PnP LED Upgrade for your KTM or Husky

Discussion in 'Vendors' started by sanjoh, Aug 27, 2012.

1. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Model 60 will provide the most distance and very bright.
  2. tunp

tunp Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
    Just installed on a husky 610 w/ the model 60 light. What an improvement:clap
  3. shootis

shootis Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks for a great product, I just hooked up my model 60 light to my TE610 and what a difference!

Now I can actually see more than 20 feet ahead, the stock headlight is scary at anything faster than a walking pace.

I haven't gone for a ride but shining it down the driveway I'm surprised that I didn't catch anything on fire:-)
  4. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Anyone have a pic of the 08-12 KTM kit installed in mask and mounted to bike?

Either I am as dumb as my wife thinks I am or this kit was not test fitted to this bike. The plate bolted up to the mask like in the pic. But I had to hack off the bottom arrow/design at 6 o'clock on the kit's mounting plate and still had to cut the plate across the bottom before I could get the mask to drop back onto the fender pins.

It was then that I noticed that the mask lays back about 30 degrees, parallel with the fork legs when mounted. A check of the OEM headlight assembly and I saw that while the front of the assembly also mounts flush/parallel with the front of the mask, the internal reflector/bulb mount is canted about 30 degrees forward, to bring beam back parallel with ground. of course

After much hacking on the plate and time spent R&Ring the assembly between cutting I could see that the top of the plate (and the lighthead) would have to stick out past the front of the mask before I got the beam anywhere near level. I had to end up moving the bottom bracket (that attaches to the oem height adjuster tab on bottom/back of mask) from the back of the plate to the FRONT of the plate, which kicked the bottom of the plate back about an inch. Install looks like crap with gaps all around the hacked up plate and bracket sticking out in front, but I got the beam off my garage ceiling.

I'm guessing the kit was designed with a mask on a bench and not test fitted on a bike. But I could be wrong and just inept.
  5. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    :nod

Send me your mask and the kit and I'll install it for you. Or I can offer a refund for the uncut bits.
  6. StuInFH

StuInFH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks, but the cost to ship my bike would be a bit much. (kit fit mask just like in pic, no problem there)

I'll hold out for a simple pic of the mask installed on an 08-12 bike showing the light beam level and then I'll know what I did wrong.
  7. hiawassee

hiawassee Fair play t'ya!

Oddometer:
    Hey Sanjo, is there an (updated) application list available for all the bikes a model 60 will fit? How about the '07 WR450? I'll check on whether it's ac or dc later (unless it no longer matters). And if it will work with the WR, does it need a rectifier and/or stator upgrade/mod/rewind?

Thanks!
  8. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    THE question is AC or DC headlight. If you have AC, it easy enough to run a DC circuit to the battery(IIRC the WR is estart).

No stator upgrade needed as the stock light usually pulls more juice.
  9. hiawassee

Oddometer:

Looks like it's AC. I assume instructions come with the light for running a DC circuit? Thought I read that earlier in the thread somewhere.
  10. hiawassee

Oddometer:
    Hey Hondo, nice work on that light mount. I really like the way you set that up in the stock mask. The foam insulation is a nice touch. Is that a necessity? Maybe to provide better protection from the elements? Better shock/impact resistance? Or more of personal preference simply for the sake of thoroughness?

After watching the video of the Model 60 on the advmonster.com page (gnarly ride at Angry River), I'm impressed. Can't tell if that setup has any additional support for the light like the foam you're using, but seems to hold up well in the rough stuff.
  11. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Could someone tell me where to get the clamp style mount brkt like the one used in this photo? Any help would be appreciated.

12. Stifdickerson2006

Stifdickerson2006 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    oops meant this photo. Is this something you sell at adv monster.
    [​IMG][/QUOTE]
  13. hiawassee

Oddometer:
    [/QUOTE]

I think that's the "flat mount" option offered with the light(s) on advmonster.com. If you go back a page in this thread and look at Hondo's work on the light configuration, he says something about mounting it in his stock mask using the bracket available from the website, and the ring clamp is attached to his fab'd mount plate, so I would assume that's correct.

Or you could check with Sanjoh directly for the best answer.

Cheers!
  14. sanjoh

sanjoh Long timer

Oddometer:
    Yes, they are available as an option when purchasing an model 30, 44 or 60 light.

Select the Heavy Duty option (+$10) during checkout and add a note that you want the bulkhead mount.
  15. C.Hensley

C.Hensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I know this is an old thread but was wondering if this conversion is still available? I pm'd sanjoh but figured I bump this up to see if anyone knows if its still available. I have an 08 Husky TE610 that needs more light.
  16. asjkhadfg

asjkhadfg n00b

Oddometer:
    I'm curious about this as well. Just sent sanjoh an email and will let you know once I hear back
  17. C.Hensley

C.Hensley Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    He got back to me. They have been discontinued. I might get a h4 headlight assembly and put in a H4 LED.