Buell (EBR) in receivership...

Discussion in 'Road Warriors' started by BSUCardinalfan, Apr 15, 2015.

1. BSUCardinalfan

BSUCardinalfan Been here awhile Supporter

Oddometer:
  2. Dagofast

Dagofast Owner of one clean o-ring.

Oddometer:
    I thought Hero was bankrolling them and all was well. I wonder what changed?
  3. racermx66

racermx66 Suzuki

Oddometer:
    I noticed at my local dealer in February that they took down all the Buell displays and there were no Buells in the showroom. Test rode them last summer and they weren't bad bikes.
  4. SGrider

SGrider Bob's country bunker

Oddometer:
    Sportbikes are a tough market, especially building v-twins against Ducati. For the money they sold for I'd rather have the new R1, it has reset the bar for the ultimate track day bike.

I was hoping they would make it and expand their line of bikes to include a DS single and a sport touring bike.

Makes me wonder how long Motus will last.
  5. RCmoto

RCmoto Long timer

Oddometer:
    Their bikes are/were pricey, wonder if current stock will go cheaper now
  6. drhach

drhach We can't stop here, this is bat country!!

Oddometer:
    Just a matter of semantics. But they are not bankrupt "again". They didn't go bankrupt last time. Harley opted to shut them down. That said, what a damned shame.
  7. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    damn... :bluduh

Sounds like HERO pulled the plug...
  8. SimpleSimon

SimpleSimon Aspiring advrider

Oddometer:
    That sucks. :(:
  9. DutchVDub

DutchVDub Adventurous Pirate Supporter

Oddometer:
    Maybe Polaris will snatch them up and make them successful. Unfortunately it's too soon to see how well they make Indian work, but it would be nice to keep the American Sportbike alive. I'd think they'd do better to offer some small displacement models that are more affordable instead of only big engine super bikes. Overall I'm not surprised by the news but it definitely sucks.
  10. texag10

texag10 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    The local dealer that has 1 each 1190 sx and rx already took $4k off msrp as they continue to gather dust.
  11. tradmark

tradmark Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Well, i think he made a bad decision w the brakes. Its what kept me in the aprilia and r1 camp. I honestly woulda bought a buell but i did want conventional brakes and abs if im treading into that price range. The valve adjustment intervals were excessive as well. Not bashing but just stating what kept from buying one
  12. Mattbastard

Mattbastard Lazy ass Supporter

Oddometer:
    If it were my style of riding I'd own one. Not into the cramped track-bred bikes though.
  13. sperz1

sperz1 Lame Adventurer Supporter

Oddometer:
    It's too bad. I really respect the guys stubbornness to push on despite everything going into a shit basket. Wonder if the beating they were taking in WSBK had anything to do with the poor sales?
  14. R59

R59 they call me Rocker

Oddometer:
    That would be cool.
  15. swimmer

swimmer armchair asshole

Oddometer:
    They've yet to sell anything which isn't a good sign.
  16. MrVvrroomm

MrVvrroomm Long timer

Oddometer:
    eyeroll
  17. st3ryder

st3ryder Long timer

Oddometer:
    When EBR started up I said he should bottle and sell his piss as a nepenthe for all that ails folks because he is without doubt one of the most resilient people ever. I always thought his bikes were too quirky just for the sake of trying to be different, and too damn ugly, well the 1125 line that is though the newer EBR r bikes at least had more conventional fairings. I do like some of the older air cooled models and the tubers seem to have attained a cult following. Too bad about this news but I won't be surprised to hear he resurfaces again and soon. :norton
  18. zeroblah

zeroblah Snot nosed kid

Oddometer:
    I just bought a 2006 uly with 17k miles on it. Love it, but has a couple of issues I've been trying to work out. Pulsating in the front brake, broke the belt the first night out, tries to flame out when slowing taking off the line. known issues that are easy to take care of. So I've been hunting for a rotor and pads that won't completely drain my wallet. While doing this I realized the erik buell racing website is down . While trying to find out why, I saw an article that says EBR just shut down today. Laid off 126 employees. Am I reading things wrong. Is this old news? Where do I get parts for my uly?:eek1 hopefully this is all wrong, and the website is just getting worked on. Anyone have anymore news?
  19. jwaller

jwaller Long timer

Oddometer:
    I saw a Motus at COTA on Saturday. If they haven't sold any, it must have belonged to one of Motus's owners. The bike looks better in flesh than in magazine photos.

I agree that EBR should have also built smaller, lighter bikes. I was kind of interested in some of the stuff they had in prototype form with Hero and wondering when we'd begin seeing Hero product at EBR dealers in America. I've got an EBR dealer in town and now I'm wondering if there will be another fire sale.
  20. RedRocket

RedRocket Yeah! I want Cheesy Poofs

Oddometer:

Supposedly they were selling too slowly, the initial 25 million got burned through, and Hero decided they had enough.