Tiger 800 panniers ?

Discussion in 'Triumph Tigers' started by jphish, Jul 17, 2011.

1. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Stock Tiger sidecases are OK - but I want something a bit more robust / sturdy for the adventure side of things. (that includes the occassional 'nap' that the kitty's like to take when ridden in such a way that makes them want to lay down) So 'aftermarket' is finally starting to catch up. Both Happy Trails & SW Motech have panniers & brackets (their brackets will also fit a multitude of other cases) So which way have you gone & what was your criteria ?
  2. LoriKTM

LoriKTM Wrecking Ball

Oddometer:
  3. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Thanks Lori - one more 'possible' to add to list.
  4. Cos

Cos Re-Greekified

Oddometer:
    For the "adventure" side of things, i'd be thinking soft bags, not hard bags.
    MissNikkor and jub jub like this.
  5. E-town dirt dude

E-town dirt dude Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I bought the Triumph cases and think the plastic crossmember looks very flimsy. I hope there is an aftermarket company that can fabricate a new (metal replacement) that will still allow for mounting of the stock cases and top mounts
  6. stevedo

stevedo Been here awhile

Oddometer:

They look awfully close to the passenger grab handles, especially on the left hand side. Could you comment on how they work with a passenger on board.

Thanks
  7. Andylaser

Andylaser Heavy Metal

Oddometer:
    I have fitted the SW Motech quick release frames. They will spend most of their time in the shed unused, so I wont have to cary around extra weight.

The jury is still out rearding what panniers to fit, but Caribou are looking the most likely as they are pretty much indestructable.
  8. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I have soft panniers (Ortlieb) but still need rack system to keep 'em off the hot pipe. They are pretty good for many things - but not for all. When I say adventure - I mean camping / fishing trips on dirt gravel USFS / BLM roads - not single track. Am leaning towards Happy Trails rack & Holan 40 L cases (if available) for the long haul. My trips are typically 3-4K mi - need capacity for 'creature comforts' (camping gear / flyrods / food) & sturdy enough to weather the terrain / conditions we encounter. Still interested in others experience though. Was considering SW MotechTraX cases, but the "parallel universe" board had one thread that was not very complementary on the 'system' or its durability. Perhaps the new EVO models have corrected the issues - maybe not. E-towns comment on the 'flimsy' nature of the Triumph rack system is one of the reasons I'm moving to something else. I think for general use they are fine - Just dont see the plastic holding up to any abuse - & given the roads we travel, I will at some point have a 'tip over'... possibly even while in motion. :norton
  9. Dr. Greg

Dr. Greg Tryin' to get home.. Supporter

Oddometer:
    My acquisition of a new Tiger 800 XC hinges on the availability of top-loading panniers (and top box). I have a month left in the summer for traveling, and every place I've checked re luggage replies the same: NOT IN STOCK.

Yet owners seem to be getting luggage somewhere...thanks for any help.

--Doc
  10. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hey Doc - You're ready to 'ride the tiger' ? Cool! I think you'll like 'em. DO get some 20mm (at least) risers though - the stock bar setting, even for us shorter folk, is really uncomfortable. You're smart 'passing' on the Triumph luggage - I cant see it surviving much abuse. It ain't much...but heres what I know so far: Happy Trails does have a symetrical SU rack system (currently available) than will fit any pannier, that has a flat unadorned mounting surface. The rack sticks out equally on both sides so you DONT order different size cases to accomodate exhaust. There is room on non-exhaust side for MSR bottle, tool kit, whatever. It has its pros / cons but I can live with that. I'm definatly getting their pannier rack system and tail platform for my drybag. (I had HT racks / cases on my KLR that ended up being large 'frame sliders' with no significant damage under serious abuse - they make really tough / high quality stuff. I wish they made a more aesthetically pleasing pannier...but havent ruled them out entirerly yet) Called Holan to inquire about 2 - 40L cases. No word back. My riding partner waited over 4 months last year for his 800GS panniers from them. Pretty poor business model - hopefully improved by now. TraX EVO 37L sidecases appear to be available & might be my next choice, but waiting to hear back on the improvements over the previous models & if compatible with HT racks. Twisted throttle has been pretty good to deal with & are very responsive. Jessies are also an option, they ARE durable - my buddy has them on his 12GS & 'Lori KTM' also recommends them. Not sure about availability tho - havent checked yet. Pelican or Cariboo (I forget which) does now have top loaders - reportedly pretty tough. But they look more like plastic garbage cans without wheels (as some pundit surmised) - tho I don't think they're that bad. Anyway - thats as far as my research takes me so far. Will let you know of further developments as I hear back from folks. Chow' j
  11. neparider

neparider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I need to find the rack that will allow me to hang the givi's or the pelicans. The pelicans we're acquired thru the fire service. read free.

Caribou had the adapters that i can attach to them and allow for the Givi type attachment.
    My question is, Do I have to buy Givi specific racks, still being developed, or will other manufacture's work?

[​IMG]
  12. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Neparider - I've been on so many sights looking for panniers, its all a psychotic jumble at the moment. However...either Happy Trails or SW Motech (cant remember which for sure - but think HT) has hardware kit for mounting Givi's to their rack. I think HT makes the toughest racks out there - so hope it's them. I see you traded in your 'Hooligan beast' on the 800. I had an 08' Uly X I sold in May to get my 800. Glad I made the swap, but do miss the canyon carving abilities of the XB12X. A pretty good adventure machine she was. j
  13. neparider

neparider Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    "I see you traded in your 'Hooligan beast' on the 800."

jphish, thanks for the info on the HT racks, I will go check them out.

After 100 mile day today, I am impressed with the quickness in the XC. It will go around corners pretty good, but the Uly was a corner cutter and probably going to find it was a bit more comfortable.

Time and seat time will tell for sure.
  14. Mercury264

Mercury264 Once you go Triple...

Oddometer:
    +1

I just don't trust hard bags, even Pelicans, when Kitty decides to take a nap.
  15. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Merc - I agree soft bags have their rightful place, I use my Ortliebs for shorter more challenging jaunts. But they also have capacity / security limitations. Its a compromise...like tires. I still need a rugged set of hard, water proof panniers for the 2 - 3 week camping / fishing trips & something to keep critters out (wont work for bears) of the food and my tooth paste. Neparider - Yeah - the Uly was probably the most naturally comfortable bike I ever had. A seriously under rated machine. (like my 955 tiger) But have found the 800 reasonably comfy on longish rides. Did only one 700 mi day so far - with gel seat (not sure how much better it is) and was not overly crippled at the end. Most days are 500, or under. At 62, I dont like marathon rides, unless there is a good reason, like out running wind / snow storms, which we were. Unfortunately, not entirely successfully. Chow' j PS: the folks at happy Trails are very knowledgeable & nice to work with. A phone call will quickly sort out what you need.
  16. eakins

eakins Butler Maps

Oddometer:
  17. Evomx971

Evomx971 Wave as you fly over

Oddometer:
    I have Jesse's on mine and I'm happy with them. IMO they are sized well, pretty much as big as you can go w/o them looking cartoonish. Watertight. The two-lock/two-latch system is a bit fiddly compared to a givi case. As with any hard pannier, they are leg breakers, especially if dabbing in sand.

Someone asked about clearance with the grab handles. The Girlfriend uses the handles and hasn't mentioned any issues. It's tight (which you'd want to keep the cases tucked in to the bike) but I can still easily get ahold of them to pull the bike up on the centerstand, roll it around, etc.

Good, sturdy, well made cases.
    Wearyeyed likes this.
  18. Shep

Shep Vagabond Supporter

Oddometer:
    I ended up canceling my order for the Touratech bags when I was told there is no estimated availability time. It looks like I may only have one week free for the rest of the year and it is coming up before the bags could possibly be ready. Since that is the case, I thought I might as well wait. I have had Jesse bags before and liked them, so I might end up going that route. For now, I am thinking of getting another set of Wolfman Dry Expedition saddlebags (sold last set) and mounting them. Wolfman told me they are almost done with their own fitment system for it. They will not replace the eventual hard bags, but if I buy them now I can use them on another bike that will soon join the Tiger in the garage.

Shep
  19. markbvt

markbvt Long timer

Oddometer:
    Georgia, Vermont (that's one town, not two states)
    I think I'm going to go with the SW Motech racks and Wolfman adapter plates from windingroads.co.uk -- looks like a best-of-both-worlds setup. I like the fact that the Wolfman bags' throwover strap is eliminated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

--mark
    jub jub likes this.
  20. jphish

jphish Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Happy Trails SU rack for tigers will accomodate any hard pannier that has a flat mounting surface & can be used for drybags as well. Good as auxillary frame sliders when bags are on / off too.