2013 Honda CBR500R and CB500F

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by cabanza, Sep 13, 2012.

1. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
  2. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    New twin cylinder engine... Twice as fun as the CBR250?
  3. cogitate

cogitate What Marcellus Wallace Looks Like

Oddometer:
    Wow, is Honda finally back in the game? Let's see, the CBR250, NCX700, CRF250L, now these?

Very cool.
  4. Tiago

Tiago Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hmmm, from a first look, the wheels, brakes and front fender resemble those on the new NC700X/S.
    I'm not at all against parts bin bikes if they are good :)
  5. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    The headers look too close together for a twin, I'm thinking they are still single cylinder engines, just with seperate pipe for each exhaust valve. (ala FT500 Ascot's and SRX 600's etc. in days gone by)
  6. kpmsprtd

kpmsprtd Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    It is indeed great to see what Honda is doing of late. It's as though the Sleeping Giant has awoken, and he is not happy. He intends to take back the market share that is his birth right. Add to your list, and bring to the U.S., please, the following:

• VFR1200X Crosstourer
    • CB1100
    • VFR800X Crossrunner
  7. techyiam

techyiam Adventurer

Oddometer:
    "Redline" on the CBR250.NET forum started the CBR500 rumour.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/other-honda-motorcycles/4152-2013-cbr500.html

Not to say that it isn't going to be a twin for sure, but in a later post in the same thread he stated that it will be a twin.

http://www.cbr250.net/forum/76018-post52.html

8. Anteraan

Anteraan Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'd be all over this bike (the CBR version). Give me 45-50 hp, a decently flat torque curve, even a modestly good suspension, and some fairing, and I'll have a fantastic street bike. Price it around $6K with ABS, and this is something I would trade my '09 Ninja 250 for immediately. What about the new Ninja 300, you say? Well, it is a modest upgrade (FI is the best reason), and it looks really good in white, but I can't see trading my 250 for it - not enough of an upgrade to pull the trigger.

This would be.
  9. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Fascinating! Thanks for that little scoop :D :D

'tho since I didn't really care for the 250R that I test rode, but absolutely loooove my 125R, now I'm hesitant as to whether a twin or single would be my preference.

If it was a 270* crank with a gear driven counter balancer/s then I would be all over a twin. 180 or 360, blech, I've kinda had my fill of those. If it was a single with gear driven counter balancer that worked as well as my 125R, I'd be all over that too :lol3

Would not want any chain driven balancers, personally I just hate those.

I would really hope for screw and locknut valve adjustment. I don't care if shims last way longer, I don't like dealing with them, despite Honda's claimed ease of doing the 250R's without disturbing the camshaft.

I pretty much would bet in advance, that they over styled the rear ends on these things, and f*cked up any hope of storage carrying capacity under the seat. What a crying shame. (and utterly stupid. They are not RR bikes) The pre-2011 125R has room for a ton of stuff, (I presume the new 125R) and 250R, maybe a wallet...

Apologies if this info is dealt with in your links, I haven't had a chance to peruse them more thoroughly. But I will! :deal
  10. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    New article from the French motorcycle press at moto station. Here is the link:
    http://www.moto-station.com/article...br-500-et-cb-500-arriveront-au-printemps.html
    The article contains a new pic of the CBR 500. Honda held its annual press conference on September 21 in which it was confrimed that it will produce a CBR 500 and a CB 500. Both bikes will be produced in Japan and at least one of them (probably the CBR) will be sold in the US.
    I hope both bikes are sold in the US...
  11. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Here is the link to the transcript and video of the above mentioned conference:
    http://world.honda.com/news/2012/c120921CEO-Speech/index.html

Here is what they say about motorcycles:

[ Motorcycle business ]

By leveraging the advantages of being the world’s top motorcycle manufacturer, Honda will provide joys, fun and convenience to more customers. In FY2017 (fiscal year ending March 31, 2017), Honda will strive to achieve worldwide motorcycle sales of more than 25 million units.
    The motorcycle business is the origin of Honda, and its history tracks back to the production and sales of auxiliary bicycle engines when the main means of transportation in people’s daily lives was a bicycle. In 1949, Honda introduced its first mass-production motorcycle product, the Dream D-type. From there, Honda has been continuously introducing a number of useful products including the Super Cub Series, which became the global best seller. Meanwhile, Honda had a global viewpoint from a very early stage and took on challenges for technological innovations. Participation in the Isle of Man TT Race since 1959 was one such challenge. Honda has experienced various difficulties in the past including the Asian currency crisis, hyperinflation and the rise in manufacturers of counterfeit products. However, even in the midst of such difficult times, Honda sustained its business with tenacity taking necessary actions such as strengthening local operations and global sourcing. As a result, Honda grew to become a motorcycle brand loved by customers around the world, producing a wide range of products in 29 production plants in 21 countries around the world and delivering the joys to more than 15 million customers annually. The know-how and established brand name earned through the early globalization of motorcycle business are contributing largely to Honda’s global operations of power products and automobile businesses.
    Using further growth in emerging markets, where continuous expansion is expected, as a driving force, Honda will continue to be proactive in evolving its motorcycle business. In India, Honda will strive to further grow its motorcycle business through introduction of highly-competitive models in the 100cc segment, which is the largest segment in the motorcycle market in India, and through the start of production at the third plant in India which is scheduled to be operational in the first half of 2013. In Indonesia and Vietnam, Honda will lead the market by offering an attractive product lineup including scooter models, which have been extremely popular in these markets. In China and Thailand, Honda will continue evolving strong business in each market, while continuing the growth of the operation as the base for the global supply of parts and finished motorcycle products for other regions. In Brazil, where Honda has been growing its business along with the growth of the marketplace since the start of production in 1976, Honda will strengthen sales of medium and large-sized motorcycle models in addition to maintaining strong sales of key products such as the CG125 and CG150. Honda will continue leveraging its global production and sourcing capabilities, further advance its brand and technological strengths and create more joys by offering a broader product lineup to our customers.
    Honda will begin entering into new growth markets in Africa and South America. Further advancing Honda’s approach to local production – “start small, grow big” -- Honda will put down its roots in small markets in an early stage of their growth and provide local customers with strategic models which take advantage of Honda’s global resources.
    In the area of large-sized motorcycles, following the New Mid Series, Honda will introduce a series of large-sized models with a new concept, which enable customers to more easily enjoy daily commuting and weekend touring. This stylish new series will be equipped with a “torqueful” engine, low seat height which increases the ease of handling, and a comfortable ride with high stability in maneuvering. The production of the first model in this new series will begin in February 2013 at Kumamoto Factory, Honda’s global motorcycle production operation, and sales will begin from North America.
    With the best and brightest gathered from Europe, South America, the U.S. and Japan, together as one “works” team, Honda is getting ready for participation in the Dakar Rally in January 2013, for the first time in 24 years. The prototype machine, which is being developed based on the CRF450X, has been demonstrating high fighting performance on rough road surfaces such as the desert and rocky hills in various tests on engine performance, endurance and long-distance riding. In October 2012, this machine will be put in actual racing in the Morocco Rally to further refine its fighting capability. Honda will strive to win in the Dakar Rally from the first year of returning to the Rally.
    Since its market introduction in 1987, the RC30(VFR750R) super sports bike has been loved by a large number of fans. With a goal to create a new history, passionate Honda engineers have gotten together and have begun development of a new super sports bike to which new technologies from MotoGP machines will be applied.
  12. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    :ear

13. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  14. joec63

joec63 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, seen it after I posted. Always the case
  15. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    Motorcycledaily reports that Honda will be sponsoring next year's European cup with a brand new 500cc twin, aptly called the CBR500. The article also mentions that Honda will most likely import the bike to the US after its introduction at the Milan show next month.
    Here is the link to the article:
    http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012...sport-bike-rumored-to-be-500cc-parallel-twin/
    I so can't wait for that bike...
  16. scooterspirit

scooterspirit DaddyGeneralSir

Oddometer:
    Exclusive to HFL, here’s a run down of the CBR500’s specs:
    - 470cc liquid-cooled, parallel-twin
    - Six-speed manual
    - 46.9bhp
    - 30lb/ft of torque
    - 401lbs (dry)/430lbs (wet)
    - 105mph top speed
    - 31-inch seat height
    - 120/70-17 (front)/160-60-17 (rear)
    Those figures come from a trusted contact inside Honda Europe. While we can’t reveal their identity or the reasons why we’re so sure they’re correct, we stand behind their veracity.
    That power figure may seem oddly precise, but it’s spot on for Europe’s new A2 license tier, which will allow 19-year olds to ride bikes with up to 35kw of power. Or 46.9 of your good old-fashioned horses.
    It’s also close to double the power of the CBR250 without doubling the weight. Where that bike makes .073bhp per wet pound, the CBR500 makes .109. That puts it into the middle of a performance gap in the market. Kawasaki’s Ninja 650 weighs 460lbs (wet) and makes 71bhp, giving it a power-to-weight ratio of .154, while the new Ninja 300 makes 39bhp and weighs 379lbs, giving it .103 horses to pounds.
    With that 470cc twin, the CBR500 also makes decent torque. Where the Ninja 300 sits at 20lb/ft, the CBR250 makes 17lb/ft and the Ninja 650 47, the CBR500 is again in a class of its own at 30lb/ft.
    So why not just buy that Ninja 650 or other, similar, bikes? Hopefully that’s going to be about money. Where the Honda CBR250 is just $4,200, the Ninja 650 is $7,599. If the CBR500 can split the difference, Honda could be onto a winner. The spy photos of the bike were snapped at the same factory in Thailand in which Honda produces the CBR250, suggesting an affordable price. A modular approach, which sees the CBR an CB500 sharing pretty much every component but fairing and handlebars, also points towards affordability.
    Of course, targeting European learners, Southeast Asian and South American riders and broke Americans means that Honda is chasing one other metric for the CBR500: fuel-economy. The single-cylinder CBR250 returns 77mpg, but the new, parallel-twin NC700x manages 64mpg thanks to a variety of new technologies drawn from Honda’s auto division. Our source wasn’t able to provide a fuel economy figure, but did say the new motor should draw on that technology too. The Ninja 650 returns 50mpg and the outgoing Ninja 250 61mpg.
    But the big news? In Honda’s internal system, the codes “AC” and “CM” are listed next to the model’s name. “AC” = America (California/50 State) and CM means “Canada.” Expect the CBR500 to arrive in both early next year.

http://hellforleathermagazine.com/2012/10/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know-about-the-honda-cbr500/
  17. TonyKZ1

TonyKZ1 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I hope it makes it here and does very well. It looks interesting and would make an excellent replacement for the Ninja 500 and GS500's of years gone by. It or the NC700x may very well be my next bike.
    Tony
  18. mrbreeze

mrbreeze I keep blowing down the road

Oddometer:
    Gosh, I hope they make it look like a Harley Davidson.

And a drum rear brake would be the cat's meow.

:hide
  19. cabanza

cabanza Smooth is Fast

Oddometer:
    That's a great article and it can't be coincidence that 2 American websites would start giving more tidbits about the bike. So I'm going to say it's coming. Now what color choices are we going to get... The white in the pictures looks nice... :evil
  20. DiabloADV

DiabloADV Semi-Occasional

Oddometer:
    Hmmm...interesting. If they can keep the overall form factor within the CBR250 parameters (excepting weight, of course), it could be interesting.

Although I must say...I start thinking about wanting a bigger bike during boring moments at work or in the evenings. I read reviews of larger Ninjas and VFRs and FJRs...

Then I go ride my CBR250R and forget all that. The bike is so light and nimble and kick-ass fun to ride, I can hardly stand it. Sure, a few more HP would be nice but I don't know if I want the extra weight/length/girth.

I will definitely go check out the 500 though. The Ninja 300 wouldn't be worth the cost of upgrade, but the 500 might be.