Moto Guzzi Stelvio (merged) threadfest...

Discussion in 'Moto Bellissima: All Other Dualsports' started by young skywalker, Jan 8, 2006.

1. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    Leather saddlebags, tassles, bit of cardboard in the spokes to give it an engine sound...
    Seriously, why would you?
    The only thing I DON'T like about the Stelvio (and it seems I'm on my own here! :rofl) is that it leaves the factory in primer and needs a coat of colour and some clear on top. Preferably red.
  2. soldierguy

soldierguy Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Ok...I got a little freaked out when I read your post because my first thought was "hey I don't remember posting that!" You and I are possibly thinking along the same lines.

Here's what sticks in my head. Not that the Stelvio would be a copy of this, but this is just a color inspiration.

[​IMG]
  3. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    And to that I'd say "why wouldn't you change it?" :wink:

You don't like the color (flat black) and think it should be red. That's great! Change it and make it to your liking. Mine is coming in white, and think it might look better in something much more subdued. It's just paint...paint is easy to change.

Not all customization ends in leather saddlebags, tassles, butless chaps and fake boobs. :puke1 :lol3

EDIT: I tend to look at most vehicles as a blank canvas, but a canvas with some personality built in. A Super-Tenere or Versys would look ridiculous in grey paint with brown leather, but the Stelvio or an R1200GS would look great that way. To me, it's all about finding the personality of the bike, building on that personality, and doing so within the preferences and personality of the owner...the bike and the owner should have similar personalities. I'd look and feel ridiculous on a tassled and chromed Harley, but a buddy of mine is right at home with that. He'd look and feel ridiculous on any of my bikes too. That's why he rides Harleys and I ride other bikes. But in the end, it's all good...he has what he likes, and I have what I like.
  4. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    :wave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I trust mine.

Search here and at WildGuzzi.com/forum and you'll see a ride report, or two, from me... Haven't posted one here in awhile, so there will be more at WildGuzzi...

List of ADV ride reports

:ricky
    davyjones likes this.
  5. mentalfloss

mentalfloss Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Mike (rocker 59) takes his all over the place....ALL over!
    I have put 20 thousand miles on 2 different Guzzi's last year and I did not commute on one.
    I would not be afraid to ride mine anywhere and I am planning an alaskan trip with my stelvio.
    We can become prisoners of our personal limitations if we are not careful.
    :eek1
  6. flying_hun

flying_hun Moral Hazard

Oddometer:
    That is sigline material right there.
  7. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Another note on the paint. I had my grey and black F800GS repainted in almost the same colors as the European model. That would be my preferred color but I do like the look of the grey and black model coming to Canada. One thing I am definately sold on is the matt finish. We all know those gloss finishes and the work we do trying to keep them shining. But, the scratches are inevitable. And with all the banging thru the brush I do I gotta say the matt finish still has my F8 looking like a new paint job. I'm sold on it and sticking with it. Even if the bike came with a gloss I'd change it. An easy thing to do by the way, as it is only a topcoat.

And the color, flat black? Come on really? It's far from flat black.:*sip*
  8. Precis

Precis Maladroit malcontent

Oddometer:
    I agree in principle - but I like to live with the bike a bit first, let it become what it does best as we learn to live with each other. Take the original Guzzi Le Mans as an eg; well, I've had a few of them over the years - plus the replica 2s, 3s and a few others beside. Yet I still have the first one, the one I bought in 1977; it's evolved many times and it now has a polished alloy tank, spoked wheels - there's not much that's standard besides the frame (painted grey) and the block (oh, and as far as "Would I ride my Guzzi to..." - after one very high speed run through Zimbabwe in Africa, my luggage had bullet holes in it...).
    [​IMG]
    Yet my wife's Le Mans has seen a few differences too - and she's comfortable with it back to almost entirely stock.
    [​IMG]
    A blank canvas maybe, but not a static one.
  9. sfarson

sfarson On a Ride

Oddometer:
    Ahhh Mike... U.S. 64 through the Carson National Forest in autumn. That's a sweet pic on a sweet bike. :nod

[​IMG]
  10. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    Brazos Overlook is one of my favourite places in the country.

US-64 between Tres Piedras and Tierra Amarilla is a great moto road!

I make it a point to ride that section of road and stop at the pass any time I'm in that part of the country.

:thumb

[​IMG]
  11. quota

quota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    In keeping with the tradition of having an annual gathering for the Moto Guzzi enduro bikes in the U.S., the gathering will take place 18-20 May 2012, in Baker, Nevada.

Each May, for many years, there has been a gathering of Italian motorcycles in Baker. The organizers of the Grappa Gruppo Gathering have invited the Guzzi Enduro riders to join their event.

The host motel/restaurant/bar/campground is www.silverjackinn.com Terry, the owner is a enduro motorcyclist and has always proven to be a great host for the GGG. As always, this will be a fairly informal affair. Some riders may refer to it as a “ride to eat”. There are hundreds of miles of dirt roads to explore in the area. Great Basin National Park/Lehman Caves is located at Baker. Just an hour away is Ely, NV. On this same weekend, the Silver State Classic open road race will be based out of Ely. A fun chance to see some cars that will be running down closed sections of highway at 200 miles per hour. Www.sscc.us It also looks as if Baker will be a stop for the Alamo Express endurance motorcycle rally on 19 May.

The rooms at the Silver Jack Inn should be filling up quickly. There should be camp space. A back up motel would be the Whispering Elms, only about 300 meters away from the Silver Jack. Their contact is www.greatbasinmotel.com

Hope to see some of you there.
  12. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    STUNNING!!:clap
  13. MoToad

MoToad Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I love the way they adorn your parlour. I mean, who needs coffee table books when you've got those?:wink:
  14. Croak

Croak Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the little saucer of milk he puts out for them is sweet too. Or is the milk for the Lake Como elves?
  15. BravoBravo

BravoBravo Adventurer

Oddometer:
    You're not on your own. I love my '09 Stelvio. It's red, IMHO the best colour for this bike! :clap

Bruce
  16. WitchCityBallabio

WitchCityBallabio Guzzi weirdo

Oddometer:
    Yeah, but the 09 in black is completely invisible to ground radar. Totally stealth man.

:lol3:lol3:lol3
  17. alphaBETAdog

alphaBETAdog Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have an '09 in black, it looks good, but I would swap out plastics with anyone who would trade for red! :norton
  18. soldierguy

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the replies about the longer rides. This summer I'm planning about a week-ish on the Stelvio all over central and northern California, parts of the Sierras, and into Oregon. If things go reasonably well over the next several months, I'll be out again next Spring for a longer ride...maybe a month or more. At least that's what's cooking up in my head...
  19. Blakebird

Blakebird r - u - n - n - o - f - t

Oddometer:
    I'm a northern California native, and once my NTX gets here I'm headed to the coast for a week or two, and to ramble around my old stomping grounds.
    If you've not been there, I can certainly make some route suggestions - there's a lot of excellent riding. I know the Sierras and southern Cascades like the back of my hand.
  20. quota

quota Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    George, from the Yahoo Quota group, rode his Guzzi from the US and down into South America. There was also a couple that rode 2-up from the US to South America and back on their Quota. One of the big moto mags had on article a few years ago about their trip.

Uros, from Slovenia, rode his Quota for a year through Africa and South America. He did about 40,000 miles on that jaunt. He has also had his Guzzi through Turkey, India, Pakistan, and India.