How do you open the snout on Rotopax?

Discussion in 'Equipment' started by mustardfj40, Aug 10, 2012.

1. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Hi, how do you open the snout on the Rotopax to let the gas out? No matter what I tried couldn't get the gar to pour out. I turned blue dial which has the small arrow to point to picture with open lock, but nothing came out. After some trying and cursing, the little spring inside the blue dial popped out. I think I screw up already.

Has one try to modify the snout?

Thanks.
  2. JustKip

JustKip Long timer

Oddometer:
    Did you remove the stopper from the end that goes INSIDE the can?

DAMHIK
  3. DaymienRules

DaymienRules Traffic target

Oddometer:
    Turn it to unlock, then push it towards the can.
  4. mustardfj40

mustardfj40 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I think I did, is it the the little back thing the size of a dollar coin? Thanks
  5. TJ Willy

TJ Willy ADV, this, I crave.

Oddometer:
    Yeah, you have to turn and pull it down.
  6. raceu2

raceu2 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I got one of these had the same problem. you'd think for the price they would tell you how it works:huh
  7. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    WindBlast likes this.
  8. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    From Rotopax:

http://www.rotopax.com/ECO-Spout.html

TO USE THIS SPOUT TWIST GREEN RING TO THE UN-LOCKED POSITION AND THEN PUSH OR APPLY PRESSURE TO THE SPOUT UNTIL IT SLIDES 1/4" AND THE GAS WILL FLOW.

[​IMG]
  9. TurkeyChicken

TurkeyChicken Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    That spout is a giant POS. The spring popped off of mine after spending 20 minutes trying to get it to work. I ended up having to forget about the spout and try to fuel up straight out of the rotopax which was a bit of a pain.
  10. Alleycatdad

Alleycatdad Unbunch yer panties!

Oddometer:
    True Norcal, not that Bay Area/Sacto Crap...
    I dunno. I have two and they're the best working Cal spouts I've ever had. Just hook the little, er, hook on the end of he spout on the edge of the tank opening, turn the ring to the unlock and give a gentle push. Works great.

California spouts suck, no doubt about it, but these work fine for me.

S
  11. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    A bit of clarification on my recommendation to use the yellow self-venting spout (post #7). I inidcated that it was for the water RotoPax. This might lead one to believe it is not suitable for fuel. Not the case. It is also shipped with the international FUEL RotoPax so it is safe to use with all fuel RotoPax. See RotoPax webpage last line of the description.

[​IMG]

I just returned from a ride UK to Uzbekistan and the RotoPax were required where decent fuel was difficult to find. Pics aren"t the greatest but here's my 990 in UZ. Mount is a modified RotoPax Polaris RZR Plate + Pack Mount.

http://www.rotopax.com/Polaris-RZR-Plate-Pack-Mount.html

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  12. ben2go

ben2go Long timer

Oddometer:
    [​IMG]
  13. steve_k

steve_k Long timer

Oddometer:
    Mine works just fine, but might switch to the water spout to make it even easier.
  14. Wadester

Wadester Rides a dirty bike

Oddometer:
    There is one thing about these - I recall it from a coleman fuel can spout I've got:
    [​IMG]

The push direction is in line with the screw connection - NOT in the direction of the spout. If you push directly in on the spout - it wants to bind up the valve! You have to push in line with the valve, which puts a bit of a side load on the spout, but that doesn't give you problems unless what you're fueling can move in that direction.

15. el profe

el profe Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I somehow broke my spout fighting to get the bike gassed up by the side of the road. The spring fell off, then something else broke off so that the green collar you have to twist isn't in the way anymore, I just push the spout in and gas pours out-- all over the effing place. :(:
  16. ALinUTAH

ALinUTAH Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Take a pair of wire cutters and just cut that green ring off. It will eventually break anyway. Then all you have to do is push the spout in to dispense. The return spring on the spout with wear out quickly too, so you might have to pull the spout back out manually before you spill fuel all over the place.

Otherwise the rotopax is awesome. -al
  17. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    Let's see - we jump down, spin around, rub our belly while patting our forehead and hold our tongue just right while pouring, otherwise fuel spills all over the place. But they are Eco-Friendly, RIGHT?:rofl:rofl

I agree, RotoPax are awsome just so long as you use the yellow self-venting spout. :clap
  18. mefly2

mefly2 Long timer

Oddometer:
    All I did was pull out the spring ...still works as it should but no auto Kali stopper.
  19. vagabondmatt

vagabondmatt Keep on keep'n on.

Oddometer:
    Yeah sure, the eco-spout directions are clear and easy, and in theory it's really straightforward to use. But I agree that this spout is a total pain to use, and broke mine as well after following these simple instructions. I'll be switching to the yellow self-venting. Has anyone had any issues with the self-venting spout leaking when closed and the Roto on your bike?
  20. Shov3BR

Shov3BR Tinkerer

Oddometer:
    I've ridden from London to UZ with this setup
    [​IMG]

...and the Arctic Circle with this setup

[​IMG]

I've never had a leak. This includes a hard crash in southern Russia where the bike slid down a cheese grater road supported on the RotoPax. It wore through the red plastic and half way through the white inner material and never leaked a drop.