The F5 Bivouac (rallye raid news) and W2RC - World cross country rally championship

Discussion in 'Racing' started by PackMule, Dec 23, 2009.

1. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    Thanks for the update on your thoughts and insight Doyle. So the wait continues it seems (and it looks like Jenny will have to find another buyer for the WR!) :D
  2. doyle

doyle RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer:
    Take my commentary with a grain of salt. I hear some stuff that remains confidential but I am by no means an insider.
  3. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    That's very modest but I think for many on here you are THE go to source for the latest news and gossip about all things rally. Keep up the good work!:clap
  4. too old

too old Keen supporter Supporter

Oddometer:
    Cyril is a great rider, but the best?

Don't forget it wasn't that long ago when he won his 5th Dakar that it was resultant from some dubious tactics and the key fact that Faria had to let him win, otherwise Monsieur Despres would have been on the second step at best. :evil

Not only this he has also had the best team over the years and as much as you look at things and as supported by Coma, also in many other sports, it is the total package that wins races - team, bike and rider.:clap

On the other issue, HRC have just appointed a new GM, could they really cope with another Ze Boss?
    Not only that, they must be reasonably comfortable with their current 2 European riders; they need a couple from South America where there biggest market is, so just where would that position CDP - a third pairing for HRC with a partner? - you certainly don't win the Dakar by having the largest number of riders in the team :lol3
  5. doyle

Oddometer:
    I'm comfortable with my "best" sentiment, but I think you hit the nail on the head. It's team, bike, and rider as a package that win races which is why I don't see Cyril stepping back to a Yamaha effort short of them going to a full factory, run from the top initiative.

Of the current crop of riders, circumstances aside, there is no denying Despres' record but more importantly, his consistency. Let's face it, the good results of Pain and Casteu were more of a surprise rather than the result of superior development and support. The Yamaha can be fast on a stage to stage basis, but for one reason or another, something happens which drops Casteu way down or bumps Pain just out of the running. I feel the same about Helder. He's always right there, but for whatever reason, there seems to be something missing from his overall package that leaves him just shy of contention. I don't know if it's luck, lack of training, whatever, but in each rally, there is either a crucial mechanical error or navigational error that Despres doesn't seem to run into.

Even Coma is not immune. If a top team wants results, consistency, and a smart tactician, they can't do much better than Despres. I think a 5 rider team is certainly doable for HRC. Three top riders in Sam, Helder, and Cyril with 2 water carriers that hang back in preparation to help any of the top three. Different than the dedicated rider/water carrier pairing strategy at KTM, but in those three, you get speed and consistency to rival any riders among any other team.

Lastly, I don't think we can overlook Despres' following in South America. Sure he's European, but he's one of the few to remain dedicated to the South American races, Dos Sertoes, the Dakar Series, etc. Didn't he even learn Spanish to be better able to communicate in SA. He's a smart racer and is keen to accommodate those who butter his bread. If I were a team manager, (and I like to think I am pretty fair and impartial) I know that Cyril would be right near the top of my list if I were shopping for a top line rider.
  6. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I would have thought that Cyril is the one rider that any team looking for success would be mad not to sign should the opportunity arise. I know there are the arguments that he has been lucky to win Dakar on occasions but you make your own luck to a great extent and his consistency and speed (when required) are there for all to see. When you talk about winning packages he is the winning rider package with the right back up. There may be more likable riders out there but I don't think there are currently any more capable (I suspect Coma is roughly as capable).
  7. doyle

Oddometer:
    I agree. Among the hardcore enthusiasts, he doesn't have the greatest reputation, but I am not convinced it is completely earned. By most accounts, he's a really nice guy to deal with but like any top line racer, I suspect, he's crazy competitive. Not many multi-time champions in any discipline have been touted as the best to deal with. You are right though, I think any team would be crazy not to want Despres.
  8. too old

Oddometer:
    Time will tell and probably not too much more now before all the speculating is over :clap:clap

I suppose just about all the bases have been covered, with the only certainty is that it's not KTM :lol3
  9. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    That's understandable, and if it's true the rally team is on a short leash they may be limited in their ability to commit to Despres.

But then, it's Honda, not Jin Cheng. If they can't make the new bike stand out soon it will hurt their image regardless.
  10. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    In a way the actions of Honda over the last six months support this. It wouldn't be too much of a stretch of the imagination to wonder if they've been employing Sam, JC, Helder etc to beta test for them (albeit with a view to continuing to employ them on a future more successful evolution of the rally bike). Could it be that the mysterious new bike and Cyril's signature on the dotted line will be announced simultaneously later this summer? History shows that CDP is a winner, once the new bike is a proven winner it'd be "safe" to put Cyril on it.
  11. Dread Pendragon

Dread Pendragon Tragic Donkey Throttler

Oddometer:
    And if, at some point, Cyril is riding for Honda, which other rider will be his water carrier? (I suppose all of the other Honda riders would be water carriers for Despres at some level.)
  12. too old

Oddometer:
    I recall that KTM have changed the water carrier strategy and made it obsolete, probably to do with the reliability of the bikes? - but things can still fail and tyres can shread etc. so it will be intereting to see how this is managed in the event.

Not sure if HRC are following suit, but you are probably right about Cyril, whoever he is riding for? :D
  13. doyle

Oddometer:
    It would be a shame if Cyril were left without a decent ride having left KTM, presumably, for HRC. He's polarizing among some fans, but he brings a level of professionalism and talent to the race that I think rally would suffer, if only a little bit from his absence. But then again, I am more fan than hater. :lol3
  14. Jurassic

Jurassic Long timer

Oddometer:
    I was a neutral until "mudgate" (which I found difficult to accept as sporting behaviour) but Despres redeemed himself in my eyes this year. He definitely adds to the spectacle of rallying and I'd be really disappointed if he didn't secure a competitive ride. I want to see a clash of the titans encounter between Coma on the new KTM and Cyril on an improved Honda for Dakar 2014.
  15. tHEtREV

tHEtREV Encouragement award recipient. tEAM iDIOT.

Oddometer:
    I was thinking about Cyril's situation yesterday and was wondering about the possibility of him starting his own team using a KTM?
  16. Bluebull2007

Bluebull2007 Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Put yourself in his shoes...You have a yr old kid, fanily life is becoming more important and your job is high stakes and high risk. What are your chances of winning again, this time on another bike? Would you risk it? What happens if you don't win the next Dakar (for whatever reason...) - will you be written off?

Or do you bow out while the going is good and maybe move into a buggy with Al Attiyah or something else? You still have your name, you are no longer expected to be the lead dog...the pressure is off and you can learn a new vehicle.

I'm not saying he will NOT go over to Honda, but its almost the middle of the year and there is no sign of Despres.....

I think if he is not with Honda, he may be into something else altogether.
  17. StepOnIt

StepOnIt Assitoner

Oddometer:
    I was thinking if all else fails to start up his own team, prob has the money for it and the sponsors? Petter Solberg did it in the WRC for two years, so how hard can it be for one race :evil.
  18. wrk2surf

wrk2surf on the gas or brakes

Oddometer:
    THE exact center of California/Bass lake/Yosemite
    Hes lookin at pipes.. maybe he has a deal like Knighter

[​IMG]
  19. rmhrc628

rmhrc628 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Or off the shoulder track suit tops?

He screams 'I bat for the other side' in some of his pics
  20. doyle

Oddometer:
    It's possible but it takes a very big competitor to resist the lure of remaining on top. Not many have the right mindset to hang it up at the very pinnacle of a career. A change in family life could be that driver.

I would be disappointed to see Despres move to buggies. To see him move from the quintessential factory team to a half baked privateer buggy would just be wrong in my opinion. The way I see it, there is almost no competition in the car segment. A few identity challenged mini's racing each other and Robby chasing from a completely separate class. Quite frankly, at this past Dakar, I paid almost no attention to the cars at all. Without another big team jumping in, I don't see much attraction to make the move unless Peterhansel moves on to trucks and leaves an open spot at the top for Despres.

No matter what happens, I don't think we'll ever see Despres back on a KTM. I think that bridge is nothing but smoldering embers at this point.