1190 Adventure vs 1290 Super Duke

Discussion in 'Hard. Core. (1090/1190/1290)' started by GeoAggie, Jun 7, 2014.

1. GeoAggie

GeoAggie Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    All,

I am really lusting after one of the new KTM twins listed above. But, I ride in very hot and humid conditions for much of the year and have grown impatient with excessive engine heat (ST1300 stays in garage during the hot spells unfortunately in favor of GS's). I'm an experienced rider and not talking about heat pouring out at stops. I mean constant heat on your lower body at speed. So . . . . . any difference in heat feel on these two incredible machines? I would think the SD would be marginally cooler at speed but would value actual rider feedback. Thanks,

Jeff
  2. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    My 1290 doesn't really heat up at all, and this includes +105 degrees in Imperial Valley.

My 675 on the other hand, "Chestnuts roasting on an open fire :lol3 "

I can't compare to the Adventure the only time I ever rode one it was like 41* at best.
  3. GeoAggie

Oddometer:
    Appreciate the feedback. Any other comments on comparing the riding experiences of these two bikes would be welcome as well!

Jeff
  4. Harold Waikiki

Harold Waikiki oldfatdumbbrokeoutofshape

Oddometer:
    I own 1190r. Don't really feel the heat. In fact I have ergo seat and turn on seat heat below 60. Most of the time here. Rode the 1190 to dealer this morning and rode a new 1290 that I have a deposit on for 15 miles. Noticed no seat heat at all.
    HW.
  5. GeoAggie

Oddometer:
    Very interesting. From your short ride on the 1290 SD, how do these two compare in general to you? Thanks,

Jeff
  6. Harold Waikiki

Oddometer:
    I thought I would love the 1290 but I just kinda liked it. Not going to buy it. To sport bikey and crotch rockety feeling to me. Didn't really feel that much faster to me. Or torqueier. Of course I stayed below 7000 rpm. Most of the time. Much rather ride my 1190r. The 1290 was stock though and I've done 50!! or so mods, farkles etc on the 1190. It's almost set up just right for me. Also did not like the ergos. Feels like it needs risers. Loved how narrow the seat was And the fact I could flat foot it. I was leaning too far forward. I felt like I was going to go tumbling over the bars. I gotta stick with dirt and adv bikes. I also had a multistrada for a while. Rode it 7500 miles. Never felt as good to me as my SE, 990, or 1190 felt right outta the chute.
    Course that's just me. Old. Fat. Dumb. Broke. Out of shape. What do I know??
    HW.
    Madman42 likes this.
  7. Harold Waikiki

Oddometer:
    Pls see last post.
  8. Tripped1

Tripped1 Smoove, Smoove like velvet.

Oddometer:
    I moved my bar forward (there are two positions on the clamp, it comes set close) and rolled the bar up to get a bit more reach. For me there is such a thing as too straight up and down, I want a little lean in because that is how I deal with the wind. So far as that goes I could use a bar with a bit less rise to it.

The 1290 fit me just about perfect. It will be perfect once I get some proper rigid pegs and GP-shift.
  9. Rikki Rockett

Rikki Rockett MOTORCYCLE EVANGELIST

Oddometer:
    You have a lot of bikes. Me too!

10. alshaffer

alshaffer Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Harold! I'm looking to sell my Moto Guzzi Cali 1400 (too cruiser for me) and switch back to KTM, but I'm completely on-the-fence over whether to go back to an Adventure (used to ride a 990Adv), or go to the SD1290. Obviously these are very different bikes, and I still need to get to the dealer for demo rides, but I appreciate reading your feedback.
  11. Harold Waikiki

Oddometer:
    You bet. I do wanna 1290 adv now. Maybe 2016. Good luck!

Sent from my Flip Phone using Smackadoodle.
  12. Mikezilla

Mikezilla Big in Japan

Oddometer:
    I can't wait for the 1390 Super Duper Adventure, I hear it's gonna have Auto Pilot and Leg Air Conditioning. :D
  13. Mugatu

Mugatu Sidewalk adventurer

Oddometer:
    :lol3:lol3:lol3
  14. KTMSMITH

KTMSMITH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have them both. The 1290 puts out considerably less heat. It is very noticeable when riding back to back.
  15. bigkuri

bigkuri Long timer

Oddometer:

:rofl:rofl:clap

I love the 1290 SD, and was lusting after one. Didn't buy it simply as it was a bit of hassle to use it for long tours (multi-week) and the insurance for me was outrageous - over triple the insurance cost of the 1190AdvR.

Now I've owned/ridden the 1190r for a while I recently again had a brief go on the 1290SD and was pretty underwhelmed. All that power I felt on my initial test ride was now just "meh" - there is not a massive amount in it between the bikes, I now think just mainly the feel of it from the riding position.

I'd still love the 1290 SD, but would be a hoon & trackday bike. And for that I can get cheaper thrills elsewhere (GSXR or even a RC8).

16. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    FWIW, last year on the same day (low-mid 80s) I took out an 1190A and SD1290 I found the 1190 pretty much unrideable because of the heat coming out from the left side of the bike after just a few minutes. No issues with the SD. Other than the heat, the 1190 was spectacular. I've been following this issue since, and it seems it's still a significant issue.

Disappointed me, as I sold a very well set-up 990 Dakar in anticipation of getting the 1190. Still does.

Prior to the 990, I had an '04 950S; as well as a 950 SM and 950SE (both of which I still have)- so it's not like I am unfamiliar with the heat characteristics of the big KTMs. The heat from these bikes have never really bothered me except in real slow going on hot days.

YMMV, so give it a try and see if it works for you.

As an aside- last month I took out a 1290SA in pretty much similar weather and didn't notice a heat issue. But the bike didn't appeal to me as much as the 1190 otherwise.
  17. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:
    I'm surprised with folks stating the SDR not having much more umph than the 1190 or not noticing a significant difference... my SDR will absolutely annihilate my 1190 and the difference is unmistakably much much faster.... Like holy crap faster. Even with both bikes sporting a 16t front. Yes, the 1190 pulls awesome, but the SDR if ridden similarly aggressive is ridiculous. At least for me.
  18. wpbarlow

wpbarlow Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    Me too. I focused on the radiated heat as the biggest issue for me; but have to agree with this performance assessment. The SD is in a different category from a performance perspective (both actual and perceived): almost makes the 1190 seem kind of effete in a direct performance comparison. I think in isolation the 1190 is pretty awesome itself; but, as they say, the SD takes it to 11.
  19. PS-RagE

PS-RagE Long timer

Oddometer:
    Pretty sure they are all comparing the SA and not the SD

20. oldfuddy

oldfuddy Long timer

Oddometer:

Looks like HW as referring to SA... That makes more sense now....