Welcome new 9x0 owners! Things you need to know about your new bike...

Discussion in 'Dakar champion (950/990)' started by Geek, Mar 3, 2012.

1. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I would like to respectfully suggest we try and keep the "chatter" in this thread to a minimum so that it isn't overwhelming to a new 9x0 owner as they're starting to learn about their bike.

Congrats on buying a 950/990! :clap

It is an amazing machine...

Please find below a list of important issues that you should consider addressing (sooner than later) with your bike.
    A little preventative maintenance will make your life easier in the long run.

Some things to know:

The HOW: www.ktm950.info This is the Hall Of Wisdom (HOW). It will take you a bit to digest it all, but the more you read the HOW, the more you'll understand your new bike.

SIDE STAND DESIGN FLAW: Your sidestand is mounted to your engine case. If you drop the bike on it, you could easily do a few thousand dollars in damage (as several members here have had happen). You should strongly consider an aftermarket relocation bracket of some sort; there are many different solutions available. More info here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=769436

CHAIN ADJUSTERS: After riding thousands of miles under the water, through the mud, and over the ice bergs... you are going to find that your chain adjusters have seized into your swing arm. Take a few minutes, unscrew them all the way and put anti-seize on them.. put them back in and then know they aren't going to snap off on you a few years from now.
    Some people also like to drill 1/8" drain holes in the bottom rear of their swingarms to allow the inevitable trapped water to drain out.

MUD GUARD CUTTING SWINGARM: Take a look at your plastic mudguard that protects your rear shock from debris from the rear tire.
    See how it lightly brushes (some bike yes, some bikes no) against the swingarm on the sides? Over the next 25,000 miles that will actually grind a hole in your swingarm. Pull the mudguard off and trim 1/4" off of each side so that there is NO contact with the swingarm (remember to account for suspension compression.. so trim it further up than you think)

Again.. congratulations on purchasing one of the most capable motorcycles ever designed. By learning form the Wisdom of the Forum your bike should easily last 100,000+ miles. We hope you enjoy learning from our mistakes :D

That'll start this thread. NEXT!

Remember gents, the objective here is just the essentials a new owner needs to know. The HOW is definitely the destination they're headed for... but this will give them some stuff to chew on before they get overwhelmed.
    :freaky
    Manny U and iluso like this.
  2. Head2Wind

Head2Wind MotorcycleMayhem

Oddometer:
    990/950 SWING ARM DRAIN HOLES: drill two 1/8 drain holes in bottom of swing arm legs just in forward of the welds. This way the swing arm will not retain water.

990 STARTING PROBLEMS: If the tach swings through its test sequence, 0-100-0, and when the starter button is pushed the starter motor does not turn but the tach goes through a test swing again, the battery or associated terminals are at fault. The ECU will trip out the safety latches when it senses too low of voltage, hence the no starter motor.
  3. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    This post is under construction:

As mentioned, if your mudguard touches your swingarm, it can cut grooves over time
    [​IMG]

Trimming of the mudguard as pictured below, solves the issue.
    [​IMG]

Sorry H2W.. I was still editing.
    I like the additional information you've posted "in front of the welds". :freaky
    Perhaps we can locate a link to one of the posts someone made showing the procedure.. I know pics have been posted a few times about it over the past few years.

I'll replace this post with useful information.

Someone want to take the time to explain ACC1 vs ACC2?
    iluso likes this.
  4. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    Fuel Pump, Waterpump and Clutch Slave:

These items are consumables to an extent, but many folks have come up with permanent "upgrades" that solve each issue long term.

For now? Don't sweat it. Things work from the factory just fine. Despite all of those BMW riders trying to convince you that your bike is flawed, you have nothing to worry about for thousands/10s of thousands of miles. Yes, you will want to address the waterpump, fuelpump and clutch slave preemptively eventually. Due to the nature of this motorcycle and its ability to take you to far away places, you will find many owners swap these items out long before they fail (so they are a common topic around here).

Note: If you purchased a used bike that is up in miles (say 15,000?), you might want to read up on these 3 items and put them on your radar. Some bikes have gone 50,000 miles without issue. Some bikes have had issues in less than 20,000 miles.

All cost less than a set of tires to fix.

speaking of which... you have budgeted huge amounts of money for tires right? 100hp + knobbies = a love/hate relationship :D
  5. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    I would add: DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE WHILE STARTING THE BIKE. The bike has hydraulic cam chain tensioners. If you blip the throttle when you are starting it and the chain tensioners haven't not come up to pressure, you'll get a huge clacking noise causing all BMW owners within earshot to make fun of you

950 Owners: OVERCHOKING Many 950s only need 1/3 or less choke to start.. even in the cold. If you have the choke open wide and the bike is not starting, trying starting it with 20% choke (or less) and working up from there. Again, resist the urge to give it some throttle.
    iluso and Y E T I like this.
  6. viola-tor

viola-tor Needs to ride!

Oddometer:
    Great thread idea Geek! :clap

Water Pump shaft issue. Lots of n00bs ask about known issues, and that's one we're all aware of and budget for/live with. The impeller shaft is made of a mysterious metal that changes between model years (hinting that KTM is aware of the problem but is not acknowledging it publicly). Over time the seal carves a groove in the shaft that allows the passage of coolant and oil, which is not a good thing. Symptoms are a wavy paper oil filter (pics on down the page here) and/or greyish "gunk" in the coolant overflow bottle and radiator cap. CJ Designs sells a heavy duty kit, and KTMtwins sells an OEM kit with everything ya need. I replace every 20,000 miles or so, but I hear the newer bikes have a stronger material (or maybe they are just newer? :D).

MPG
    is typically between 30-40 with variation depending on bike and rider, so don't panic if you don't get 50 mpg, and celebrate heartily if you do. 20's probably needs some attention...

TIRES tires are a personal choice, but here are some popular options in order of full on dirt rubber down to real street rubber for the KTM's 21" front and 18" rear wheel sizes:

Dirt-
    Terraflex rear (aggressive, not recommended for much street use)
    Dunlop 908 rear
    Dunlop 606 front
    Pirelli MT21 front
    TKC 80s front and rear
    Kenda Big Block front and rear

50/50 Pavement/Dirt -
    Mefo Super Explorers
    Hedenau (sp?) K60 scout

70/30 Pavement/Dirt -
    Pirelli Scorpion

Pavement/Sport Touring -
    Continental Trail Attack
    Avon Road Riders (is that the name?)

I'll be happy to nuke this post to keep the thread clean, just let me know.
  7. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    JUMP STARTING

Did you forget to turn your key off?
    The battery is located behind the front wheel (bottom front of the bike) in a little box (inside the skid plate).
    When you unscrew the front battery door it will swing down and hang from two wire straps.
    This is where you connect the jumper cables (although there are other ways to do it as you'll learn in the HOW).
  8. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    IT IS EASIER THAN YOU THINK TO TACO (BREAK) YOUR FRONT WHEEL:

Especially if you have a dirt riding background....
    Heavy bike + very soft front suspension(i.e. easily bottoms out) + soft metal front wheel = Broken front wheel if you aren't careful.

Just be forewarned that an obstacle you wouldn't notice on a dirtbike could leave you stranded on your 9x0. Once you get to know what your suspension's limits are, you won't have a problem. Just keep it in mind when going fast offroad. There are many aftermarket options available ranging from stiff rims to different fork valving for you to consider if you find you need it.

Another consideration: Heavy Bike + Offroad + Low Tire Pressure = PINCH FLATS.
    If you have a dirt background, you will find you need more air in your tubes than you are used to.

If you get a flat: You can USE THE SIDESTAND TO BREAK THE BEAD.
    Those big beefy rear tires can be a real struggle to get loose doing a trail side flat repair...

Here's Viola-tor fixing his 2nd flat in two miles somewhere in the middle of Wyoming (or were we in Montana?). :D
    As you can see in the photo, the bike is on the center stand. You then line your tire up with the side stand and lean your bike toward the tire to press with the stand and pop the bead off.

Works really well :thumb

[​IMG]
    iluso likes this.
  9. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    MUD + LOW FENDER = CRASH.

If you get into sticky mud your front tire can pack up and lock without warning. It is the reason so many of us have put high fenders on our bikes. Just keep it in mind the first time you are riding in the sticky stuff (it caught me off guard the first time it happened to me.. :eek1 )

950 Owners: THIS MEANS YOU.
    990 Owners: You have a little more clearance. When your buddy on the 950 falls down you should start to take notice that you are next :D

[​IMG]

TIP: 950 owners: You have a "crossover" brake line that is very close to the tire (suspended on the fender). If you get into a bind (pun!) and need to be able to move the bike without the front fender the brake line will be an issue (you literally won't be able to turn the front wheel as the mud will catch the brake line and rip it off).
    In an emergency, some inmates have had success with removing the right brake caliper (two bolts) and moving it up and over and actually hanging it on the left side of the wheel to get them out of the mud... (you always have 2 dozen zip ties with you right?) as soon as you are out of the mud.. put it back before you hurt yourself!.
    Disclaimer: This is NOT a safe thing to do (hence why I said in an "emergency").
    If you try this and fall down and scratch your fuel tanks.. it's your own fault.
  10. brents347

brents347 Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer:
    Paper oil filters are your friend!

And an important diagnostic tool. If you ever pull the oil filter during an oil change and find the filter pleats to be 'wavey' rather than straight you are heading towards a water pump failure like Geek mentioned a few posts up. Scoots reusable filters are nice but the forward knowledge of a water pump failure before it fills the tranny with water is priceless.

Great thread Geek!
    iluso and 426john like this.
  11. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    To follow up on what Brent said (despite him using Honda red instead of KTM orange :patch :rofl)...

This is normally what your oil filter will look like during an oil change:

[​IMG]

If your oil filter has waves in it, it is a sign that your water pump needs rebuilding (meaning the seal around the shaft that drives the water pump impeller is leaking and allowing coolant into your oil). The earlier bikes had a different seal and shaft that wore more quickly.. the new bikes have better materials. The new materials do fit in every 950/990 so if you have to replace them, make sure you get the new stuff!
    Old seal: brown. New seal: grey
    Old shafts: silver New shafts: dark grey/black

There are people with 50,000 miles on their original water pump seal. Some guys were unlucky with earlier bikes and have had them fail in under 10,000 miles.

This is the way your oil filter will look if it has been contaminated with coolant:
    [​IMG]

...and here is why you need to fix the problem ASAP: Water will cause the oil filter to collapse and starve the engine for oil!
    [​IMG]

IF you find your filter Wavy but have no choice but to keep riding, REMOVE THE FILTER all together. You are better off not filtering the oil while you get back to civilization than risking a filter collapse and starving the engine for oil

I don't have the energy.. someone want to step up and explain the various tips to make changing the oil easier? ... and to explain why the fuel tanks won't go back on the bike afterward? :rofl
    iluso likes this.
  12. goatdog

goatdog PTO

Oddometer:
    That made me chuckle.
  13. Yellow Pig

Yellow Pig Allergic to asphalt! Supporter

Oddometer:
    Here is a classic example of the right brake caliper bungied to the left side crash bars in order to get out of the mud.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Needless to say that the high fender kit and the dual brake lines were installed a few days after I got home.
  14. MP5

MP5 Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    Great thread guys. Super idea, even for someone who has now had both a 990 and now a 950 SE. I am constantly in the H.O.W "peruzing" its contents. I also am not shy on PM'ing many OC guys with lots of questions :deal. Thanks, btw, to all you guys.

I just ordered my water pump complete kit, my slave kit, peg extensions, tool pouch, oil filters and spark plug wrench from CJ. Mineral oil and HP Coolant and 5.1 DOT Brake Fluid is on the way aswell.

I've also been on the phone with Kenny at Alternate Cycle a few times regarding jetting and, tires, bars and hours of just shootin the shite about our bikes. (The guy loves talking KTM 990/950...Don't worry Kenny, you'll get my business too buddy lol). Both CJ and Ken, and all of the OC in general have been a phenomenal help to me over the past 5 years with both my bikes.

I may not be a complete NOOB on here....but these threads are an awesome tool for me too

Thanks Geek....Lovin my new bike btw. Feel sorry for Dan for selling it........nah, not really :D

Maintenance time....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  15. TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Forest Ranger Magnet Supporter

Oddometer:
    The easiest™ way to get the clutch oil jet out (after loosening it with a flathead screwdriver) is to grab a q-tip, dose it in a little axle grease and pluck the jet out of the cavity. Clean it out with some .1mm or similar sized guitar string. IMO it should be checked once a month to prevent premature clutch wear.

Two bolts on the upper fairing pieces (the ones with the turn signals) are longer than others and go in the topmost holes toward the handlebars.

The two bolts that hold the fuseblock in are different (more threads threads per unit area) then the rest of the glovebox bolts.

The stock right mirror mount point is on the fr. brake master cylinder. When you tip over there's a high possibility of it breaking; you have been warned.
    iluso likes this.
  16. Vicks

Vicks gets stuck in sand

Oddometer:
    ACC2 is switched and ACC1 is powered all the time irrespective of the ignition key/switch position. If you have an electrical accessory (heated grip/some other stuff/GPS) connected to ACC1 and leave it on after you ride/switch off the engine, the device will continue to be powered unless you turn it off yourself, draining the battery.

Also, the ACC1 and the clock share the same fuse. So if you fook up something on the ACC1 while connecting a device or something and create a short circuit etc, the fuse will blow. Even if you shift your device to ACC2, the clock on your display won't work bcos of the blown fuse. You can use one of the spare fuses provided. If you run out of spare fuses, and if you have a 990S/R without ABS, you can use the ABS fuse (which is also 10A).
    iluso likes this.
  17. charlie264

charlie264 Long timer

Oddometer:
    9*0 CHAIN SLIDER: YERY IMPORTANT.

KTM released a safety recall. The chain slider is a plastic protector that sits around the swing arm guiding and protecting the chain from the swing arm. If it becomes detached it may become entangled in the front sprocket causing the rear wheel to lock. Happened to a chap at 90mph on the slab.

Simple to check and resolve, remove the two bolts from the swing arm, clean and apply plenty blue thread lock i.e. loctite 243, and tighten to 6nm.
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=551666

[​IMG]
    iluso likes this.
  18. hattah79

hattah79 .

Oddometer:
    CALIPER SLIDE PINS

Check the rear and front brake calipers slide on the slide pins
    Where the caliper mounts to the bracket
    When changing rear tyre ( you will eat these up) remove caliper clean up grease pin

19. Geek

Geek oot & aboot

Oddometer:
    And I would add: When you take the headlight off the bike, you will find pre-wired and labled ACC1 and ACC2 spade connectors for hooking up accessories.

Remember: If you hook something to ACC1 and leave it on.. you will kill your battery (refer to jump starting procedure :D )
    iluso likes this.
  20. Apple Jam

Apple Jam Ride Oregon First

Oddometer:
    Yep. It'll break all right. Here's a photo of the broken piece on the right, after smacking my mirror.
    I got away with it, and it didn't leak any brake fluid.
    KTM offers a "right side mirror relocator" for $12.95. Buy it.

BTW, the BIG chunk, on the left.....that's the chunk from my engine case, because I didn't buy a side stand relocator soon enough !!!

[​IMG]
    iluso likes this.