Legislative Update

Discussion in 'Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.' started by robdogg, Feb 5, 2007.

1. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:
    Just got this email from the Northwest Motorcycle Association

LEGISLATIVE UPDATE

The Washington State Legislature in now is session and two of the bills before them could be extremely detrimental to the sport of offroad motorcycling if they are passed into law.

HB1434 in the House of Representatives and SB5544 in the Senate address the issue of nonhighway vehicle noise.

Both of these bills are identical and propose to do a number of things. One of the things that they would do is lower the maximum decibel level at 20 inches from the exhaust pipe from 105dba to 96dba. The NMA supports lowering the sound level to 96dba. It is a reasonable level and is gradually becoming the national standard. That is where our support stops completely. The NMA strongly opposes the rest of what is contained within these bills.

Other parts of these bills include provisions that would make it illegal to ride your bike if it is plainly audibleb from anywhere adjacent to a residence. This is regardless of the location of the residence, it could be located on a farm, in an industrial area or even be a cabin in the woods. The penalty for this crime would be a minimum of $100 and doubling for repeat infractions, up to a maximum of $800 per rider per incident.

Supposedly HB1434 and SB5544 were created to address environmental noise in residential settings, but they really just single out and discriminate against the owners of nonhighway vehicles. If the goal is to really address residential noise then wouldn't the noise from lawnmowers, leaf blowers, chainsaws and all other noise emitting residential gardening and landscaping equipment be included? Shouldn't the noise from automobiles, trucks, busses, boats and aircraft be treated the same?

These bills are an attempt to get rid of a legitimate form of family recreation and not to solve a noise problem. They are sponsored by the same legislators that annually attack our sport and this year is no different except for the extremes they are willing take their quest to rid our State of dirtbikes.

There are other problems with HB1434 and SB5544. It takes law enforcement manpower to enforce these new laws. Most of our law enforcement agencies are already working at their maximum capacity. It would be a very inappropriate use of their time and effort when it would be better spent on serious issues like getting repeat drunk drivers off the road, putting meth lab operators, predatory sex offenders, murders and other violent criminals behind bars.

If you dislike what these bills would do, please contact your State Senator, your two State House of Representatives members and let them know you oppose HB1434 and SB5544.

You can locate and contact them via the link below:

www.leg.wa.gov

Happy trails,

Tod Petersen

Vice President Northwest Motorcycle Association

16015 62nd Ave NW Stanwood, WA 98292

Email: tod701@aol.com

Phone: 360.652.5922
  2. Jackazz

Jackazz Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    OK Robdogg, I've been reading about this topic for a week or so and I finally pulled my fingers out of my butt and e-mailed my senator and the representatives. Hopefully more people are on board!
    "T"
  3. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    I just sent the following to all my representatives:

Dear Senator Adam Kline:

I just finished reading the bill that you're sponsoring.

I wonder what must have happened to you that made you so displeased with the off-road crowd. I agree that there are some irresponsible people out there that have no business riding off-road vehicles among the trees but I, sir, am not one of them nor do I ride with anyone that would knowingly disrupt anyone's wilderness experience.

The fact of the matter is that from top to bottom this bill doesn't really make much sense. As a business owner and tax payer, I am frustrated by your decision to use “our” time and money to work on what amounts to nothing more than "your" personal agenda based on what I've read through various off-road communities; where an email that you wrote, by the way, was posted as follows:

"Dear Mr. Helgeson,

I signed on because I have been annoyed, endangered, and angered one too many times by people riding motorized dirt-bikes and other off-road vehicles that have no damn business anywhere. To me, this bill is narrow--it doesn't include those "personal watercraft," seemingly jet-powered little missiles whose only apparent purpose is to risk death and dismemberment for boaters and swimmers, for the amusement of spoiled drunk teenagers.

Yes, I am sure there is the occasional responsible person who rides one of these machines on land or water. And yes, like every human being I have been pleasantly surprized to find my stereotypes broken. But why, why, why, do folks insist on motorized "sports"? Those two words are an oxymoron. There is nothing sporting--athletic, physically demanding--about riding any machine anywhere. And it's a damned annoyance to folks who see the outdoors as a place to go for quiet and solitude and self-exploration. I would be happy to ban the use of the internal combustion engine off-road, by anyone without a handicapped sticker, subject to a stiff fine. Maybe we could call this an anti-obesity measure.

Please circulate this to all motorized sports enthusiasts, so they can remember never to vote for me.

Adam Kline"

If the people in your district are adamant about such a bill, so be it; it's your duty to represent their best interests. However, please use our tax dollars and the time allotted to you during the session to solve this state's "real" problems. Traffic concerns "on-road" are far more important to the majority of Washingtonians than trying to further restrict our off-road enjoyment. Not all of us want to be Harley-Davidson-riding asphalt junkies. Driving on the asphalt is a lot more dangerous and is pretty dull, too.

Besides, what sort of income from ticketing do you expect to generate with SB5544? And, what sort of force do you imagine would be necessary to catch all the “bad guys?”

I doubt this bill will pass. However, you should know that there are a lot of riders out here that take significant offense to your position. There is a lot of money behind this group and they vote, too, although it shouldn't be about money. I do not believe that you speak for the majority. Your position is irresponsible and based on misguided, narrow perspective.

Kill the bill, Mr. Kline.
  4. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    Hot off the presses... I just received a reply from my district Rep, Deborah Eddy:

++++++++++++++++++<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    I agree that this is an ill-advised bill. Sen. Kline apparently had some interaction with some off-roaders that made him angry. I'm not sure that we should be using our positions as legislators to fix every perceived problem we run up against. <o:p></o:p>
    You may be assured that I'm not supporting this bill, should it get out of the Senate and into the House.<o:p></o:p>
    deb<o:p></o:p>
    Rep. Deborah H. Eddy<o:p></o:p>
    48th Legislative District<o:p></o:p>
    P 1.360.786.7848<o:p></o:p>

5. robdogg

robdogg turnip truck driver

Oddometer:

cool; good to know not all dem's are kooky :evil
  6. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Well, I actually live in the 37th district . . . .

Here's what I just sent off to him:

Senator Kline,

I just wanted to express my disappointment with your views concerning ORV noise (SB 5544); You sir will NEVER have my vote in future as per your request!!!!!

Just wanted to let you know,

Robert House
  7. GalacticGS

GalacticGS Motorcyclist Supporter

Oddometer:
    I've sent letters to my senator and both representatives. Unfortunately, I currently up in Canada and can't attend the rally later this week - but best wishes to all that do! And hoping the weather gets better!
  8. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    The bigger picture here is that one of our elected officials is completely off the reservation and out there spending our money drafting legislation that has no connection with his constituency. The legislation presented in SB5544 is all about one man’s myopic perspective about his position and personal preferences; he’s uninformed, thinking only about himself, and projecting his bizarre set of standards on the people of Washington.

Has anyone ever wondered why the national Democratic Party is so disorganized and ineffective? Take a look at this screwball (Adam Kline) and his emotion-based approach to public service coupled with his entitlement attitude and you’ll begin to see why the Democratic Party is like a rudderless ship in high seas. This guy needs to go in 2011 when his term expires.

Perhaps the biggest concept here is that I’ve spent just a few keystrokes getting involved and already I’ve made a small impact in my district. Imagine if people took the same amount of time to understand what’s going on with their elected officials and typed a few words into an email to voice their opinions. Man, that’s empowering.

In some ways, I’ll bet our elected officials would really appreciate more input from us so they could have a better connection to what it is they’re supposed to be doing in Olympia.
  9. Watercat

Watercat . . . gravity sucks

Oddometer:
    Well said . . . . .

I agree 100%.
  10. Billmac

Billmac Ride, Ride and ride some more

Oddometer:
    Here's the reply I recieved from Sen Joe Zarrelli:

William,
    Sen Kline never ceases to amaze me, but we will do all we can to
    defeat the measure.

Joe

Nice that it was not a canned reply as I recieved from others, this quy will get my vote.
  11. big_weight

big_weight Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Bill, thanks for writing. This is a bad bill. I'll be voting against it.
    Keep in touch, Jim
  12. HighwayChile

HighwayChile greetings from Wa state Supporter

Oddometer:
    I will be writing an email to my 3 rep's, and following it up with phone calls to each rep, reminding them that I have voted for them several times.

All 3 legislators in my district ( 40th) west skagit/whatcom/island counties are demo's, as is the way I usually vote. To slam all demo's because kline is a moronic, powertripping, feeble brain, vendetta seeking jerk is wrong.
    the Same could be said about the oval office and his party:norton .

Stick to the issue. and act. I will be stopping by several bike shops in the area to see what they are doing . they and the NMA, blue ribbon should be organizing buses to hit olympia. really MC manufactures should be footing the bill.

do more then email, most are read by assistants not the rep's.
  13. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    The latest info on the Rally,

T minus THREE DAYS.

Are you going to let Senator Kline decide your future?????

Rally Stage Points and Captains:

SHELTON / PENINSULA Meet at the Dennys Restaurant in Shelton by Walmart and Fred Myer (Wallace Kneeland exit) at 8AM for Breakfast, or 9AM for Convoy, Convoy leaves 9:30, Contact: John Eaton (360) 427-3478 dirtbike@hctc.com

STRADDLELINE ORV Park: Free camping Thursday night, Convoy leaves 10:15 Contact: Ben Bushnell (360) 495-3054 straddleline_orv@centurytel.com YamaMama, Old Man Time, and Bbbom, I'm counting on you to be Eastside cheerleaders and pack Straddleline

FAR SOUTH / PORTLAND AREA: Pro Caliber parking lot in Vancouver 8AM for coffee and doughnuts, convoy out 8:45AM Contact: Eric Folkestad (877) 200-3761 This convoy will meet up with Rick Dahl in Chehalis at the Walmart parking lot, convoy leaves Chehalis at 10:15 Contact Rick Dahl (360) 430-6694 rdahl@teleport.com

LYNNWOOD CYCLE BARN (Harley store at 188th & Hwy 99) Meet at 8AM Convoy leaves at 8:30AM Contact Karen Hills (425) 750-3364 or Dave Preston (425) 774-3538

RMC Convoy leaves at 10AM Contact Joe Jones jjones@rentonmotorcycles.com

Tacoma Mall, JC Pennys side: Meet as early as 8:30, Convoy out 10AM Contact Diana Stafford (253) 732-2818 or KDX Dave (253) 389-2818

I'm still waiting on contact info and times for Skagit Powersports, someone fire them up please and have them contact me ASAP.

Your future is now up to you...
  14. HighwayChile

Oddometer:
    The Axis of Evil

you must contact them and give your side. let them know they will not receive your vote.
    ==============
    Senator Adam Kline
    37th District Seattle
    ===================
    Senator Karen Fraser
    22nd District Thurston County, term expires 1/09
    =========================
    Senator Erik Poulsen
    34th District Seattle
    ===============
    Senator Darlene Fairley
    32nd District Lake Forest Park
    =================
    Senator Brian Weinstein
    41st District Mercer Island
    =================
    Senator Ken Jacobsen
    46th District Seattle
    =================
    Senator Rosa Franklin
    29th District Tacoma
    =================
  15. MyFirstThumper

MyFirstThumper Old and Slow

Oddometer:
    Skagit Power Sports is the meeting point for Skagit county. I know of a few empty seats if you need or want a ride to rally. Just let me know.
  16. Gootch

Gootch Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
    That's mine below -- disappointed in her and e-mailed her earlier today. I pointed out that this would close the long-time, popular, family-friendly ORV park on the Thurston County-Grays Harbor County border.

17. GSHighlander

GSHighlander Enthusiast

Oddometer:
    If anyone's interested, Adam Kline sent me a reply via email and I'd be glad to post it....it's quite the bleeding heart novel.

The interesting part about what he wrote is how much he talks about himself and his experiences with ORV riders and not once references his constituents. Amazing...

His district, District 37, is a narrow strip located along Lake Washington between Madrona and <st1:city w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Renton</st1:place></st1:city>. How much ORV riding takes place in that district? If I had to guess, I'd say, uh, zero. What a jackass... :lol3<o:p></o:p>
  18. peterman

peterman cop magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    I wonder if he gets upset at the unlimited hydroplanes that race on Lake Washington,,they make more noise than an ORV,, go after leafblowers Dude, if you want to better the neighborhood sound levels.
  19. MyFirstThumper

Oddometer:
  20. MyFirstThumper

Oddometer:
    I'm sure you got the same canned response that the rest of us got. I think Kline got started with this in part due to who his friends are. check out this thread. These are his close friends.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=423262