2011 Ninja 1000 (ZX1000G) Insurance

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by Rhino, Nov 16, 2010.

1. Rhino

Rhino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Have any of you interested in getting a Ninja 1000 checked on what insurance is going to cost for this bike?

My current carrier, Progressive, classifies it as an ultra high performance bike and wants $770.00 per year for full coverage, $1000.00 deductable. I'm 63, no tickets, wrecks, rider course every other year, credit score 800+. My 2010 Concours 14 runs under $300.00 and a Z1000 runs $350.00 for the same coverages.

What are you guys encountering?

UPDATE: - I am impressed with Kawasaki customer followup!!!!!!
    I got a call from Kawasaki corporate today in response to an email I sent them Monday on this same topic. My phone number was not in the eamil, so someone had to do some research. The call was not from a part-time customer service rep that had never ridden a motorcycle, but from a 26 year veteran of Kawasaki and an avid motorcyclist! We had a great conversation about a number of things. He explained that Kawasaki has a very orderly and consistant model designation system - the ZX is basicly an inline 4 with a full fairing, and the Z1000 (ZR1000D) represents an inline 4 without a fairing. Many insurance companies don't go much beyond the model designator when setting their rates. So the key is to do some serious shopping around!

Kawasaki is doing a lot of things right! I for one am impressed with their product, pricing and customer service. Others could learn from them!
  2. DogBoy

DogBoy Not a Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Is there any chance the insurance agent gave you a quote for a ZX-10R rather than the new Ninja 1000? I believe Kawasaki always designates the supersport bikes as "ZX" and the standards like the Z1000 as "ZR".

I wonder if the Ninja 1000 is even in insurance company databases yet because it was only announced about six weeks ago and is not in dealer showrooms yet.
  3. Rhino

Rhino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I checked with the dealer on the ZX1000G designation for the Ninja 1000 and it is correct. I did check with the agent and later Progressive direct to make sure they were not giving me a ZX10 R quote. The person at Progressive indicated that if Kawasaki gave this bike a "ZX" designation, then it is an ultra high performance bike!

Kawasaki has killed this bike by giving it the Ninja name and the ZX designation!

The Z1000 has a ZR 1000 model designation.

I have emailed Kawasaki on this issue but don't expect a response.
  4. Nophix

Nophix Ride. Eat. Repeat

Oddometer:
    Try different companies. I've noticed Progressive really doesn't care for anything they think is labeled as a Supersport. Check Dairyland.

I do like Progressive for my cars, though. Every other carrier wanted a fortune for my Durango.
  5. Grainbelt

Grainbelt marginal adventurer

Oddometer:
    State Farm is pretty much just displacement only
  6. GB

GB . Administrator Super Moderator

Oddometer:
    Maybe in the US, but not in Canada.

I was briefly interested in the Ducati Multistrada 1200 until I called them for an insurance quote: $2500 :huh Ok, so how about a BMW 1200GS, $1000. Both bikes are in the same category... oh, but Ducati's are considered supersport :rolleyes
  7. DogBoy

Oddometer:

Bummer. I wonder how they designate the supersports these days since the ZX10 was a ZX1000 and ZX6 was a ZX600 as late as 2005. Let us know what Kawasaki says.
  8. Dranrab Luap

Dranrab Luap Gruntled and Imperturbable

Oddometer:

I would have never guessed that.
  9. Gas Hog

Gas Hog Two Wheel Fanatic

Oddometer:
    This just shows that sometimes you not only have to shop different company's, but agents with the same company..:bluduh
    Its all how they are classed for sure.
    That and Canada State Farm sucks :D
    Gary
    [​IMG]
  10. DogBoy

Oddometer:
    I have to apologize to Rhino for doubting him.

This morning, I went by Kawi dealer where I used to work and had a look that manufacturer's book that gives the model designations. As Rhino said, the Ninja 1000 is designated the ZX1000G so that will really ding buyers on insurance since ZX models are labled as sportbikes. Anyone getting a quote needs to make sure and use the "G" when requesting a quote.

Sorry Rhino.

(The ZX-10r is the ZX1000J and a mistaken quote for that bike is likely to cause even more heartache.)
  11. vagt6

vagt6 Bit the Bullet

Oddometer:
    Rhino, get on the web and in your local Yellow pages and shop that insurance until you drop! Premiums can vary significantly among insurers for the same coverage.

Get quotes from the usual MC insurers, plus maybe a couple of your local, "Independent" agents (who represent many markets).

I shop all my insurance every year. Home; car/bike, everything. I've saved a pile of money over the years this way.

I've been with GEICO on my cars for several years, and Progressive on my motorcycle. Good, competitive premiums.

Let us know, good info.
  12. NMEXPAT

NMEXPAT Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Try foremost. They were way cheaper than GEICO. Plus they sponsor motorcycle racing, at least last year they did.
  13. Road Program

Road Program Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I can't speak for Canada, but State Farm here in the states offers the best rates I've seen. My premium went up when I moved to FL so I shopped around a bit and I ended up laughing at the quotes from Progressive and Geico, about 4-5x what State Farm wanted for the same coverage.
  14. jeffs900s

jeffs900s Prophet of Doom

Oddometer:
    Yep. Shop around. Progressive has been the cheapest for me, but I do shop around anually, or everytime I get a new bike. I can't for the life of me figure out how insurance companies come up with their premiums because there seems to be no rhyme or reason. I'm certain that you'll find someone who will insure it reasonably.
  15. Rhino

Rhino Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    No problem Dogboy!

I double checked it with my dealer also! I didn't believe him at first!

Rhino
  16. roadburner

roadburner Adventurer

Oddometer:
    State Farm is displacement only. They don't care about anything else. My cbr1100xx is cheaper to insure than my V92c Victory was.
  17. Henderson757

Henderson757 Living the American Dream

Oddometer:
    I got a quote from Progessive on the ZX1000G and they quoted my 12,000.00 a year.!!! lol I asked the lady if she had the right model Number and she said she did. I had a r1 with progessive and it was like 1000.00 a year. I hope Kawi looks into this problem. I have 1 ticket no wrecks safety classes and a CDL and it was still that high. I was shocked. but the lady did tell me it was only 1,100.00 every month. lol WHEW.... That makes it better
  18. Hank.SD

Hank.SD Long timer Supporter

Oddometer:
  19. Sock Monkey

Sock Monkey 99% bullshitter...the other 1% is just lies

Oddometer:
    :eek1 :eek1 :eek1

Gary, who is this through? That is an amazing rate. Through Foremost I'm paying $400/yr w/ full coverage on my 1200S. If I can switch and save $200, I'm there!

Thanks! :thumb

-Sock Monkey
  20. L.B.S.

L.B.S. Long timer

Oddometer:

She quoted you 12,000.00 /year and then said it was only "1,100.00" a month? LOL

um...I don't think this is Kawasaki's problem.:lol3