddometer:
    I see where db snorkel is no longer making the product. It seems like a good idea. I wonder what happened?
  5. barnyard

barnyard Verbal tactician Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    I would guess poor sales.

I sound check some events and I have found that most people will do the bare minimum that they have to do to pass sound. IF they already pass by a wide margin (KTM with hockey stick silencers do), then why bother.

Most 2Ts with a US Forest Service approved silencer pass sound at 90db (CR 500 is the exception, I think that there is almost as much sound coming out of the airbox as the silencer on those beasts.)

A well maintained 2T race bike is quieter than a well-maintained 4t race bike. Most will also agree that the noise a 4t make carries much farther. For stealth, it is very hard to beat a modern 2t.