Lightweight, lower bikes that handle for women?

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by rancox, Feb 3, 2012.

1. rancox

rancox Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi all:

My lovely wife has been an avid rider for approximately 12 years. She is 5ft 4 in. and started out on a Honda Magna. After scraping the pegs off of the Magna, we determined she was ready for a sportier ride that also offers the ability to tour.

We purchased a new 2002 BMW R1150R. She can ride it very well but has now suffered some health issues and the weight is a problem. We have been looking at alternatives - which are pretty limited. We thought that the new Wee Strom might be the ticket - too tall by 3-4 inches. It appears that a 29 30.5 inch seat height is the max that works. The best options right now are the BMW F800R and the Triumph Street Triple R (I have a Speed Triple).

Again , I would like a bike that can be ridden on the freeway for trips at 80mph and then ridden well on the twisty roads. We live in the NC foothills and spend alot of time in the mountains. We plan to make more trips this year also - starting with Daytona.

Other bike suggestions and mods are welcome - keep in mind that it would be a definite plus if the bike could be also be used by her husband :wink: :clap
  2. Robert OK

Robert OK Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    My wife is 5' 4" and she loves the mag wheeled Bonneville. It's not as light as a Street Triple, but the weight is distributed low so it's easy to move around. The Street Triple's seat is higher. We were thinking about getting a lowered Street Triple, but have heard that's not such a great idea.

Another one would be a low suspension BMW F800ST or a Ducati Monster 696.

Harley Sportsters are mostly low, weight ain't great, but like the Bonneville the low center of gravity makes them easy to handle.
  3. Blue&Yellow

Blue&Yellow but orange inside...

Oddometer:
    Get the street triple!

One of the most fun bike ever made IMHO.

Or if she wants to be sensible the new honda nc700 is veeery sensible.

Or.... can't she ride you speed triple for a while...
  4. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    Ninja 650?
  5. 0ldhippie

0ldhippie Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    There isn't a better bike out there for her than your Street R. Give it to her and shop for YOUR new bike. :evil
  6. Dave.0

Dave.0 on the spectrum

Oddometer:
    Aprilia shiver

Although can't go wrong with a street triple
  7. Ride1st

Ride1st Work Later

Oddometer:
    Hard to go wrong with the street triple. At 5'4" the street triple is still going to be a little tall for her. The good news it that it weighs a lot less than the R1150R so she might be more comfortable not being able to flat foot the bike. A lowering link is available to lower the rear ride height. The R version rear spring will most likely need to be changed as well, as it is really setup for a 180+ pound rider. If you are looking at doing some longer rides the stock seat really needs to be switched to a Sargent. The seat height is advertised as lower with the sargent seat but the reality is it is wider so it end up being about the same reach to the ground. The tank range is typically 130-140 miles so it's not great on longer trips. FWIW, my wife traded a 2007 GSXR750R on a 2012 street triple R and is a faster and more comfortable rider on the triumph.
  8. Am.E

Am.E Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I'm in the same boat. 5'4", 30" inseam. I want a lightweight, somewhat sporty bike, that I can tour on. I have a Kawi 650R. The ergos are fantastic (larger people say its cramped, but its all-day perfect for me). I bought it new in 2006, and its been about the perfect bike for me. (Twisties, highway, touring 4000 miles+ in one trip loaded with camping gear, etc.)

However, I'm on the lookout for an upgrade. Most bikes are too tall and too heavy for my taste, or the ergos don't work.

I'd love a Ducati Monster, but the reach to the bars is too sporting. Its nice and narrow and low enough, but I lean too far to be comfortable for very long. (I don't need to sit bolt upright, but the monsters require a lot more lean than I was hoping for). Same with the triumph speed triple. Both would be fun, but not for touring.

On the radar: BMW F800ST - Its about the same weight as the 650, has more power, should have better suspension/handling characteristics, and ABS, all things I'm looking for. Ergos should be good, but I haven't tested one out yet.

What I REALLY want is a KTM 990 SMT. Its lighter than the 650 and F800ST, much more powerful (way too much, really, but I can't help it), definitely does not have entry level suspension components, and 2011 and later models have ABS. Its probably too tall.

I'm curious to see other suggestions.
  9. Jim K.

Jim K. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Suzuki GSX 650 F fits the bill in all respects. Only prob. is that they are not in the Zooki lineup here in the US. NOS still available, but you have to look. Canada has 'em for 2012 w. ABS.
  10. tbirdsp

tbirdsp REMF

Oddometer:
    Another vote for the Bonneville or Bonneville SE with 17" cast wheels.:clap
  11. theshnizzle

theshnizzle Long timer

Oddometer:
    Chiming in....I am female...5'4...about 125lbs. I am on my 3rd Hayabusa right now, all have been lowered as I have a 29 inch inseam,it's considerable weight is nice and low and I tour on it fully loaded with 3 hard bags, 2...41 litres and a 55 topbox.I have Genmar risers on and the feel now is very VFR like.

It's an absolute smashing sport touring bike. But.....due to my quickly advancing arthritis, I wanted something more upright but light-ish..( isn't EVERYTHING light compared to a busa?) but with a small feel to it. Enter.....Honda CBF1000.
    It has an adjustable windscreen, adjustable seat, 3 positions and adjustable bars.

Lots of low end grunt,has a de-tuned Fireblade engine,Honda reliability and enough power and adjustability so you both can ride it with just a turn of an Allen key. ABS too. I bought mine with a 3 piece matching white OEM luggage set and it can take semi-knobbies.

When you sit on it,the 1000 feels just like the 600 sizewise. The clutch and brake have a very light easy pull on them and lots of power for hwy passing 2 up fully loaded. Mine is a very pretty white.

I imported my busa from the states and it was super easy, I can't imagine it would be difficult bringing one in from Canada,since Honda didn't release it in the US.

I DID look at the Ninja 650 R,nice but...meh....NOT a Duc with all of it's very high maitenece costs and sketchy reliability, not even a decent windscreen on the thing and Triple was to far forward.

My 2 cents....
  12. carockwell

carockwell Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The older Multistrada 695 was a nice bike for smaller riders. All the Monsters seem pretty good, my female riding associate prefers them. The R1200R can be set up with short seat and suspension and should fit nicely.
  13. AlecMyrddyn

AlecMyrddyn Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Kawasaki Ninja 1000 or Z1000 might be good options to sit on and see if they work out. Despite the Ninja name and sporty looks, it's for a pretty upright riding position. Due to the bar design, changing bars is not cheap, however. Good hunting! -Alec
  14. KingOfFleece

KingOfFleece SplitWeight(tm) waterproof seat covers

Oddometer:
    My wife at 5' 5" started n the mag wheel Bonnie and went to the Street 3. She can ride it 400 miles a day....so there you go. Works a treat. Ended up hacking the Bonnie.

KoF
    www.kingoffleece.com
  15. PowerT

PowerT Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    If the SMT works for you except for the seat height I would not rule out lowering the front/rear suspension a couple of inches. It has been done to the Super Enduro by a few. Oh and a lowering the seat is always an option.

Just a thought.
  16. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    My wife has a 2009 696 Monster. She is 5' 2" and 26-1/2" inseam. I lowered the bike about 2" with lighter shock spring and raising the forks about 3/4". Low seat option. She also had local shoe/boot shop put 1" soles on her touring boots.

Bike is light and has good power. Handlebars were a stretch, so put risers on with aftermarket bars. Givi screen and hand guards. She loves it.

[​IMG]
  17. ADVBMR

ADVBMR Polygamotorcyclist

Oddometer:
    Why not the F650GS? Seems like it would do all you want it to do. And you have the choice of a low suspension and different height seats.
  18. llamapacker

llamapacker Mr. Conservative

Oddometer:
    That is the last bike my wife had. TOO heavy, can not lower it, ABS does not work if you go to a low profile rear tire when lowering. Also at over 500 lbs, not light. The 696 is less than 400 lbs. They both get about the same mileage however, but the Duc handles much better, especially when in a parking lot.
  19. RaY YreKa

RaY YreKa AA Zoom Baby

Oddometer:
    I've just realised that 'handle for women' is a teeny bit sexist?

Surely if a bike handles, it just handles..
  20. Detroit Steve

Detroit Steve Homely Adventurer

Oddometer:
    My 5'4" short legged wife fits comfortabley and confidently on her 2008 Moto Guzzi Nevada.