8mm film to DVD question / not 2 wheel

Discussion in 'The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...' started by Gale B.T., Nov 20, 2014.

1. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I need suggestions /help /what ever. I have some old, yes , very old:lol3 Geek was not even born yet, 8mm film that I wish to load on DVD.

I have a speed controlled projector , I have a telecine box and a screen but, BUT , I do not have a digital camcorder.

I need to borrow/rent/ beg/ what ever a digital camcorder that uses a memory card to transfer the movies to computer/DVD.

If you have any experience on this hit me with a PM or phone # and I will give you a call to eduacate me more on this challenge.

Yes, I have looked into the professionals , even at 15 cents a foot , too expensive if I can do as others have , ie DIY .

Thanks ahead of time
    gale
  2. FamilyRider

FamilyRider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I did my own conversion with a screen and projector. The results were terrible. There was a lot of brightness rolloff around the edges and it flickered like crazy.

So I later paid the big bucks to have it done professionally. It turned out much better because they had all the right equipment.

Some of my old footage that my dad took had historical value, so I donated it to the local university library in exchange for a digital copy. Win-win.
  3. HellSickle

HellSickle Scone Rider

Oddometer:
    I just converted a bunch of family 8mm to video. We used Costco. There are a lot of places online that can perform this service. It wasn't terribly expensive. Having the right equipment makes all the difference. Unless you really enjoy doing this, I would suggest outsourcing.
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    DVD is obsolete old man! You want to put it on youtube.

:rofl

Miss you Gale :freaky
  5. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    I don't have the GUTS !!!!!! LOLOLOL :lol3
    Thanks anyhow to all , I may end up outsourcing but I guess I gotta try to DIY just to see what happens, you know what I mean!!!
  6. wbunt

wbunt Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    We tried DIY lots of how tos on the web but they turned out terrible . Took them to Sheri's in monument she did a great job .
  7. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    So about how much per hour? I've got about 20 hours to transfer. :ear
  8. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:

Rick , I have only found "by the foot" and the lowest if I remember correctly was from Salt Lake for 11 cents per foot. I have not contacted Sheri in Monument as suggested by wbunt.

I did see an advertisement in the Denver area for 0.19 per foot. I have only maybe 400 ft at the most.

I just wanted to transfer to DVD to send something for my kids/grand kids to be able to keep, that being the DVD thought.

gale if this does work , you are welcome to use what ever I got when I am finished:)))
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    just8mm.com charges:

3 inch reels (50 feet )
    $8.29

5 inch reels (200 feet)
    $30.00
    6 inch reels (300 feet)
    $42.00
    7 inch reels (400 feet)
    $52.00
  10. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    I have a DV tape camera you are welcome to borrow ay time. Not how to get it from DV tape to DVD I don't know. :lol3

Marc
  11. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks Marc, I have a 2 hour work out on my xc skies at Wolf Creek, I will contact you after lunch to work out the details. This may be lots of fun or:::::: ::huh

thanks again, gale
  12. Tha Rick

Tha Rick Shake and bake! Supporter

Oddometer:
    A bit sideways. Does anyone convert high8 camcorder tape to DVD as well? Also thanks for the answers.

Thanks,
    Rick
  13. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I think I might start a business converting youtube to 8mm... just for Gale :D
  14. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
    You are too kind, I have trouble just finding my own post on ADV, or posting a few pics and speaking of youtube, many of my friends tell me they watch the DAKAR race on youtube and the coverage is as good as the folks in Europe get , than meaning full coverage.

I can , on a good moment, find maybe 3 seconds of Nedro finishing or riding the dunes or filling out his road book, but that is about my limit to youtube.:lol3

You are kidding us ole folks , youtube to 8mm is going backwards, right???

I have Marc and a PM for a loaner camcorder so I may just go OMAHA < OMAHA and see what I can accomplish:D

Wish I were closer to you I would do your drive and you could do these 8mm LOLOLO

gale
  15. Lomax

Lomax Nanu-Nanu Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
  16. Gale B.T.

Gale B.T. Long timer

Oddometer:
  17. The Walrus

The Walrus Gone and back again.

Oddometer:

Gale, boots on the ground....I'm available to facilitate anything local here...just send me a PM