Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2014, 10:27 AM   #46
originalspacerob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
That is a great looking Ural. I like the look of the blacked out wheels. The aux light placement is nice also. I usually see 2 on sidecar not one on bike and sidecar.
originalspacerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 PM   #47
originalspacerob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

New To Me 2001 Ural Patrol

Spent some time the last 2 days finishing working on the ural. I went thru and lubed all the wheel bearings. Adjusted brakes, added a usb/cig lighter port to bike a hack. I also Herculined inside of the sidecar as well as used some plastidip to to protect the paint under the sidecar winshield.

One thing that has been driving me nuts is tuning the rig. Carbs are synched, new plugs and wires, timing set and it never started good. Had to run it on enrichers for a long time. It also seemed to run hot. I read a lot on them being lean. i didnt have the 130 main and 45 pilot so i drilled the stock ones out. In the carbs there was a 118 main and 38 pilot.
Once drilled out and reinstalled the bike fired up easily with enrichers on. In about 30 seconds it was ready to turn them off and the bike idled nicely. No more shuttering, farting and all sorts of stuff. I have the needle 2 turns out and took it for a ride. The off idle response was so smooth and it pulls a lot harder right to mid to upper mid range. Didn't try wide open, don't really want to do that just yet. What a difference. i wonder if the lean conidition, super rough running which makes it hard to not lug might been part of the issues that damage the crank. If you can't transition easily off idle and it stumbles you can't help but lug the engine.
I haven't been riding it much due to the starting and running problem as well as wanted to go through a bunch of stuff before i get too far from home. Lots of info on soviet steed and here. So great to have all the awesome posts and information when your working on something new.
I do have a question that i had a hard time finding. I have the fine splines on my driveshaft and was wondering if they do strip out, can you replace the whole shaft to the new larger splines? Or does the whole final drive need to get replaced as well. From what i gathered it looks like if you replace the yoke, shaft and part into final drive it should work. Any info would be great.
My splines look brand new right now and all freshly greased, just trying to gather info.

originalspacerob screwed with this post 10-18-2014 at 08:29 PM
Old 10-19-2014, 08:34 AM   #48
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 559
Yes the fine splines wear and strip and that's why Ural went to the larger splines. You can put the larger ones in by just replacing the drive shaft and yoke. I have a 1999 Patrol just like yours. As for your lean condition be sure to check the Carb fittings between carb and head. The rubber tends to crack and have air leaks. Spray some WD40 on them while running and if the engine speed change you have a leak.
Attached Images

'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 06:49 AM   #49
jeveretts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 476
I'll add to that, don't forget to get a new speedometer gear with the new yoke. Or you will have trouble fitting it all together. BTDT
jeveretts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 11:41 AM   #50
originalspacerob OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Thanks for the information on the driveshaft. Just preparing myself for if and when it happens.
Looks like I still need to do a little more tuning on the carbs. I have checked the boots and they are fine. They were actually new when I got the bike. The originals were dried out from what the dealer told me, very pliable.
My idle jet seems to be fine but opening up my main jet to a 145 instead of 118 was too rich. When I got on the highway to try it once I got above 40mph it would cut out. On the 118 it actually worked fine but seemed to run hot. Now that I know I need to fine tune some stuff I orered a few jets from JetsrUS so I can play with the range. They should be here Thursday. Will be nice to get the full range running right. At least my low end pulls smoother and stronger Than it did.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:23 PM   #51
JerryH
Vintage Rider

Oddometer: 4,826
Beautiful rig. I just love those old school bikes. Carbs, front drum, and really cool front suspension. When I am no longer able to ride on two wheels I will own one of these.
1980 Puch moped
JerryH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 01:31 PM   #52
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,214
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryH View Post
When I am no longer able to ride on two wheels I will own one of these.
Why wait. Im picking up a hack on Thursday.
Old 10-21-2014, 01:50 PM   #53
norton(kel)
vintage

Oddometer: 969
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwik View Post
Why wait. Im picking up a hack on Thursday.
Details----We Need DETAILS
norton(kel) is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 02:34 PM   #54
Qwik
Adrenaline Addict

Oddometer: 6,214
If all goes well, I'm picking up Snowflake from Ivan Rider. Towing it to Southern Oregon and dropping it off with Catneck. Then Picking up a New (to Me) 96 Suzuki Bandit 600 with a CJ Chair on a Ural Frame and bringing it back to Sunnyvale Ca.

:Fingerscrossed