Hammock Tents - Super linky - got one? tell us about it and post pics here!!

Discussion in 'Camping Toys' started by HighTechCoonass, Oct 22, 2010.

1. cdn_wolf

cdn_wolf Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Spent sunday night in Devon campground just south of Edmonton, Ab. Had gusts up to 70 kmph and the Explorer and tarp handled everything just fine. Hardly a sway with the breeze. I slept like a baby. I set it up half in the dark in 10 minutes while consuming Canadian Beer. pulled it down and packed everything up in 30 minutes. Best night's sleep I had camping ever. Talking 100 plus night over the years. Bivies and tents. Hammock forum is a real boon to anyone wanting to learn more.
    [​IMG]
  2. tgeliot

tgeliot Topher

Oddometer:
    I finally pulled the trigger to get a Jacks R Better Bear Mountain Bridge hammock, only to realize they're out of stock until late June. Oh well. I'll wait.

"Bridge" hammocks are designed sort of like suspension bridges, with fabric panels along the sides that mimic the curvature of the cables that support a bridge, allowing the bottom of the hammock (the "bridge deck") to lie flat.

I'm toying with the idea of attaching some grommets or something along the bottom and top of the side panels at the head end and using lacing to pull it up, in the hopes that maybe I can get a tilt that will allow me to breathe despite my sleep apnea, and leave the CPAP at home. We'll see.
  3. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Get a Eureka Chrysalis bridge hammock, the head end is raised quite a bit, don't even need a pillow and has 42" spreader bars so no shoulder squeezing.

The JRB is totally flat and very narrow if you're a big guy.

I sleep fine without my CPAP.
  4. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    A little bump since I recommended this thread to a fellow at the Eastern Rendezvous.

Also, any of the rest of you using the Tarp Flyz made by Dutch over at HammockForums? These little things make hanging a tarp soooo simple.:nod :clap
    [​IMG]

Chris
  5. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought a pair of those after seeing them on HF but haven't used them yet. Hoping I can use them before I lose them--those things are tiny....

Dutch makes some seriously trick stuff.
  6. dino2000

dino2000 No Bad Daze

Oddometer:
    Posting a full ENO setup in the Flea Market under other......
  7. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chris,

I'm thinking about picking up some to use for securing both the ridgeline of the tarp and the tie outs. Do you see any reason it wouldn't work for the tie outs? That would save me lots of room by not having to carry all of the figure 9's.
  8. hppyfngy

hppyfngy not dead yet

Oddometer:
    How are Dutch's tarp flyz better than 9's? They're kind of expensive for something I'll lose...

I've been using cheap plastic 9's from MSR. Work for me...
  9. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    Anything that i can do to reduce bulk would be of help to me.
  10. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Lee,
    They should work great for the tieouts. I don't see any reason that they wouldn't. I've thought about doing that, too. They are a tad bit more fussy to slide along a line than Figure 9s, but I'd just station them close to the tarp, lock 'em down, and call it good.:nod

Chris
  11. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    I thought that they'd be easy to lose, too, but since they kinda live on the line --- and don't move freely on it -- they seem pretty secure.:dunno

I have two sets. One set is on those lines in my picture above. The other set is split between being stored on a 50' piece of ZingIt (or LashIt -- whichever one is yeller :D ) and a piece of cord around my neck. (It makes a pretty cool necklace. :D ) I'd pretty much have to lose the pieces of string to lose the Tarp Flyz.

I'm currently using Figure 9s on my tieouts, BTW.

Chris
  12. christian

christian Long timer

Oddometer:
    in case somebody is looking for one, I listed one new hammock/tent in the flea market, brand new, got as a gift but I am more a tent guy.
  13. Land

Land Wanderer

Oddometer:
    Anybody else been hangin' lately?

I hung my WBBB Friday Night on Michigan's Upper Peninsula.
    [​IMG]
    :D
    Chris
  14. VFR

VFR Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think the regulars are hanging--but over in hammockforum....
  15. RAGBrian

RAGBrian jonesing for a ride

Oddometer:
    I haven't been hanging - work takes me on the road and the company is paying for the hotel. But I will be taking a family vay-k next month and will bring my Chrysallis to play with it at my buddy's house. He & his wife have a house on Lake Erie. Just need to find a pair of trees at the right distance and we'll do some test hangs.
  16. 4ad

4ad ochlacrat

Oddometer:
    I just took delivery of my wbbb (1.1 double) and I love it!...after just one backyard setup I can't understand why people buy tents...so much more comfy, cooler in the summer, easy to set up, and packable than a tent. I'm in!:clap:clap:clap
  17. 650GSguy

650GSguy Adventurer

Oddometer:
    What is the minimum separation of trees for a hammock? Is there much difference between brands?

Is it practical to have a hammock for two or better to have separate hammocks?
  18. dlh62c

dlh62c Long timer

Oddometer:
  19. Dan Alexander

Dan Alexander still alive and well

Oddometer:
    Welcome to the dark side of camping ... good luck, there's lots to learn and it's addicting :D
  20. leeinmemphis

leeinmemphis Long timer

Oddometer:
    we went camping last weekend(not on the bike) and carried both of my boys out for the weekend. My boys are in LOVE with the hammocks.

I was given a WB Traveler for Fathers Day. I may put it up in the back yard this weekend and take a nap. :)