City Navigator 2011 on Zumo 450?

Discussion in 'Mapping & Navigation' started by Ron from BC, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    I currently have City Navigator North America 2010 on my 450. I also have a topo maps for the US and Canada on separate SD cards.

I thought I would upgrade the City Navigator to 2011 however the internal memory of the 450 is 1.2 gb and the new 2011 map .img is 1.26 gb.

I'd rather not have to put this map on an SD card.

With the US TOPO maps I used mapsource to select only the areas I would likely be travelling in which resulted in a very small img.

I thougt I could do this with the new City Navigator....like take off some areas on the eastern seaboard etc and get the img down to a size that would fit into the internal memory.

If this is possible I must be screwing up somehow as I can't get mapsource to open the City Nav 2011 img so I can trim it down.

Anyone point me in the right direction......:ear
  2. 9Dave

9Dave Bazinga!

Oddometer:
    The Garmin site says CN NT 2011 is compatible with the Zumo 450. I wouldn't think you would have to trim anything to get it to load. Does it bomb when you do?

In the preload models, I don't think you can do anything but load the image that is provided. They are not like the 60 or 276/376 series where you choose what you want to load.
  3. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    The img size for the new 2011 CN NA is 1.26 gb and the internal memory of the 450 is 1.2 gb. Perhaps when they say compatible they're eluding to using the SD slot.
  4. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    In the past with CN NT 2010.2 I have been able to create a map set with as many or as few map segments as I wanted. Is that not the case with 2011?

The result is a gmapsupp.img file that is the size and content that I want. With a gps like a Zumo or StreetPilot where I can see the original image file when attached to a PC, I just rename the gmapsupp.img file to gmapprom.img and copy it into place into the Garmin folder on the gps.

Would this not still work?
  5. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Hey Phil,

That's what I figure too and what I have done with TOPO maps as I don't need the whole country's trails etc. I used Mapsource to cull it down to just what I needed and did the renaming as you mentioned.

As I've only used Mapsource a few times I can't seem to get the darn .img to open in the program so I can do the 'edit'. img is the wrong format to open...

I recall struggling a bit with it when I did the TOPO map until I did 'something' and it opened. The tutorial isn't providing much help..
  6. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    Hi Ron,

I don't think you can open the .img file in MapSource. Do you not have CN NT 2011 maps installed on your PC? If not, I don't think I know how to proceed.
  7. Ron from BC

Ron from BC Long timer

Oddometer:
    Well I guess something went awry in my install. I'll strip it off and start again with a fresh install.

Thanks...

Ron
  8. pckopp

pckopp Aged Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I don't know if anything went awry if you got your update via download from Garmin. This method doesn't give you the PC version of the maps, as I understand it. Not sure I understand Garmin's thinking here.