Ok...Basecamp is starting to pizz me off......

Discussion in 'GPS 101 - Which GPS For Me' started by Motor7, Sep 17, 2014.

1. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I have two Nuvi 1490's(one for back-up). I am trying to lay out in the Trip Planner from Thorn Hill, TN to Skull Valley AZ. First thing Basecamp says is that my connection between my 1490 and Basecamp is "limited speed"...what? Do I need a Firewire port to do this...I am just using a garden variety USB port and cable. Anyway, it takes about 4 min to calculate the route.....however, when the map pops up in Basecamp, the route is a nice big arch from TN to AZ....just like I was flying a plane.....no details at all on the route......what?

At least if I ask the 1490 to calculate a route outside of Basecamp, most direct, no highways, no tolls, no traffic & un-paved allowed it sets up what looks like a pretty decent route. I am about done foolng with Basecamp.....I think it's name is appropriate....you never get out of camp....just stay there and pull out all you hair by the roots.
  2. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    basecamp is trying to tell you something...

flynride
  3. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    Ok, I give up....tried it half a dozen times.

One more question, has anyone used the bicycle touring route for their motorcycle trip? I am wondering if it avoids more cities since the motorcycle planner sends you right through many downtowns.
  4. TRZ Charlie

TRZ Charlie That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer:
    Kinda sounds like a graphics card problem. Especially with the rendering of the map taking so long. Maybe update your graphics card driver?
  5. DRTBYK

DRTBYK All Things GPS

Oddometer:
    What map are you using in BaseCamp to calculate your route with?
  6. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    It's definitely not a graphics card problem, I tried it on two different computers and had the same results. The maps are the standard Garmin North America preloaded maps.
  7. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    Screw basecamp and lay your route out with MapQuest. It exports directly to the Nuvi.
  8. Countdown

Countdown Long timer

Oddometer:
    How do you manage all your tracks, with MapQuest?
  9. Meriden

Meriden Yea whatever

Oddometer:
    A couple of things to keep in mind (apologies if you know this already.)

For basecamp and your Garmin device to calculate routes the same way both have to be using the same map and both have to have the same preferences/avoidances selected. Not all maps are routable.

I set up a route between your two cities using City Navigator 2009 (with my avoidances the route was mostly I40) and then recalculated it using the stock global map and received the same arc that you mentioned. Changing the map to TOPO keeps the arc type route because TOPO is not a routable map.

If you don't have the same maps on both devices use the Device-> Receive From Device feature and see if you can import the map from your Nuvi into basecamp.

Finally, Select Edit->Options and create your own custom profile by clicking on the little green plus box. The stock profiles have settings that make no sense to me. You can set up your custom profile to match you Nuvi without changing the existing profiles in basecamp.

m
  10. ohgood

ohgood Just givver tha berries !!!

Oddometer:
    i keep all my maps, tracks, routes, etc, on my phone. 8gb is plenty of space. gpsies , Google drive, and mega get weekly uploads, just in case I smash things really really well.
  11. smbjm

smbjm Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Do you have the map installed on your computer or is BC reading the map from your 1490s? If Basecamp is reading and rendering the maps through a USB connection it's going to be slow. Best to have the map installed on the computer.
  12. scootertrog

scootertrog Jedi Fart Master

Oddometer:
    I don't use tracks, just routes. Since my last response, I've been using Routeconverter. Man......... what I've been missing! Routeconverter works so much better for creating routes and it also exports a .gpx file that can be imported into the Nuvi's. Routeconverter also can create a .trp file for CoPilot apps.
  13. Motor7

Motor7 Long timer

Oddometer:
    I appreciate the reply's....sorry but I buggerd out on my 8 state, 3 week-ish, 5,348 mile ride. I bought a mini atlas at a truck stop then used the Nuvie to see my legs from city to city. I would just glance at the map during a re-fuel, punch in a city ahead and roll. Worked fine and was much less frustrating than dealing with mapping the whole trip. Besides, I had no itinerary, no real time limit on travel so I just drifted where I wanted to go. I only did one day of "innnerstate" on the way home...the rest was all secondary roads:clap