Tiger 800XC Cockpit View

Discussion in 'Japanese polycylindered adventure bikes' started by Dubl-A, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

Hey that's clean! How do you like the Montana screen while riding? Also, can you elaborate on the wireless setup?? Thanks for the info :1drink
  2. Yossarian™

Yossarian™ Deputy Cultural Attaché

Oddometer:
    So far, I love the Montana. A true track-capable GPS that is readable in full sunlight. I usually run it at 80% brightness during the day and it's just about perfect. 50% at night gives me good readability without too much light output. I use the Garmin rugged mount and wire it to the front accessory socket for power.

As to the heated gear controller, here's the site that has a pretty good description of it:

http://www.warmnsafe.com/dual-remote-control-heat-troller/

In essence, the receiver lives in the jacket in a little pocket designed especially for it. The controller is paired to the receiver and uses a CR2032 battery as its power source. It allows 0-100% control of two independent channels. I have run the two channels as jacket+gloves and pants+socks, or jacket+pants+socks and gloves separate. It all works great.
  3. TriTi

TriTi Tiger Adventurer

Oddometer:
    I'm interested to know what you end up going with to mount your phone. I am thinking of mounting my HTC Evo 3d on my tiger 955i, I can't afford any of these crazy freaking expensive motorcycle GPS units.
  4. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    The power connector will be problematic. It is not designed for the excessive amount of vibration that it will see on a bike.
  5. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    I keep looking at the cool LED illuminated Triumph switch for my heated grips and lamenting that I didn't also get the fog lights. I'm waiting to install a set of LED fogs and would like to hook it up to the OEM Triumph fog switch. Anyone tried this yet?

-Tom
  6. Rob Dirt

Rob Dirt Riding my blues away

Oddometer:
    Yes. Not me, but I read where a guy bought the Triumph light switch & wiring to use with some other fog lights. It looks stock. He just looked up the part #s & got his dealer to order the parts.
  7. IL8APEX

IL8APEX Been here awhile

Oddometer:
    ^^^ Eeeeeexcellent.

Parts ren't too bad: I already have the heated grips, so the switch, mount, and screws are less than $40.

-Tom
  8. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Mini or Micro USB?

[​IMG]

Mini Left/ Micro Right

Micro seems to fit and hold better than mini.
  9. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    If you use an Otterbox they have plug protection. Although I wouldn't suggest leaving power connected during a rainfall.

[​IMG]
  10. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I have witnessed two failures of the Mini USB, both on phones mounted on bikes.
  11. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
  12. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    Na ... I like the BMW installed one better:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1C-Bxifv2Pk

Embedding attempt again:

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/1C-Bxifv2Pk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
  13. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

:lol3 The whole time I was looking at the dash trying to see the button. I actually have the same mod done to all my bikes but my sons are starting to charge a flat fee! :D
  14. cug

cug Out riding ...

Oddometer:
    :rofl My wife normally hears me coming home and opens the garage (it's just a press of a button from inside). So, I really don't need a mod ...
  15. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    My wife has become accustomed to the particular sounds of my bikes. She'll usually get the door open for me when I am on the 800XC or ZZR12 (both with quieter stock exhausts) just as I am pulling up the driveway. However, when I'm riding the 1098 the door is always wide open before I even turn onto our street. :lol3
  16. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    Did you purchase mounts for your Montana on each bike? What stuff are you running on them?
  17. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    I use RAM mounts on everything, so the Rugged Mount for the Montana moves from bike to bike, heat control from bike to bike, (former) Garmin 60Cx from bike to bike, etc. I also have a SPOT II RAM cradle, and in the past have used a SPOT I cradle, all mounted via RAM.
  18. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:
    So you just purchased the control units for each bike, same heated equipment? That's a great idea!
  19. Yossarian™

Oddometer:
    Cheaper than that, actually. The wireless heat-troller moves from bike to bike also, as it's just stuck on a RAM base, and takes about 15 seconds to move from one bike to another. Heated gear plugs into all of the bikes as I have hard-wired SAE plugs on everything (except the Tiger, which has two Powerlet-style plugs.) Just a couple different adapters to provide power to the jacket receiver get me heat on every ride.

RAM mounts are the best thing since LEGO toys! :lol3
  20. Dubl-A

Dubl-A SuckerDucker

Oddometer:

I'm thinking I may have to go this route as it seems the easiest and most hassle free. Thanks for all your info on this.

Just curious, how much did you have to invest in heat (for one bike)?