Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-16-2014, 11:53 AM   #1996
Witold
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 661
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddfellow View Post
You need to take the plastic off and drill the holes out to a diameter that lets the spacers "pass through" them.
If the hole in plastic is big enough for spacer to pass through, the spacer won't do anything...

In the 2nd video, it shows that if I put the spacer in and the bolt in, there is still almost 1 inch of play remaining. That's basically as far as these bolts screw in... Should I be trying to force it in further? I don't want to puncture anything underneath.
Witold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 12:02 PM   #1997
webbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Look here: http://690enduror.blogspot.fi/2014/0...n-ktm-690.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 10-16-2014, 01:52 PM   #1998
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Just in case you're interested....

I always liked the idea of the Wolfman "Hoops" bags, and was curious as to whether I could run them with the saddle bags. Turns out the answer is yes.

While the picture doesn't show it, there is room between the exhaust and the Hoop bag. Not much, but room. As cool as the Wings run, I'm not worried about it. I'll let you know after this weekend if I should have been lol!
sdd04 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:00 PM   #1999
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
I always liked the idea of the Wolfman "Hoops" bags, and was curious as to whether I could run them with the saddle bags. Turns out the answer is yes.
While the picture doesn't show it, there is room between the exhaust and the Hoop bag. Not much, but room. As cool as the Wings run, I'm not worried about it. I'll let you know after this weekend if I should have been lol!
how do yo like the rear tire? I have one waiting on the shelf.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #2000
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
how do yo like the rear tire? I have one waiting on the shelf.

Compared to all the 21's I wore out:
It will last longer.
It is noisier.
I like it better in the dirt. Really haven't seen much mud with it.
The bike is much more interested in turning.

The last point, while I find it helpful on the dirt, it also produces more head shake at highway speeds around other vehicles.

I too have another one sitting here to put on.
Old 10-16-2014, 03:50 PM   #2001
Wansfel
50 yrs on 2 wheels

Oddometer: 1,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdd04 View Post
Compared to all the 21's I wore out:
It will last longer.
It is noisier.
I like it better in the dirt. Really haven't seen much mud with it.
The bike is much more interested in turning.

The last point, while I find it helpful on the dirt, it also produces more head shake at highway speeds around other vehicles.

I too have another one sitting here to put on.
I'm using up a 606 left here by a friend with about 10% tread left until I swap to the Tractionator. The original M21 rear was shot when I bought the bike at 1,600 miles, so I'm not expecting exceptional wear on the rear for any tire, but glad to hear input. Headshake, do you have a steering dampener? I can start to induce headshake when up above 60-65 also.
Wansfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2014, 07:43 PM   #2002
Rsquared
Echo

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post
If the hole in plastic is big enough for spacer to pass through, the spacer won't do anything...

In the 2nd video, it shows that if I put the spacer in and the bolt in, there is still almost 1 inch of play remaining. That's basically as far as these bolts screw in... Should I be trying to force it in further? I don't want to puncture anything underneath.
Listen to Oddfellow.

The spacer holds the rack off of the gas tank, the fender floats between the two...

Old 10-17-2014, 05:14 AM   #2003
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witold View Post

Webbiker's link is good-follow those instructions. If as you show in the 2nd video, that bolt is bottomed out, then that is not the correct bolt. The rack should bolt up solid without the fender, as has already been pointed out, the fender hole should be larger than the spacer. Perhaps they sent you 2 sets of bolts so that you were covered for hardware in case you were mounting, or already had side racks. With side racks, you need longer bolts as they use the same holes for mounting.

Be very careful about bottoming out the bolt in your fuel tank. Numerous posts in advrider about inserts spinning in the fuel tank. Fixable, but a pain in the...

Quote:
Originally Posted by webbiker View Post
Look here: http://690enduror.blogspot.fi/2014/0...n-ktm-690.html

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wansfel View Post
Headshake, do you have a steering dampener? I can start to induce headshake when up above 60-65 also.
Yes. The headshake is more significant with the Motoz. On my list of things to do is check sag. Haven't done it in a while. As the importer told me though, this is a dirt tire that they got dot'd.
Old 10-17-2014, 06:00 AM   #2004
J. T. Kirk
Kirk

Oddometer: 9
shad saddle bag

Has anyone Mounted these saddle bags

http://www.shad.es/it/shad-usa/prodo.../sw42/c71r120/

on the KTM' side rack?

They are sold as 100% waterproof and it seem that they have a very good value for money ratio. However, I am not sure that they can be strongly fixed to the side rack
J. T. Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2014, 06:07 AM   #2005
dirty_sanchez
Dirty_Sanchez

Oddometer: 2,774
I know this is a luggage thread, but a few of ya'll have recently mentioned head shake, so I thought I'd jump in with my two bits on the subject.

The final component to solve the headshake on my '12 is complete, it was a slow arduous process though. Here's the steps I took:

Slight bit more rear sag than the manual calls for.
Increase the wheelbase as much as possible with a longer chain when the stocker wore out.
Lowered the front forks so that the top cap sits perfectly flush with the top of the upper triple and torqued the pinch bolts properly.
Flipped the steering stem 180 degrees. Tightened the top nut properly.
Installed an OEM SMC front fender.
The headshake kept getting less and less with each improvement.

Now that I've installed a Scott's dampener, front end nervousness is finally gone pecan and she's stable pulling more than a ton.

Maybe installing a Scott's from the beginning would have sorted it from the get go-not real sure, but she's steady as she goes now.

Dirty
Old 10-17-2014, 06:15 AM   #2006
sdd04
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty_sanchez View Post
I know this is a luggage thread, but a few of ya'll have recently mentioned head shake, so I thought I'd jump in with my two bits on the subject.

The final component to solve the headshake on my '12 is complete, it was a slow arduous process though. Here's the steps I took:

Slight bit more rear sag than the manual calls for.
Increase the wheelbase as much as possible with a longer chain when the stocker wore out.
Lowered the front forks so that the top cap sits perfectly flush with the top of the upper triple and torqued the pinch bolts properly.
Flipped the steering stem 180 degrees. Tightened the top nut properly.
Installed an OEM SMC front fender.
The headshake kept getting less and less with each improvement.

Now that I've installed a Scott's dampener, front end nervousness is finally gone pecan and she's stable pulling more than a ton.

Maybe installing a Scott's from the beginning would have sorted it from the get go-not real sure, but she's steady as she goes now.

Dirty
Thanks Dirty-probably pm you this winter when I'm doing maintenance.
Old 10-17-2014, 08:26 AM   #2007
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by slidefighter View Post
Put this WTB in the "Flea Market" today. Any help would be appreciated:
"The Wolfman "hoop" side pannier racks made by Backroads Moto for Wolfman saddlebags are no longer offered. If you have a set for the KTM 690 and are in a position to let them go to a good home, PM me with price and condition. Planning a long trip and looking for a solid setup.
Thanks,
Lee...
Lee,
I've got the Berg hoops on my 950SE and they are quality kit. For my 690 I gave up and just went with the TT racks over other options because of the trussed lower arm. They are quite sturdy, although the finish is not holding up, and have survived many naps without mishap. The Expedition bags fit quite nicely, too.
Old 10-19-2014, 04:02 AM   #2008
Jholmes105
GORIDE

Oddometer: 56
KTM 690 SMR Racks

I have a 2007 690 SMR and am looking to put a set of Racks on the bike. It seems to me that everything is very similar from the SMR tot he Enduro R as far as mounting points (Rear grab handles, and down near foot pegs) but, before I pull the trigger on a set, looking at TT Racks right now, what do you guys think? Will they fit?

Pic of Bike -

Anybody in Central Ohio area have a 690 with Rack on it that I could look at before buying a set? I think the biggest problem will be the odd offset on one side for the exhaust on the Enduro R as opposed to my SMR with twin exhaust?

Thanks for any advice?

JP

Jholmes105 screwed with this post 10-19-2014 at 04:46 AM
Jholmes105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:25 PM   #2009
verboten
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 226
learned a lot from this thread. I have an extra set of Tourtech luggage racks and a top rack for sale. Good deal for the budget minded 690 owner :)

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1017859
verboten is offline   Reply With Quote